Learning the basics?

Check the ikitesurf.com classified foil/foilboard section, lots of Bay Area postings for wingboards, foilsurf boards, and foils
I would also advise on getting a full carbon foil for safety, you want that thing to be as light and benign as possible when it meets your face or other body parts. The few hundred dollars difference is made up in less than one medical billo_O

I rode a 2 ft mast for a while when learning to kite foil in the SF Bay but once I figured it out it was too short and subject to breaching - the chops get big on the Bay. Even a few inches longer makes a difference, I am on the 28.5" armstrong mast now.

Crissy Field is wing central now, just head there on any moderately windy day and you can check it out.

I just found this for you - this comes with two wings and a shorter mast for learning on, so you won't outgrow it right away

Last edited:

juandesooka

OTF status
Jan 12, 2009
I started early on curve for all the foil sports. There was no used gear and new too expensive, so we improvised. First sup foil was a concerted 9.t sup! First surf foil a diy beast must have been 60L. First wing foil a converted 7.6 door sup. But in retrospect it was quite a bit easier to learn on such big boards. And it was cheap.

Now there's tons of used stuff. The advancement and hype mean constant upgrading, so last year's must have is this year's 50 percent off. The rad gear from 3 years ago is perfect for learning...slow and stable.

You can upgrade foil and board later. Just like you are scrambling now to find gear, the new you will be just as stoked to buy it from you a year from now. So don't sweat it about having to upgrade quick.

But HDip is right...this is a gear hungry sport. That cost is paid by changng your life....both in how you see waves and in opening your mind to wind play. It will blow your mind.

HD also right about the suck level of those first 10 sessions. Big big helpings of humble pie, extra whipped cream. But also intensely Satisfying....the first time you stand, get on foil, stay on foil, turn on foil, pump on foil, etc...a series of best days ever that will make the world feel like kingdom of Oz. Yes, I'm stoked, it's that good

parkiteric

Nep status
Jul 3, 2010
Do you have time to drive North of the Golden gate to foil? That's where the best foil waves I've seen up there are. You are either going to learn to foil or your not. It's a fully committed sport. You have two ways in. Buy that unifoil setup I linked you. Take lessons. Lessons are cheaper. You will still need to buy that unifoil setup afterwards. So then lessons are more expensive in the long run? But you'll have a better foundation and get to the fun faster.

It's 10 sessions of falling. If you're not willing to commit to that, then just take a couple lessons and call it a day. Learning to fall is very important. How quickly you can get through 10 sessions will show you how quickly you can get through the learning phase. It could be 2 weeks, or it could be a whole season. How much do you surf?

Once you learn you will be upset when there are waves, because junky tiny waves are just so fun on the foil. Feels like you went on an Indonesian boat trip.

The other weird thing about this stupid sport is you hem and haw over the first purchase. You end up finding a deal on a foil setup for $1100 and it hurts to spend that much. In 3 months you're ready to spend $3k on a different setup. The most gear hungry surf sport there is I think.
not golf? lol. amateur golfers love to fall for the marketing tactics of big golf brandds.

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
Seal Beach. Josh at foilshop.com. I think @spoiledbythefoil on Instagram might do boat lessons. Either one of those guys will get you setup. If seal isn't to far for you, I would recommend Josh.

Apr 9, 2023
I'm actually in a similar boat and looking for some advice. I've been wanting to try something new and have always been intrigued by surfing. It's great to hear that you're interested in foiling!
While I don't have specific experience with motorized foils, I believe any time spent on the water and getting comfortable with balance and control will be beneficial. It could definitely help you build a foundation for when you transition to riding waves with a traditional foil.
By the way, if you're looking for surfing lessons, you should check out Cours de surf Capbreton. They offer great courses and can help you get started. I'm new here on the forum, but it's awesome to connect with fellow water sports enthusiasts.

Last edited: