Lately, in the environment, we need enforcers more than ever

Topazslider

OTF status
Jan 9, 2018
Luckily I have been going out early or to the less crowded spots, but this morning I had a late start so I was like fuck it, I am going to Porto. There was a small line to get into the lot and I was the first car to get to the south end, it seemed almost like a pre-pandemic era Monday morning with a shitty forecast.
After half an hour the ant line of kooks were parading into the water.
This guy paddles out to a group on a sandbar I was hanging out on and he sits up and I forget about him. I catch a few and every time I kick out or turn back around I see him burn someone. Three in total.
I paddle back out for a respite, letting everyone around me catch a couple, then finally I decide to take the next set. The burner guy just paddled back from a wave a minute ago and was sitting on my inside further out. He was on a Torq 9 footer and I was on a groveller so I was sitting deeper. Just as I am starting to pop up, here comes burner guy, and to avoid spearing his head with the nose of my board I grab the rails and jump back. I immediately yelled out: "Fucker!" He looked back bewildered as he went standing straight up, like all of the waves, without any style. The waves were small and sectiony, perfect for fun little turns.
So I was sitting out there waiting for him to paddle back out and then I see him walking 50 yards down the beach about to paddle back out into a bigger group.
I was hoping to berate him in front of all of the other people he burned, but after few more fun waves I left to work like it never happened.
So who are all of these kooks? Did they just spontaneously generate? Why did everyone decide to learn how to surf during a pandemic?
Since all of these newbies have no idea about etiquette and safety how will they learn?
Enter the enforcer(s). If you don't know what an enforcer is, google the "north shore wolf pack (pak)" or "da hui"

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
I have this same experience every time I surf Porto even prior to the boom of new corona virus surfers.

Its def got alt worse in the last few months though - other than yell or bark and potentially ruin your own session over a 2 foot closeout - I just shake my head while making eye contact. Porto is usually never worth a confrontation and when it is actually decent there it sort of regulates itself.

Reactions: Topazslider

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
i completely understand, but it is always better to find a different spot or paddle away. I always feel bad about screaming at someone even when in the right and it wont change their behavior. The last thing you want is for it escalate into fisticuffs, almost all the outcomes are bad and not worth it.

rts265

Phil Edwards status
Oct 19, 2007

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
I’ve found it best to let my local enforcers do the enforcing.

It‘s too much of a distraction to get pissed off and really conflicts with my goal of not being pissed off. often it just takes a passive aggressive sneer.

If anything more is needed, and one of my enforcer buddies isn’t there to regulate, I’ll paddle north or south to one of the many wonderful peaks my local has to offer that the kooks cannot seem to find without me first assuring them of a well ridden wave.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Luckily I have been going out early or to the less crowded spots, but this morning I had a late start so I was like fook it, I am going to Porto. There was a small line to get into the lot and I was the first car to get to the south end, it seemed almost like a pre-pandemic era Monday morning with a shitty forecast.
After half an hour the ant line of kooks were parading into the water.
This guy paddles out to a group on a sandbar I was hanging out on and he sits up and I forget about him. I catch a few and every time I kick out or turn back around I see him burn someone. Three in total.
I paddle back out for a respite, letting everyone around me catch a couple, then finally I decide to take the next set. The burner guy just paddled back from a wave a minute ago and was sitting on my inside further out. He was on a Torq 9 footer and I was on a groveller so I was sitting deeper. Just as I am starting to pop up, here comes burner guy, and to avoid spearing his head with the nose of my board I grab the rails and jump back. I immediately yelled out: "Fucker!" He looked back bewildered as he went standing straight up, like all of the waves, without any style. The waves were small and sectiony, perfect for fun little turns.
So I was sitting out there waiting for him to paddle back out and then I see him walking 50 yards down the beach about to paddle back out into a bigger group.
I was hoping to berate him in front of all of the other people he burned, but after few more fun waves I left to work like it never happened.
So who are all of these kooks? Did they just spontaneously generate? Why did everyone decide to learn how to surf during a pandemic?
Since all of these newbies have no idea about etiquette and safety how will they learn?
Enter the enforcer(s). If you don't know what an enforcer is, google the "north shore wolf pack (pak)" or "da hui"
Surf school grads.

Better off at Zapot. Surf on Saturday in that area was small but mucho fun.

I've thought about saying something when I see people burn others, like, "Hey , you know there was someone behind you on that one." Or "You should look before you paddle, someone might already be on the wave." But half the time the waves are so lame it's not even worth it. Sound like your case.

I was just watching the Malibu cam. Talk about anarchy. I wonder if the guys burning other out there feel any shame? Probably not.

Last edited:

doc_flavonoid

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 27, 2019
buncha bitches. you all are exactly why this whole shitshow got out of hand. if ur not willing to step up and take some responsibility for enforcing, then you got no right whining about it.

the irony of it completely lost to a whole generation of stoneless wonders

as uncle dave says "if your not willing to fight for it, you got no claim on it when its taken away"

2surf

Duke status
Apr 12, 2004
California USA
www.allcare.com
It cracks me up when a not west coast surfer chimes in on a thread like this. West coast beach breaks are generally wall to wall closeouts. You just don't paddle down the beach looking for a peak. Reefs, jetties piers, and points are the options and all are localized. Also, consistency and cold water is a factor. 10 guys out, four 3 wave sets an hour = 7 guys freezing their nuts off waiting for a wave. Do you want to learn to surf? Start in Florida or Texas where you can catch 30 waves an hour at your own peak. Move to California and rule any spot you choose.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
It cracks me up when a not west coast surfer chimes in on a thread like this. West coast beach breaks are generally wall to wall closeouts. You just don't paddle down the beach looking for a peak. Reefs, jetties piers, and points are the options and all are localized. Also, consistency and cold water is a factor. 10 guys out, four 3 wave sets an hour = 7 guys freezing their nuts off waiting for a wave. Do you want to learn to surf? Start in Florida or Texas where you can catch 30 waves an hour at your own peak. Move to California and rule any spot you choose.
Four 3 wave sets an hour is bullshit when I'm solo. If I'm only getting 4 waves an hour (assuming it's not 8'+), damn, I'm going to evaluate my life choices. :roflmao:

As far as regulating, that's exhausting. I might bark at or stinkeye a bad behaver but man, I'd just rather have peace, quiet, and chill in the water. And no, I will not be attending Lowers this Labor Day. :roflmao:

tbuc

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jun 12, 2006
This could have gone in the "people with kids who surf thread" but didn't really fit

Last Thursday afternoon surfing Leo, about 20 longboarders hugging the rock and jockeying for the occasional 3 footer like
it's pipeline. Just on the inside, not waaay inside, a guy on a shortboard trying to push is 8 year old son into
waves on a pink soft top. Not sure what he was thinking, but a perfect opportunity for both of them to get KO'd. Of all the
places to try and get your son into a couple of waves... Leo's not one of them.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
buncha bitches. you all are exactly why this whole shitshow got out of hand. if ur not willing to step up and take some responsibility for enforcing, then you got no right whining about it.

the irony of it completely lost to a whole generation of stoneless wonders

as uncle dave says "if your not willing to fight for it, you got no claim on it when its taken away"
Throwing down for waist high porto?:ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO: