Lake Mead water ... What will California do when it's gone??

N2Stock

OTF status
Mar 13, 2022
we just need to build an aquaduct to canada and get all of that fresh mountain spring water

carvinmarvinfoster

OTF status
May 8, 2003
CA
Wanting people to conserve water is a good idea, but good luck getting people to actually do it. I do a lot of work in Montecito(a wealthy community near Santa Barbara), and I’ve never seen a property that wasn’t lush and green. The gardeners on these properties are constantly watering, with no care in the world about the dwindling water supply. And these are not small properties. Most of these properties are behind gates and walls, so the average Joe driving by has no idea how much water is being used everyday to keep the lawns and shrubs green. And it’s not uncommon to see the gardeners hosing off large patios and walkways.
There was a time when these properties were being fined for using too much water, but what’s a couple of thousand dollars fine to a person worth a couple of hundred million?

• Angry
Reactions: One-Off

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
We lived in Santa Barbara during the drought affecting lake cachuma. Our backyard was brown (mostly due to the types of grass the Spaniards imported to feed cattle) and we would take navy showers and flush rarely. SB evetullay built a desal plant that came online as Cachuma overflowed and was then mothballed.

The way to handle the problem you describe is public opprobrium.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
Wanting people to conserve water is a good idea, but good luck getting people to actually do it. I do a lot of work in Montecito(a wealthy community near Santa Barbara), and I’ve never seen a property that wasn’t lush and green. The gardeners on these properties are constantly watering, with no care in the world about the dwindling water supply. And these are not small properties. Most of these properties are behind gates and walls, so the average Joe driving by has no idea how much water is being used everyday to keep the lawns and shrubs green. And it’s not uncommon to see the gardeners hosing off large patios and walkways.
There was a time when these properties were being fined for using too much water, but what’s a couple of thousand dollars fine to a person worth a couple of hundred million?
A lot of the Montecito Millionaires buy water from farmers, who can make more $$ selling water allotments to estates than they can growing broccoli.

• Sad
Reactions: grapedrink

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
The solution is mitigation. Instead our political leaders and experts scream at the rain.
remember this? For the $100 billion and two decades wasted, how many power and water problems could we have solved?
We seem to be throwing money at solutions that do not solve any problems. The solution to massive car usage, for example, is to build cities the old-fashioned way along with some local public transportation not overrun with violent, defecating dope fiends.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Water cost should be on a sliding scale, going up exponentially once you're past a reasonable amount. It would put a quick end to artificial waves and more golf courses in the Southwest desert.

Reactions: tacos and PPK96754

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Water cost should be on a sliding scale, going up exponentially once you're past a reasonable amount. It would put a quick end to artificial waves and more golf courses in the Southwest desert.
Residential water bills are structured that way, so I don't see why it would be any different for a business.

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
Business and industry are billed on a sliding scale and their rate schedule is determined by meter size. AS far as I know, the majority of golf courses and parks in So. Cal. are irrigated with reclaimed water. Golf courses and industrial cooling are the biggest customers/consumers of reclaimed water and will continue to be until the general public accepts reclaimed water for potable and non-potable domestic use. The few golf that aren't irrigated with reclaimed water should be.... As for wave pools, it's asinine for any agency to grant permits for their construction.
The dilemma is that we are under pressure to build more and more housing but we don't have the water (and electricity) resources to support this development....
In lieu of dumping more $$$$$ into the train to nowhere, we should be building potable reuse and desal plants for water and small nuke plants for power. Unfortunately, the "green" crowd won't allow it.....

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Business and industry are billed on a sliding scale and their rate schedule is determined by meter size. AS far as I know, the majority of golf courses and parks in So. Cal. are irrigated with reclaimed water. Golf courses and industrial cooling are the biggest customers/consumers of reclaimed water and will continue to be until the general public accepts reclaimed water for potable and non-potable domestic use. The few golf that aren't irrigated with reclaimed water should be.... As for wave pools, it's asinine for any agency to grant permits for their construction.
The dilemma is that we are under pressure to build more and more housing but we don't have the water (and electricity) resources to support this development....
In lieu of dumping more $$$$$ into the train to nowhere, we should be building potable reuse and desal plants for water and small nuke plants for power. Unfortunately, the "green" crowd won't allow it.....
I think one of the biggest, if not the biggest users of water in LA County is my former employer- LAUSD. A lot of football and baseball fields to water. All sports fields should switch probably switch to artificial turf, althought introducing another petro product and its end of life disposal issues is another mess...

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
I think one of the biggest, if not the biggest users of water in LA County is my former employer- LAUSD. A lot of football and baseball fields to water. All sports fields should switch probably switch to artificial turf, althought introducing another petro product and its end of life disposal issues is another mess...
Because water is a huge expense, most school districts in San Diego County have installed artificial turf on the sports fields. From what I've heard, the ROI is pretty short. I'd assume this is the case for most of the State.