L5/S1 recurring issue

Nov 8, 2019
Looking for some insight...... I started having major back pain 18 months ago. Went for an mri and I have a large focal disc extrusion at L5/S1 impeding on left S1 nerve root. I started doing regular physio and all the recommended exercises for my injury hoping to get back in the water as soon as possible. I stayed out of the water for a couple months went back and it flared up. Took another 4 months off and kept doing lots of physio staying active and working on my core. slowly started surfing again and feeling good. I had a few light flare ups over approx. 8 months. I would just ice and take a week off and be good to. Unfortunately 2 weeks ago I had a major flare up surfing with the same symptoms as 18 months ago and now im back to square one...Physio says I need to take extended to time off to let the disc scar up some more?? and he never mentions surgery? I have hard time understanding why I can surf for multiple days/months and than half way through a mellow session bam!! a little jolt of pain and im back layed out on the floor for a week? I know surgery is last option but when does one decide its time? Sorry for the book haha....just looking for some thoughts

Swallow Tail

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 6, 2017
Your Mom’s House
When you’ve done everything else you possibly can, and in spite of that it’s become a major interference with life - then it’s time to consider surgery. It should be a last resort. I have two artificial cervical discs, it was a game changer/life saver for me fortunately. Everyone, including multiple spine surgeons echoed what I said - should be a last resort. Back/spine surgery Sometimes makes things worse even if procedure goes perfectly.

Last edited:
Reactions: Havoc
Nov 8, 2019
thanks for the feedback, I am going to take an extended break from surfing and continue working on getting my body/back as strong as possible. I started foundation training and if in 6 months I go surfing and im still experiencing the same issues than I may have to look at surgery

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
Doug doesn't like soft tissue work but tension in the muscles and cause so much pain and if that it the problem you can get instant relief.
I don't personally like it but if it causes some relief I would say go for it. My only issue is when it is described or sold as a cure because in reality it isn't treating anything. More often than not it enforces a negative neurological experience that increases pain and sensitivity to benign neural inputs.

grg

Phil Edwards status
Mar 11, 2006
Tuna Town/Baja
Having had lots of issues with my back (think over 6 months of rehabbing) I know the pain and frustration. I would avoid surgery as as mentioned the success rate is low. I liked doing pool work, being aware about how my posture was. Driving with a Foam wedge and pillow for my back was great for helping have better posture.

I think many things help but the ultimate thing that will heal is "Time"

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
Having had lots of issues with my back (think over 6 months of rehabbing) I know the pain and frustration. I would avoid surgery as as mentioned the success rate is low. I liked doing pool work, being aware about how my posture was. Driving with a Foam wedge and pillow for my back was great for helping have better posture.

I think many things help but the ultimate thing that will heal is "Time"

Unless you spend your time babying it.

It's not cancer. Get on your feet and get theFuck over it.