L5-S1 issues from paddling

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
When GPP Turns Into SPP
At some point everyone will make this mistake. We will try to turn what should be generalized physical preparedness (GPP) into specialized physical preparedness (SPP).

We’ll end up getting caught up in the numbers and trying to make them bigger. It’s a natural thing to do, especially if you’re a competitive person. This situation isn’t helped by all the tables you see floating around of people suggesting what common strength levels should be.

You’ll often see references to people being “beginners” until they hit a double bodyweight squat or deadlift. The resulting mistake people make is that they think if they’re advanced in one thing they automatically are at another as well.

This is related to one of the biggest differences I see between expert and novice coaches. One of the biggest mistakes I see new coaches making is analyzing everything to death as if talking more about it will make the trainee an expert.“

Say No to Strength Coaches
Personal training has become overtaken by all the “strength coaches” out there. Except these coaches are dealing with clients who are still very much in that beginner range.

Do you know what beginners need? GPP. So are these people really strength coaches or are they GPP coaches? And isn’t part of GPP developing all physical skills to broaden the base of fitness possible? In fact, isn’t it an essential part?

Because when you spend too much time on one quality, focusing on a specialized form of training, then you’re going to pay somewhere else. Maybe you pay with injury. Maybe you pay with losing movement, or flexibility, or fitness. But you will pay.”

VS

Last edited:

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
Jordan Feiganbaum stresses GPP early and often....especially for the untrained and sedentary.. I think it's common knowledge that this group of people needs to "not die" before worrying about strength improvement. As for everyone else I usually go with 60 minutes of GPP minimum per week at a rate that raises your heart rate but not so much so that you can't carry a conversation plus one day of anaerobic conditioning.

Seriously though gymbro. Breaking muscle? T-nation...Max Shank. You've got to be kidding.

Last edited:
Reactions: Havoc

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Jordan Feiganbaum stresses GPP early and often....especially for the untrained and sedentary.. I think it's common knowledge that this group of people needs to "not die" before worrying about strength improvement. As for everyone else I usually go with 60 minutes of GPP minimum per week at a rate that raises your heart rate but not so much so that you can't carry a conversation plus one day of anaerobic conditioning.

Seriously though gymbro. Breaking muscle? T-nation...Max Shank. You've got to be kidding.

VS

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth

The man is completely insane.

VS

Last edited:

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
“I am fully aware of my athletic prowess or lack thereof, but I do have a pretty strong work ethic and am as stubborn as they come.”

Me: Sounds like your workout sucks. Wtf have you been doing the past decade?

“Some people get offended when others tell them they are unathletic, which can have a variety of definitions depending on context. In general, more athletic individuals are explosive, have better eye-hand coordination, better body awareness, learn new skills faster, and respond better to training, practice, etc. than less athletic folks. Nowhere in there is a judgement of character, worth, etc., right so why should we care if we’re not the most athletic person on Instagram?”

Me: You shouldn’t care if your not the most athletic person on Instagram. What’s even more stupid is not wanting to improve your athleticism via seeking out the wisdom of the most athletic people you can find.

“Second, when thinking of a sport like CrossFit does it even pay to be super athletic? Sure, having great body awareness, great hand-eye coordination, and being somewhat explosive would help, but it’s definitely possible to go too far.“

Me: Your insane.

“As a powerlifter-on-holiday, I was strong with strict gymnastics and could keep pace really well on the workouts….for about 2 minutes before falling apart. Needless to say my conditioning and sports specific prowess was, ahem, low at baseline (unless the workout was 1RM Squat, Bench, and Deadlift for time). The skills I would see in the met cons, i.e. double unders, pistols, box jumps, thrusters, etc., were all things I could “do”, but under fatigue things fell apart or in the case of double-unders- completely stopped. Go figure things are harder when you’re out of breath and tired, right? I attribute a lot this mainly to not having any sort of ability to pace layered on top of a low level of aerobic conditioning, which is probably best developed over time by experiencing many different workouts in many different combinations.“

Me: It sure sounds like your admitting your Barbell training sucks? And I would be ashamed to call that muscle up strict.

http://instagr.am/p/9E5iU8JLLV/

VS

Last edited:

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
We devolved into entertainment and opinion. Fun!
The main problem with “fitness” and S&C is that’s dominated by opinions and the average person for whatever reason doesn’t have the tools to separate the wheat from the chaff.

