Large fins vs. Medium fins for medium sized surfers...@ 130lbs Lakey rides size L, Filipe "always" rides size L @ 155lbs

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
I found this pretty interesting over the weekend...
I was at XTR talking about a new board (keel fin) I just picked up and Javier was checking out my fins. I had the NVS Album Fascination fins. We weighed the board and it was 6.2 lbs. I was a little surprised because that sounded a little heavy. Javi was surprised too.

We took the fins out and weighed them alone. They are 1lbs.

Board alone was 5.2lbs (obviously).

Another interesting note... water came out of the fin box when we took the fins out. Obviously, from the holes at the base of the futures fins, and obviously that water adds a small amount of weight too. Javier suggested stuffing the holes in the bottom with XTR foam to keep the water out.

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Sorry... the point of the story was to share how heavy the fins are. Doesnt a pound sound a little heavy?

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
"NVS was born out of a joint venture between a group of San Diego and Italian friends, dissatisfied with the surf industry.

We believe that a vast majority of surf products are over-priced and we decided to do something about it.

We set out to design and manufacture the highest quality surf accessories, while making them more affordable for surfers. After years of development and meticulous testing with our team riders, we've come up with what we believe are the best products on the market, at a fraction of the cost.

An integral part of our development has been the elimination of unnecessary aspects of the whole process to reduce the cost passed onto our customers. We embrace modern strategies of e-commerce and are working to implement crowd-sourcing in every aspect of our business, from design to sale, so YOU can be part of the next big thing in surfing.

- Join us, surf naked."

Nice. Sounds like they channeled the spirit of Luc and Holly Stokes.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island

SAN DIEGO, CA (PRWEB) APRIL 8, 2010

The surfing world is often times one fraught with hypocrisy. On one hand are the environmental advocates, which lobby heavily for the protection of local beaches and aquatic life; on the other, are those very same surfers who are diehard promoters for surfing gear and equipment whose production are known to harm the environment.

Fiberglass surfboards, a longtime staple in the surf community are a source of VOC (volatile organic compounds) a highly toxic by product of the foam and resin necessary for the construction of each board. The dense foam core of each board makes it difficult for these boards to break down in landfills.

While a stronger, greener alternative does exist, hardcore surfers refuse to give up fiberglass for the more environmentally friendly epoxy, claiming that epoxy boards don’t have the same responsiveness and flex.

The community has long been in struggle to find an amicable solution and as of 2009, a small San Diego based business has developed just that. Luc Stokes, owner of http://www.Degree33Surfboards.com has implemented NexGen, a new construction that allows for surfboards to be lighter, stronger, and consequently easier to surf, but also considerably greener than an equivalent fiberglass or epoxy board...

ehiunno

OTF status
Dec 27, 2019
Sorry... the point of the story was to share how heavy the fins are. Doesnt a pound sound a little heavy?
NVS are all g10 right?

I recently got the new Coffin futures fin, my first fiberglass set in who knows how long. I immediately noticed how heavy they felt. I weighted them out, three fins comes out to 9.9 ounces total. For comparison purposes the JJF medium comes in at 7.4 ounces.

I highly doubt that 2.5 ounce difference is meaningful when surfing, but it was interesting to me how obvious the weight increase was handling the fin.

A full pound does seem really heavy though!

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
NVS are all g10 right?

I recently got the new Coffin futures fin, my first fiberglass set in who knows how long. I immediately noticed how heavy they felt. I weighted them out, three fins comes out to 9.9 ounces total. For comparison purposes the JJF medium comes in at 7.4 ounces.

I highly doubt that 2.5 ounce difference is meaningful when surfing, but it was interesting to me how obvious the weight increase was handling the fin.

A full pound does seem really heavy though!
That's how i feel.
Might not matter that much in the water, but then again, it might. I like the stiffness and strength of the NVS, but the weight is noticeable.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Weigh again in water. That’s the weight that matters, unless you’re doing airs.

whats the weight of sea water in sea water?

where the pics of the new pro, btw.

Last edited:
Reactions: trifish

CCKeith

Gerry Lopez status
May 13, 2014
so guys as me now at a constant didavantage cuase we ride Ls and theres no XLs? way too funny

• Haha
Reactions: sdsrfr

trifish

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
I found this pretty interesting over the weekend...
I was at XTR talking about a new board (keel fin) I just picked up and Javier was checking out my fins. I had the NVS Album Fascination fins. We weighed the board and it was 6.2 lbs. I was a little surprised because that sounded a little heavy. Javi was surprised too.

We took the fins out and weighed them alone. They are 1lbs.

Board alone was 5.2lbs (obviously).

Another interesting note... water came out of the fin box when we took the fins out. Obviously, from the holes at the base of the futures fins, and obviously that water adds a small amount of weight too. Javier suggested stuffing the holes in the bottom with XTR foam to keep the water out.
Not sure what your used to, but they are very similar in weight to my fiberglass twin sets. 4.5 ounces each on my desk scale. Sounds like his scale might be a bit on the heavy side. Also if your used to thruster sets, twin sets are heavier per fin with all that surface area in the same construction.

Reactions: Aruka

Waterlogged05

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2005
The madness as my skateboarding friend calls it. The more you look into stuff the more madness you get and you start doing weird things in the pursuit

• Haha
Reactions: rowjimmytour