LA 80's Punk Scene

Joshua2415

Tom Curren status
Jul 18, 2005
San Clemente
I have seen X a number of time through the years, but Christmas '87 at the Coach House was the most memorable...Exene was 8+ months pregnant, sitting on a bar stool on stage every couple of songs. Always a great band to see live!

Reactions: need 4 speed

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
I have seen X a number of time through the years, but Christmas '87 at the Coach House was the most memorable...Exene was 8+ months pregnant, sitting on a bar stool on stage every couple of songs. Always a great band to see live!

wow X at the coach house.. by the time I old enough to go there it seems like it was eek a mouse every weekend.

Reactions: Joshua2415

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
I was just making a playlist of all my favorite Stones songs and I realized I got to "Tattoo You" and after that I didn't know a single song. What happened? Well, that was when I was in college (80's) and could actually go and see live music and the live music scene back then was all about punk.

One of my favorite bands from that time, one that I saw many times, was X. These days I was thinking that their song "Los Angeles" (which I hear often because it's on my running playlist) could be a white supremacy anthem. Got me wondering.

I found this. I wonder if Bonzer5fin could confirm.

great band. Johnny Hit And Run Pauline was an anthem. on a side note, i can recall when Napster first came out, trying to search for X tunes to download and being completely frustrated because as a search term, "X", will bring you a million hits of nothing you're looking for. :roflmao:

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
Saw Los Lobos at a bar in Corvallis called The Peacock (biker bar). Actually, the show was in the space above the the main bar, called "Top of the Cock".

They had security out front telling event goers to stay away from the motorbikes out front and not to go into the main floor.

Good times.
Saw Los Lobos first show in San Diego at SDSU's Backdoor. The Beat Farmers were the opening act. It was an odd mix of cholos, punks and rednecks all enjoying a night a great music.

xxx

Nep status
Nov 18, 2006
It was kinda fun when they got slammed by a MOB of punks who weren't about their sh!t!

Jan 4, 2009
San Diego

The California punk scene was radical. Back in the late 70's and early 80's, Honolulu had a fun punk scene. So much fun going to Waikiki and partying in the evening then heading to the country during the day. So glad I grew up in such an uncomplicated time (sans social media and cell phones etc.). For a kid who graduated in 1978, there was a time when all the california high school graduates/girls would come to Waikiki during the summer, since the drinking age was 18. It was insane!

Last edited:

Peter1

Nep status
Jul 29, 2005
In the "full circle" department, you know that Exene Cervenka is a far-right Trumpy nut job. "Los Angeles" was always tongue in cheek, however.

John Doe is / was a major talent in his own right.