LAKERS

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017
Really Bob? You just had to re visit this thread? Lol
Yea lakes are barely treading right now, down but not out!

Bob

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2001
Oxnard
Surprisingly good - for the Knicks. They got absolutely demolished by Denver. They were competitive for three quarters vs the Suns, but.....

Nets, Bucks, and 76ers are the relevant teams in the East, real talk. Obviously as a Knicks fan, the 76ers, Jazz, Suns, etc. are trash. But the Knicks can't match up against big teams.
Obviously as a Knicks fan, the 76ers, Jazz, Suns, etc. are trash. But the Knicks can't match up against big teams.
See you here tomorrow after Suns, Knicks game tonight.:) Are Clippers, Bucks, Denver big teams? This year only? What's your definition of a "big team"?

surfadelphia

Nep status
Nov 15, 2010
It's fun and good for the league for the Knicks to be good. This team is more of a feel good story than actually good. Randle looks really nice this year but Thibs minutes is going to wear him out.

Did any of you Lakers fans see Lebrons cheap shot on Embiid earlier this season? Lebron is corny as hell....Go Sixers

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Obviously as a Knicks fan, the 76ers, Jazz, Suns, etc. are trash. But the Knicks can't match up against big teams.
See you here tomorrow after Suns, Knicks game tonight.:) Are Clippers, Bucks, Denver big teams? This year only? What's your definition of a "big team"?
I'm giving you a brief bit of candor there and admitting 4th in the East is the Knick's ceiling, and that's something like 7th in the West. With LeBron and AD hurt. Otherwise it's 8th. Then I'm right back to NY homer trash talk. The Jazz and Suns suck!

Denver is a big team. The Knicks got clowned down low and couldn't hit anything from distance. A team like Houston last year where everyone is 6'3" is not a big team. A team of LeBron, Zion, and some 7 footers would be a very big team indeed.

If the Knicks play a big team, they can't reliably score from down low. They can't stop anything in the paint. They will get 0 rebounds.

If they can shoot lights out and the other team is lazy/sloppy and the Knicks defense (outside the paint vs bigs) tells, then they can win. That's a lot of ifs, especially in a 7 game series.

Bob

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2001
Oxnard
I'm giving you a brief bit of candor there and admitting 4th in the East is the Knick's ceiling, and that's something like 7th in the West. With LeBron and AD hurt. Otherwise it's 8th. Then I'm right back to NY homer trash talk. The Jazz and Suns suck!

Denver is a big team. The Knicks got clowned down low and couldn't hit anything from distance. A team like Houston last year where everyone is 6'3" is not a big team. A team of LeBron, Zion, and some 7 footers would be a very big team indeed.

If the Knicks play a big team, they can't reliably score from down low. They can't stop anything in the paint. They will get 0 rebounds.

If they can shoot lights out and the other team is lazy/sloppy and the Knicks defense (outside the paint vs bigs) tells, then they can win. That's a lot of ifs, especially in a 7 game series.
Ok, I understand a bit. You are coming from being a Knick fan, not really from an NBA
standpoint. As a Knick fan, its been a long time for you.
I was a knick fan until I moved for school and ended up living in Utah and loved Jerry Sloan and their win with less attitude.

Bob

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2001
Oxnard
I agree the NBA is a better place with the Knicks, Celtics, Lakers being
relevant. Miami too. Do they at times get better treatment? After watching Laker/Jazz for 40 years, I'd say so.:cursing: I was rooting for the Knicks last night and watched them suck in the 4th quarter after the Jazz game was over (league pass). Cant' be doing that come playoff time.:shameonyou::shameonyou:

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
I agree the NBA is a better place with the Knicks, Celtics, Lakers being
relevant. Miami too. Do they at times get better treatment? After watching Laker/Jazz for 40 years, I'd say so.:cursing: I was rooting for the Knicks last night and watched them suck in the 4th quarter after the Jazz game was over (league pass). Cant' be doing that come playoff time.:shameonyou::shameonyou:
The Knicks might beat the Hawks otherwise just making the playoffs was an achievement.

