L.A. Homelessness...

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
First and foremost is the acknowledgment that allowing people to live outside in an urban environment is cruel.

If you live on the street you are a danger to yourself and others and therefore need to be involuntarily committed to a mental health facility.
So, make being homeless illegal and that's problem solved?

Forcing people to live outside is cruel. Allowing them to do so is...live and let live.
We have the resources to provide housing for everyone. It's cruel to not do so because they can't pay for it, or don't deserve it, or something like that. It's also cruel to say "get in this box we built for people like you, or this cage we built for people like you, that's the choice you get."

Reactions: youcantbeserious

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
If you live on the street you are a danger to yourself and others and therefore need to be involuntarily committed to a mental health facility.

Liv'in In A Van ~ community of folks are gonna be pissed with This ~ :socrazy:
just say'in .....

• Haha
Reactions: casa_mugrienta

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
resources? hello? ten times the military spending budget of any of 2-10 of the next countries on the list of spending?

there's enough for housing, healthcare, mental health care AND education... for every single American.

:unsure:

one wonders why the "richest" country in the world would rather spend so much defending itself with thousand dollar toilet seats than spend a bit more on the care of its own citizens.

Reactions: stringcheese

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
So, make being homeless illegal and that's problem solved?

Forcing people to live outside is cruel. Allowing them to do so is...live and let live.
We have the resources to provide housing for everyone. It's cruel to not do so because they can't pay for it, or don't deserve it, or something like that. It's also cruel to say "get in this box we built for people like you, or this cage we built for people like you, that's the choice you get."
I didn’t say that we should make it illegal. I said that it should be recognized that if you live outside in an urban environment you are a danger to yourself and others and should be committed to a mental health facility. This would not require any law changes whatsoever.

The biggest lie being told about homelessness is that it’s an economic problem or a housing problem.

It’s a mental health and addiction problem in the vast vast majority of cases.

Non-crazy people who got some reason can’t afford a roof over their heads are going to shelters. These people also tend to be temporarily homeless. These people are a very very tiny portion of the homeless population. I myself have been one of these people on two separate occasions in my late teens.

And yes, allowing people to live in the streets is cruel.

It’s sort of like (but it’s not THE SAME so please just don’t...) how allowing a five year old to sniff glue is child abuse.

donuts

Tom Curren status
Jan 23, 2005
@ the fun house
one wonders why the "richest" country in the world would rather spend so much defending itself with thousand dollar toilet seats than spend a bit more on the care of its own citizens.
not sure about you, but i’d much prefer a thousand dollar toilet seat than some smelly skank mental case camped out in my bathroom.

the clorox and scouring powder can only go so far !

:foreheadslap:

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
The biggest lie being told about homelessness is that it’s an economic problem or a housing problem.

This.

Non-crazy people who got some reason can’t afford a roof over their heads are going to shelters. These people also tend to be temporarily homeless. These people are a very very tiny portion of the homeless population.
And for the rest of them it's the aforementioned mental health/addiction.

A lot of people don't understand this until a loved one is living on the streets.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
resources? hello? ten times the military spending budget of any of 2-10 of the next countries on the list of spending?
lolz

One of the reasons that budget is so big is because it includes defending you - a resident of welfare states of Western Europe.

We're subsidizing the defense of your welfare states with idiotic entities such as NATO.

Then you bitch and moan when the USA spitballs about pulling out.

I'm not defending it the USA MIC- I'd love to leave you guys to fend for yourselves. But it is what it is.

I'd love to cut military spending in a whole lotta ways.

Reactions: grapedrink

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
That military spending formula, while you could absolutely trim just a few % and spend it on homelessness and addiction etc, is hundreds of years old. You want Pax Americana? Have a military 2-3 times bigger than the next two combined. British did it (mostly naval) for centuries. Careful what you wish for.

Reactions: donuts

Firebird

Gerry Lopez status
Jun 5, 2010
OC

there's enough for housing, healthcare, mental health care AND education... for every single American.

:unsure:

You left. You don't get to have an opinion on what goes on here.:ROFLMAO:

Firebird

Gerry Lopez status
Jun 5, 2010
OC
I didn’t say that we should make it illegal. I said that it should be recognized that if you live outside in an urban environment you are a danger to yourself and others and should be committed to a mental health facility. This would not require any law changes whatsoever.

Non-crazy people who got some reason can’t afford a roof over their heads are going to shelters. These people also tend to be temporarily homeless. These people are a very very tiny portion of the homeless population. I myself have been one of these people on two separate occasions in my late teens.

It’s sort of like (but it’s not THE SAME so please just don’t...) how allowing a five year old to sniff glue is child abuse.
Bingo.
I find that most people who feel the way Stringcheese does is a result of a lack of close, personal experience on this issue.

Reactions: PPK96754