Leash cuff

Do you attach the leash cuff over wetsuit or under?

• Total voters

ChaseTMP

Billy Hamilton status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
Wild, I've been using one COL super lite for at least 4 years and the hook and loop are just starting to go. Even with 1-2 inches that won't stay attached, it handles shoulder high surf no problem. I wonder if you got a dud or if I got lucky. I LOVE this leash. I've surfed it on days it definitely wasn't intended for because I was too frothy and didn't think about it, it's never come off.
I have several other COL leashes and no issues. I guess I got a dud. Like I said, I LOVED it the first several sessions.

Rowjimmytour, no, I haven't wrapped a leash around my board since I was 11 (39 years ago). I walk to surf 98% of the time and keep my leashes' cords really loose and store my boards nose down with the leashes hanging down along the boards' lengths.

I'm not sure why I have pretty frequent issues with my leashes tangling. I stretch them out pretty well when I get a new one to minimize the tangling.

HSY

OTF status
Aug 15, 2011
I just recently tried under to keep my Creatures' Superlite Lite from coming undone, but it has this plastic pull that doesn't allow the wetsuit cuff to sit flush. I've never had ballooning with over the cuff.

The Creatures leash takes honorable mention for POS accessory of the last several years. Top honors goes to FCS' Freedom leash (1st iteration) that managed to get in between my toes almost every wave despite its ginormous stand-off. I think I also got hog-tied the one and only session I used that f-ing thing.

I was ready to hire a sky writing plane to sing the praises of the Creatures Superlite after the first session. It felt like there wasn't a leash attached to the board and I didn't step on it for a few sessions.

A week or so later the hook and loop were eggy with each other and didn't like staying connected. I would be paddling and it would just come undone randomly. I also now had the added bonus that it now liked to double loop around my ankle like some malicious serpent.

I put it away for a long time, but like having leashes on all my boards ready to go, so I put it on my fairly new Stamps Flare to see if it was as bad as I remembered. It was worse. It didn't come undone since I had it under my wetsuit cuff, but it was determined to have at least one wrap around my ankle when I was paddling for waves yesterday and today. Basura bound.
I've always like my creatures leashes but had a problem with a recent one. I happened to have bought it through their amazon store so I contacted them through that and they sent me a new one immediately. It has a two year warranty it turns out.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
I have several other COL leashes and no issues. I guess I got a dud. Like I said, I LOVED it the first several sessions.

Rowjimmytour, no, I haven't wrapped a leash around my board since I was 11 (39 years ago). I walk to surf 98% of the time and keep my leashes' cords really loose and store my boards nose down with the leashes hanging down along the boards' lengths.

I'm not sure why I have pretty frequent issues with my leashes tangling. I stretch them out pretty well when I get a new one to minimize the tangling.
Never had any issue with daKine 6' basic comp and 8' heavier one :shaka: I always cuff leash to beam etc and on string side use 2lb weight to stretch out over night:cheers:

Reactions: ChaseTMP

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
Same.

I always have problems with leashes. I take them off my board each session and hang them up (folded once in half) so they are in as natural a position as they could possibly be. They still wrap around my foot twice while I'm just sitting there. No brand has been better or worse (that I can tell). I figure it's just the way I move my feet under water.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Same.

I always have problems with leashes. I take them off my board each session and hang them up (folded once in half) so they are in as natural a position as they could possibly be. They still wrap around my foot twice while I'm just sitting there. No brand has been better or worse (that I can tell). I figure it's just the way I move my feet under water.
I roll my leash in loops roughly 9" diameter making sure leash goes in right direction then I cuff ankle and leash string strap around loop at top after each session. Also make sure to clean with fresh h20 after each surf:shaka:

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
you guys may want to check if your leash strings are too tight.

a rail saver at an awkward angle will jam and not allow the cord to swivel smoothly.

it always comes back to the leash string.
it's all connected bro. it's all strings. even the strings themselves are made of smaller strings.

i've got a theory about these strings but i don't yet know what to call it. string theory? no, that's dumb. no one would ever buy into that.

also i've never noticed before but string is kind of a wierd word if you say it enough. string. string.

string.

i feel like i'm mispelling it or that it shouldn't be a word.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
it's all connected bro. it's all strings. even the strings themselves are made of smaller strings.

i've got a theory about these strings but i don't yet know what to call it. string theory? no, that's dumb. no one would ever buy into that.

also i've never noticed before but string is kind of a wierd word if you say it enough. string. string.

string.

• Love
Reactions: jkb and Aruka

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA

string.

get some sleep and maybe cut back on the gummies, bro.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
I couldn't tell you what leash I have on my board. Not something I ever really thought of very often.