Leash cuff

Do you attach the leash cuff over wetsuit or under?

• Total voters

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Another important issue to discuss!
...you can tell I need a distraction from holiday weekend family time

Watching the dramatic finals day on Make or Break, I noticed Gabs puts his leash on then pulls wetsuit leg over the ankle cuff. I've never given it a thought before, but I think I've done it both ways. Since then, noticed I've only been doing it over the wetsuit- no tuck.
:ROFLMAO:
Who's got strong opinions?

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
I tried it under once after seeing someone else doing it and it drove me crazy

Dekerwild

OTF status
Jul 28, 2017
Under. Helps to keep, in my mind, the leash in one consistent spot and not rotate around as easily. If it’s a sketchy spot and I need to be able to remove the leash quickly, then over the wetsuit.

Reactions: ReForest

Dekerwild

OTF status
Jul 28, 2017
When I used to wear a leash I tried this, always got flushing.

I’ve been doing it since the beginning and it’s a habit by now. I’m gonna get flushed no matter what happens during s session. Does or could the leash cuff on the outside of the wetsuit help to hold water in the leg without proper drainage?? During winter, my back foot bootie seems to always be less full than my front foot due to the leash wrapped tightly around the ankle

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Always over then I tried under and kinda liked it but noticed stretched out suit cuff and went back to over.

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
I just recently tried under to keep my Creatures' Superlite Lite from coming undone, but it has this plastic pull that doesn't allow the wetsuit cuff to sit flush. I've never had ballooning with over the cuff.

The Creatures leash takes honorable mention for POS accessory of the last several years. Top honors goes to FCS' Freedom leash (1st iteration) that managed to get in between my toes almost every wave despite its ginormous stand-off. I think I also got hog-tied the one and only session I used that f-ing thing.

I was ready to hire a sky writing plane to sing the praises of the Creatures Superlite after the first session. It felt like there wasn't a leash attached to the board and I didn't step on it for a few sessions.

A week or so later the hook and loop were eggy with each other and didn't like staying connected. I would be paddling and it would just come undone randomly. I also now had the added bonus that it now liked to double loop around my ankle like some malicious serpent.

I put it away for a long time, but like having leashes on all my boards ready to go, so I put it on my fairly new Stamps Flare to see if it was as bad as I remembered. It was worse. It didn't come undone since I had it under my wetsuit cuff, but it was determined to have at least one wrap around my ankle when I was paddling for waves yesterday and today. Basura bound.

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Not only does it keep the leash in one spot on my ankle, it also prevents the leash from coming undone.
#UnderForTheWin :waving:

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
I just recently tried under to keep my Creatures' Superlite Lite from coming undone, but it has this plastic pull that doesn't allow the wetsuit cuff to sit flush. I've never had ballooning with over the cuff.

The Creatures leash takes honorable mention for POS accessory of the last several years. Top honors goes to FCS' Freedom leash (1st iteration) that managed to get in between my toes almost every wave despite its ginormous stand-off. I think I also got hog-tied the one and only session I used that f-ing thing.

I was ready to hire a sky writing plane to sing the praises of the Creatures Superlite after the first session. It felt like there wasn't a leash attached to the board and I didn't step on it for a few sessions.

A week or so later the hook and loop were eggy with each other and didn't like staying connected. I would be paddling and it would just come undone randomly. I also now had the added bonus that it now liked to double loop around my ankle like some malicious serpent.

I put it away for a long time, but like having leashes on all my boards ready to go, so I put it on my fairly new Stamps Flare to see if it was as bad as I remembered. It was worse. It didn't come undone since I had it under my wetsuit cuff, but it was determined to have at least one wrap around my ankle when I was paddling for waves yesterday and today. Basura bound.
Wild, I've been using one COL super lite for at least 4 years and the hook and loop are just starting to go. Even with 1-2 inches that won't stay attached, it handles shoulder high surf no problem. I wonder if you got a dud or if I got lucky. I LOVE this leash. I've surfed it on days it definitely wasn't intended for because I was too frothy and didn't think about it, it's never come off.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Wild, I've been using one COL super lite for at least 4 years and the hook and loop are just starting to go. Even with 1-2 inches that won't stay attached, it handles shoulder high surf no problem. I wonder if you got a dud or if I got lucky. I LOVE this leash. I've surfed it on days it definitely wasn't intended for because I was too frothy and didn't think about it, it's never come off.
Do you remove your leash from board after use? I think keeping leash coiled around board may be issue here and never recomend it:shaka:

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
same, I have 2 and they've been good so far. I even thought the light weight seemed to keep it out of the way
bummer @ChaseTMP