LA Times article on Kassia Meador

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Good read. There were a lot of talented female surfers back then, who didn't fit the mold, and got zero support from the industry.

noone999

OTF status
Sep 13, 2012
HI
Racer1 said:
Good read. There were a lot of talented female surfers back then, who didn't fit the mold, and got zero support from the industry.

There were a load of good girl surfers back then! She got a lot of support, though. Most of the girl surfers who made it on the LB tour come from money. That was the only way to fly to all of the contests if you weren't sponsored enough to get paid to play. Still is that way. It's like a vicious cycle, if you can't get to the contests, you can't get known; and you can't get known to get sponsored if you can't get to the contests.

Beerbelly

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2010
just remember really admiring her assets at a contest at lowers. luckily her and friends decided to lay out right in front of us.

JSC

Nep status
Mar 11, 2008
Those are some seriously ugly wetsuits - and isn't traditional petroleum-derived neoprene toxic for hippies?

JSC

Nep status
Mar 11, 2008
Those are some seriously ugly wetsuits - and isn't traditional petroleum-derived neoprene toxic for hippies?

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I thought the most interesting part of the article was the mention of Veronica Kay.

Remember her from Roxy ads?

She was always the sexiest one to me.

I remember someone here saying she met some guy and moved to Oklahoma and that was more than 10 years ago.

I googled her instagram

https://www.instagram.com/veronicakyoga/?hl=en

She is still operating under the "professional surfer" label out of Tulsa.

LOL!

JSC

Nep status
Mar 11, 2008
Getting paid to ride tankers for 14 years in two-foot waves and look pretty for Roxy while doing it - the stress of being under the yoke of the patriarchy must have been incredible.

No wonder she quit.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I saw her while surfing in Oceanside.

She looked pretty in person.

It looks like she's amplified her dyke cues.

Keep the boys away.

thrillkicker

Nep status
Mar 16, 2009
JSC said:
Getting paid to ride tankers for 14 years in two-foot waves and look pretty for Roxy while doing it - the stress of being under the yoke of the patriarchy must have been incredible.

No wonder she quit.
This. :applause2:

I've heard her speak a couple of times. She seemed stupid. :shrug:

Was quite cute when she was young though.

Billy Ocean

Duke status
Jan 7, 2017
Autoprax said:
I saw her while surfing in Oceanside.

She looked pretty in person.

It looks like she's amplified her dyke cues.

Keep the boys away.
I believe this is called “soft butch”

I would put myself in this category