Last minute surf trip recs?

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Had not been in a while but sort of a surf ghetto vibe when I was there, also it is hard breaking beach break, maybe not easiest on your hip.

Reactions: casa_mugrienta

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
Hawaii seems the easiest to maximize surf time to me, but the rental car/everyone else going on Hawaiian vacations thing is a problem. I've been trying to eye up something similar in mainland but haven't landed on anything yet.

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
Playa Hermosa? Hawaii?

Playa Hermosa looks like a good bet but how to sort through the crap? Seems like cringe vibes.
Playa Hermosa is one of my favorite places on earth.,. the vibe is magic IMO. so many cool locals, easy access to all CR has to offer, and the wave is consistent, and fun. closeouts alot but huge barrels none the less. there is also a ton of really fun waves within 10-30 minute drive. reefs, points, more beachbreak. Doable on that budget for sure.

Redeye flight has you in PH and surfing by 8a.m. its a no brainer for me.

oh and if you rent a car which you will want. have your hotel book it in Jaco..way cheaper than in San Jose and if the hotel calls no gringo tax/ fake insurance b.s.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: rowjimmytour

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Playa Hermosa is one of my favorite places on earth.,. the vibe is magic IMO. so may cool locals, easy access to all CR has to offer, and the wave is consistent, and fun. closeouts alot but huge barrels none the less. there is also a ton of really fun waves within 10-30 minute drive. reefs, points, more beachbreak. Doable on that budget for sure.

Redeye flight has you in PH and surfing by 8a.m. its a no brainer for me.
Where to stay though?

Who's good with the rental car?

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Where to stay though?

Who's good with the rental car?
id recommend the hermosa inn. they have a studio apartment thats well worht the 100 bucks a night with a full kitchen..2 beds, right in front of the main peak and sandwiched between the best restaurants on the beach. they also have a 2 or 3 bedroom option too.nice little pool in the shade, and the lady that owns it is a legend. shes the best. she will call the rental car for you, and if you take her shuttle to/from the airport - the driver will be the one who can tell you about all the other spots in the area - maybe even offer up his boat or a ride to the further spots. none are considered secret but you def have to know where to look.

backyard hotel is another good option - they have a hundred dollar studio but no full kitchen. Tico owned and operated. Theyll call the rental car for you too and all that. free breakfast in the attached restaurant.

pre covid i went every year for the last ten in April/May as a bday gift to myself. never get tired of the place.

Reactions: scdad

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
i'll also add that while CR has a rep for being crowded. PH on the best days maayyybe there'd be 15 guys on the main peak. then about 5 miles of empty peaks if you want to surf alone. the place self regulates and head high to overhead you'll have your pick of whatever waves your in position for.

Yewstreet

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 8, 2019
Tides look good for El Salvador especially at the start of the week (morning low tide).

You're a schwagular foot; could be good.
Avoid El Zonte (for now) - I was looking at going there, all places booked. Was wondering why and then saw the ISA Qualifiers start next week. That joint will be packed!

Reactions: Sharkbiscuit

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Avoid El Zonte (for now) - I was looking at going there, all places booked. Was wondering why and then saw the ISA Qualifiers start next week. That joint will be packed!
Oh snap, yeah, maybe skip El Salvador next week entirely; my bad Casa Moogsies but I used it as a warmup trip for P-Squaw beatings for years and it's been much better to me than Costa Rica or Nicaragua.

I would expect Mango, Flores, and Roca to be crowd blown for the duration.

Might I suggest Huntington Beach? I'd be on my way to the airport if this windswell/cutoff low wasn't set to deliver. J/K have a good trip wherever you go.

• Haha
Reactions: MathDebater