I felt as a former CSCS, that I’m at least qualified to give my opinion.

I felt obligated to give my opinion based on what I saw as bad (won’t improve your athleticism) and potentially dangerous advice (long term and even possible short term detrimental effects of unnecessary direct spinal loading).

My opinions are based on personal experience as a 50 year old lifetime athlete(lacrosse, surfing, multiple martial arts, rock climbing, snow boarding, mt biking, etc.).

My opinions are based on/are the opinions of others way smarter than me, with more training experience than me, who also have experience as and/or working with high level multi sport athletes (Dan John, Max Shank, Zac Even-Esh, Ido Portal, Eric Cressey (NY Mets), etc.).

My opinion is that if you’re a “fitness” or S+C professional and you do steroids in the closet, you’re a fraud with zero integrity and a grifter and it immediately invalidates your opinions.

My opinion is that if you’re in the business of selling supplements aka snake oil aka magic beans,you’re a fraud with zero integrity and a grifter. If it wasn’t just an easy money grab, Kevin Hart, Marky Mark, Joe Rogan, etc wouldn’t be doing it. The only difference b/w your magic beans and anyone else’s is they’re probably way more expensive. FWIW the only “supps” I take are a high quality “male” multivitamin, high quality fish oil, 100% Beef Aminos/dessicated liver pills, creatine occasionally, and ZMA.

My opinion is Barbell training is unaparalled in it’s ability to develop raw strength but should not be done to the exclusion of other modalities and should be cautiously(no direct spinal loading via back squats, instead Zercher, Hackenschmidt, etc).

My opinions are based on my personal experiences putting the opinions of the people I mentioned to the test. Doing a program consisting solely of farmer’s walks got me in ridiculously good shape.

Most recently, doing just 5 minutes a day of Max Shank’s Hang Squat

Has enabled me at age 50 to do these no problem

I’m going to try and incorporate his just 5 minutes a day philosophy into my daily life as much as possible(rings, parallettes, juggling, mobility work, sandbags, Indian clubs, kettlebells, TGUs, foam rolling, reading a book, caveman squats, loaded carries, Capoeira, etc.) because the little that I’ve done so far has left me: without all my usual aches and pains/seemingly injury free and with a ton of energy/feeling much more athletic than a few weeks ago.

Finally, FWIW I value your opinion very highly since it’s grounded in common sense, not married to any one philosophy, and is governed by the desire to help people/keep them from injuring themselves.

Last edited:

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Max Shank. You've got to be kidding.

““What makes the hammer throw so different and fascinating to me is the detail in the skill,” says Tom Sroka, a Team USA Weightlifting athlete who has had a lot of success in the track and field hammer. “It doesn’t matter how strong or powerful you are in this event, but who is more disciplined in their technique.””

And who does the article use as an example of perfection?

I’m waiting for Alan Thrall to do anything more than contemplate competing in the Highland Games.

Last edited:

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER

I should have just posted this. I doubt Chokeski will understand much of what is written but I'm sure there's a protest video of stupid human tricks to follow.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
jiu jitsu? pretty much why i stopped
Life time of surfing.

Long distance triathlon (hours and hours on a TT bike).

Broken neck. You can see it where the two vertebrae jut forward (compression break from landing on the top of my head, in told).

I am not sure how/when I broke it but I have three good guesses...

1. same snowboard fall that separated my collarbone from the shoulder (1999)

2. Surfing Point Mugu (2004)

3. fell off mechanical bull in Paso Robles (2002)

Yes I still do Jiu jitsu 3-5 days a week.

Reactions: Havoc