L5-S1 issues from paddling

Chee-to

Michael Peterson status
Jan 11, 2002
Anyone deal with back pain/sciatica/referred nerve pain caused or exacerbated by surfing or paddling? Every time I go out I end up with a stiff back and pain in my legs or groin. I've been doing stretches a chiro gave me but they aren't quite enough.

Mike_Jones

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2009
It's called piriformis syndrome. The pain and swelling are caused when collagen gets tough and thick. The piriformis swells, and presses the sciatic nerve against the pelvis. Whether you get pain in your legs or lower back depends on how your piriformis muscles and sciatic nerves are configured.

Massage the piriformis with a tennis ball; it breaks up the damaged collagen.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=tennis+ball+piriformis+massage

Chee-to

Michael Peterson status
Jan 11, 2002
Piriformis syndrome would make sense. My hips are often sore and playing drums can cause the pain as well. I have the dreaded lacrosse balls to attack it with, plus a jigsaw massager.

surfflexx

Nep status
Jan 28, 2004
usa
Visit site

Piriformis syndrome a catch all name for all sorts of lower back and traveling nerve pain. The best doctors have a difficult time property diagnosing it. But better chance getting it properly diagnosed with a good PT or chiro. Good luck .

surfflexx

Nep status
Jan 28, 2004
usa
Visit site

Piriformis syndrome a catch all name for all sorts of lower back and traveling nerve pain. The best doctors have a difficult time property diagnosing it. But better chance getting it properly diagnosed with a good PT or chiro. Good luck .

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Aren't t-spine restrictions going to make the lumbar spine pick up the slack?

This causing downstream problems?

My upper back is this big frozen block of meat.

I been trying to loosen it up.

I have been focusing on arm movements when I walk. This actually is making noticeable change.

But it likes to stay locked up in flextion.

I think t-spine rotation is a key too.

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
Autoprax said:
Aren't t-spine restrictions going to make the lumbar spine pick up the slack?

This causing downstream problems?

My upper back is this big frozen block of meat.

I been trying to loosen it up.

I have been focusing on arm movements when I walk. This actually is making noticeable change.

But it likes to stay locked up in flextion.

I think t-spine rotation is a key too.
The only way to break this up is stretching and lacrosse ball therapy. You can pay a professional but it's going to be expensive. Put 2 lacrosse balls in a sock and tie it off. Make a 2nd ond. Strategically place these under you and roll around. For the really painful spots just lay still over that spot digging deep. About 30 minutes of this typevtreatment then drink a ton of water. If you are really locked up. Stay out of the gym and take a few days off from surfing.

Chee-to

Michael Peterson status
Jan 11, 2002
Haven't surfed in a month plus, crippling pain still coming and going. Just about any exercise seems to set it off. Had a lumbar/coccyx x-ray today and I start PT in the next couple weeks.

Mike_Jones

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2009
Ch-ch-ch-cheeeeeto said:
Haven't surfed in a month plus, crippling pain still coming and going. Just about any exercise seems to set it off. Had a lumbar/coccyx x-ray today and I start PT in the next couple weeks.
Did you try tennis ball massage? Try it or stop hounding. It costs $1.50.

Another possibility is, stop sleeping on your stomach with your legs splayed. Sleep on your side with your knees together. This one takes a week.