Lake Mead water ... What will California do when it's gone??

doc_flavonoid

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 27, 2019
Urban water is 10% in California. Most of these, while legitimate ways of saving water, are bandaids on a broken leg in the grand scheme of things.
two words, actually one- overpopulation

but hey, we can always increase the region's carrying capacity through technology and regulation. right?

Reactions: Driftcoast

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach

but hey, we can always increase the region's carrying capacity through technology and regulation. right?
Extra people certainly don’t help, but the numbers are pretty clear. Agriculture and the environment account for the vast majority (~90%) of water use.

Reactions: PJ and One-Off

doc_flavonoid

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 27, 2019
Extra people certainly don’t help, but the numbers are pretty clear. Agriculture and the environment account for the vast majority (~90%) of water use.

agriculture as in producing food and wine for humans and environment as in restoring habitat altered by human population?

Reactions: Driftcoast

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
agriculture as in producing food and wine for humans and environment as in restoring habitat altered by human population?
Yes, all of that is important. However no matter how you slice it there is no getting around the quantity used.

We also still have flood irrigation on some farming operations and water going into the ocean when we have heavy rains, so there is room for improvement on the efficiency and storage sides of the equation.

Reactions: laidback

drainer

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 27, 2009
Lewdcadia
During a previous thread I asked about housing density and water supply.

The reply was "Those who ask such questions are simpletons who can f*ck off...there are great water technologies solving this issue...but I don't know what those technologies are."

Check it out:

Screen Shot 2022-06-17 at 8.31.07 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-06-17 at 8.32.30 PM.png

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
Drove up the I-5 not long ago and there were thousands of acres of nut trees, all super high water users.

Bayview

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 21, 2009
NJ
I realize what I am about to say isn't a long term fix, but..each Californian needs to conserve. There are ways to do it.

Take a "marine" shower. Get wet, turn off the water, soap up and wash, then turn the water back on and rinse.

Don't flush if you pee for a day. Then flush. Poop, ok, its gotta go.

When brushing your teeth or washing your hands, shut down the water while you do said task, then turn the water on to finish.

Always think about turning off the faucet immediately, regardless of what you are doing.

Don't water your lawn. Xeriscape with plants that need very little -if any -water.

In a state with a large population like California, it can make a difference.

You can cut your individual water consumption in half, with no pain.
I think that’s a navy shower. Least thats what my pops told me when on a carrier. That’s how I showed as a kid and still shower today. 2 minutes.

marines showered often according to my grandfather.

doc_flavonoid

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 27, 2019
funny how the drum beat for more housing units statewide plays agaisnt the backdrop of failing infrastructure.

blame ag whatever. we dont need nuts, right? takes too much water. citrus too. how about cows? grenhouse gassers and water guzzlers. ban em. eat soy girly men.

love the nuke powered desal take. just snap your fingers and throw up some reactors, add some charging stations out front for tessie and bang, were good to go two birds down with one little cooling tower.

quite simply and quite ignored is the fact the planet has a carrying capacity for each and every species. but as humans we think were special and it doesnt apply to us because we can move the line with our minds.

which to some small degree we can, but its just human vanity to think we are going to stop whats coming. our success is our failure.

seems a helluvalot simpler to address the root of the problem- too many humans trying to live large in a desert, than it is to go through a bunch of bs coming up with bandaids which will only serve to make the situation worse down the road.

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
L.A. is the Sahara Desert of the North American continent.

Pretty smart to drain the rest of the states water, where it's actually habitable for human life, and pipe it down to the desert cause, well, you know, the weather is nice?

Socal as a whole should just never have existed, except for how it was up to the 1920's.

Man is smart, Man manipulate his environment. Nothing to see here, just move along.

Ask me how I know.

:unsure:

Guy living on desertified uninhabitable to humans rock in the middle of the Atlantic-out.

:roflmao::cool::roflmao:

Reactions: Havoc

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~

** two words, actually one- overpopulation**

I have had, throughout the years, replied to the complainers here, on "their home town break" and crowded conditions. My words also continued on with, "cut yer line, use a rubber or, get something comfortable to wear for the woman. And btw, don't bring yer kid to the beach and teach em how to surf" :shameonyou:

i_ride_spinnaz

OTF status
Aug 19, 2020
During a previous thread I asked about housing density and water supply.

The reply was "Those who ask such questions are simpletons who can f*ck off...there are great water technologies solving this issue...but I don't know what those technologies are."

Check it out:

View attachment 131876
View attachment 131877
I think the most interesting revelation in this thread, is that Drainer and Casa are actually the same person

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
From what I have read, San Diego county has done really well conserving.

The wineries in the central coast are tsking all the water. I know people in Paso that had to drill a deeper well. It cost $30,000.

Reactions: grapedrink