Miami imho doesn't count for sh!t. Miami's a terrible sports town and always has been. The southern-most place sports is worth a sh!t in Florida is Gainesville. I am pretty sure the St. Pete Tribune didn't even know the Lightning won the Stanley Cup one year. Even the Bucs barely seem popular, and that's with Brady. The Marlins win a World Series and immediately can't afford their starting pitchers.

I agree about the Knicks in terms of the NYC market, but the Celtics and Lakers are actual basketball franchises. The Knicks are a default option that were good for a couple years in the 70s.

IMHO the biggest name that's down right now is the Bulls, and I'd say the Pistons are more important than the Heat too.

I would look for Portland and Utah in the West, and Milwaukee in the East, to get completely and utterly jobbed by the refs in the playoffs. Absolutely nobody wants a Utah vs Wisconsin NBA final in a marketing sense. Everyone and their brother selling ad time wants LeBron and AD back to meme the Clips vs Lakes series, then have the winner of that play an all-healthy Nets superteam.

Bob

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2001
Oxnard
IMHO the biggest name that's down right now is the Bulls, and I'd say the Pistons are more important than the Heat too.

Bulls are nothing but a memory without Jordan. Pistons are another memory. Heat have been relevant since LeBron. And have better management.
Are you in your forties?

warble2

Gerry Lopez status
May 5, 2008
The people's MVP is out here creating memes in anticipation of that 7 and 8 seed matchup. Warriors dynasty ain't dead yet

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach

Bulls are nothing but a memory without Jordan. Pistons are another memory. Heat have been relevant since LeBron. And have better management.
Are you in your forties?
I'm 40. I just don't think Miami's a great sports city, but Chicago is a massive market and supports two baseball teams.

Bob

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2001
Oxnard
I'm 40. I just don't think Miami's a great sports city, but Chicago is a massive market and supports two baseball teams.
I could tell your age by your opinions. There was an NBA before you were born.
And you weren't even born yet when the Knicks were good.:foreheadslap:
Walt Frazier
Dick Barnett
Cazzie Russell
Phil Jackson
Dave DeBusschere
Willis Reed
Walt Bellamy
Bill Bradley

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017
Game on today!
what’s up nba fans!
who’s watching the playoff?
who you got?:cheers:

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Watched Julius Randle build an Atlanta Cabin in Madison Square Garden with all those bricks he was laying. That shooting display just sucked.

Watched everything start wrong for Brooklyn and they still outclassed Boston easily. I've got that one penciled in for a sweep.

Clippies tanked to draw the Mavs and got completely Doncic Punched for their troubles, lol.

LeBron needs some rest and rehab.

Reactions: JBerry

smithgrind

Nep status
Dec 25, 2009
PNW
Great weekend of playoff games over the weekend. Some surprises (Mavs, Grizz) some givens (Nets, Sixers) and some so close (Hawks, Bucks). I’m looking forward to see how
it all develops through the second season.
At this early point I like the Nets and Suns in the final. It could just as easily be the Sixers
and Lakers. Feels pretty open if you toss out the Knicks, Hawks, Grizz, Wiz and Nugs.
for the record I’m a long suffering Knicks fan. Stocked for their season so far though last night was an absolute disaster.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
last night was an absolute disaster.
????

Randle played like absolute garbage and Young got all in the paint.

The Knicks are a good defensive team; I expect some adjustments to force Young into shittier looks. Randle can't get any worse, and they swept the Hawks in the regular season.

I mean it was a shitty way to cap off a fun weekend of surf-soreness but we watched them slump early, fight back, and get beat with seconds left in the playoffs. Beats the Knicks tanking since early February.

Anywho they lost a close game in a 4 vs 5 series. It's not like Dolan paid up for AD and LeBron and stunk the shop up. It's not like they're the #1 seed Utah Jazz, talking smack to Knicks fans, then toting a home L to something called a Memphis Grizzly, which sounds like a cross between a Cleveland Steamer and a Dirty Sanchez.

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
Lebron is arguably one of the most talented players ever. He's an athletic freak. I'm glad he's on the Lakers.

That being said, he's such a drama queen. I get it is part of his game, but I just cringe every time I see him flop around on the floor. I just shook my head when Chris Paul grabbed his arm and he flops around for a few minutes.

Compare his game to Kobe who was a stone cold killer that never showed weakness.