Late season North Shore?

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
The only issue with the crack down on illegal rentals is a lot of units are now sitting empty. I talked to a few people I know and they told me they'll just let their units sit empty and let family and friends stay in it. Which is probably a way of saying they will still rent it out occasionally but they just won't advertise it on Airbnb.com. These people, who are all wealthy, told me explicitly that they don't want to deal with long term renters.

Reactions: huryanpost

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
These people, who are all wealthy, told me explicitly that they don't want to deal with long term renters.
Wow. Is it really hard to evict people in the State of Hawaii, or is it that it's less lucrative, or was there some reason you were given as to why they didn't want long term renters?

I ask because in Florida it's kind of the season vs year tradeoff for Central/South Florida, and lots of "affordable" places (including where I live) I get the distinct impression if you're on time with rent and no worse than indifferent/neglect, like no active destruction, people are very inclined to keep you happy. The feedback I get is that they want this to be more long-term passive monthly recurring revenue vs. having to go through the clean up/fix up, solicit tenants, finally find one, late on rent, eviction headaches, clean up/fix up...

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
Most of these units are attached to the main houses but with separate entrances. These are very nice houses in a very expensive area. These owners prefer to not have long term renters since there's no flexibility. A lot of them would fence off dates for visiting friends/family, holidays, etc...That's all gone. And since they have money already, it'll just sit empty since the regular monthly income is peanuts to them.

To give you an idea, monthly income for a long term renter might yield $2K - $2.5K. Airbnb places were going for $300 to $600 per night.

Reactions: Sharkbiscuit

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
I think what a lot of these people are complaining about isn't long term vs short term, but that with short term the can rack up the cleaning fees. If you get a new guest every 3-5 days, that's 6-10 cleaning fees you can charge. Some places I've stayed at charged me $180 for cleaning fee. That's $1,100 to $1,800 a month! If you do it yourself or if you outsource, that's still a nice chunk of income.

I wonder what / if anything Airbnb is doing to not let hosts use their site for marketing (as a long term rental) but then taking the booking offline (short term)?

Last edited:

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Staying in Honolulu and driving daily to the NS is of ZERO interest to me. I hate cities.

The Marriott in Laie is your best bet. Looks like rates for your time of year will run you about $300/night.

You could always stay at the backpacker's hostel by 3 tables. Much cheaper.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Got his money back but also got a bunch of messages from the host asking him to rebook and that the AirBnB owners weren't gonna back down in the face of the new law. That the island will eventually see things their way cause tourism was gonna plummet so nothing to worry about.

He told me he googled the address and the place they rented was FOR SALE on Redfin lol!
Air Bnb is a hotbed for scams. Anytime a hosts asks you to book offline is a red flag.

fishtank

Gerry Lopez status
Jun 20, 2010
Air Bnb is a hotbed for scams. Anytime a hosts asks you to book offline is a red flag.
I do that to get a better rate. Search properties on there and booking, try to get their contact info and negotiate a cheaper rate because no service fee. Luckily no scams, would only pay for a week max at a time. Usually you can gauge a person pretty well when meeting in person.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
I do that to get a better rate. Search properties on there and booking, try to get their contact info and negotiate a cheaper rate because no service fee. Luckily no scams, would only pay for a week max at a time. Usually you can gauge a person pretty well when meeting in person.
Nothing wrong with that, just something to be vigilant about. Especially if you are traveling during peak season where you could get stuck with no other options.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Billabong, Oneill, Quiksilver and Volcom all own their houses. I think the Hurley house is owned by the Coffin Family, so it might not be considered a "rental" financially. Oakley used to own their house but I think they sold it. I think Rip Curl and Vans rent their houses by OTW and Ehukai but they rent for 30+ days.