Kyle Rittenhouse - The Truth in 11 Minutes

the janitor

Tom Curren status
Mar 28, 2003
north of the bridge
When you're trying to tell me a defamation settlement is going to be 24x a wrongful death one, and CNN already has a legal department so as a function of $275M they lose basically nothing by fighting to the death, no, simply stating the words "punitive damages" doesn't ring any bells when basically nothing happened. Nobody died. Nothing was stolen. Nobody was injured. I don't even know if they fckn snaked London. Complete and utter fucking Souther fight in Souther land.

CNN settled in January. ATT's second quarter report is two months old.

Don Lemon glamour shot.
To be clear, I've no idea how much the kid got. But when a major media company with a presumably large in house legal team and a brand image to protect folds somewhere on the scale between between France in May 1940 and Rick Perry during the 2016 Republican nomination, I'm thinking they settled because they thought they'd take a large L in a trial.

I'm not sure if they've handed the cash over yet so it might not have registered as an expense - and there is a confidentiality clause so maybe they can bury it?

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
To be clear, I've no idea how much the kid got. But when a major media company with a presumably large in house legal team and a brand image to protect folds somewhere on the scale between between France in May 1940 and Rick Perry during the 2016 Republican nomination, I'm thinking they settled because they thought they'd take a large L in a trial.

I'm not sure if they've handed the cash over yet so it might not have registered as an expense - and there is a confidentiality clause so maybe they can bury it?

I'm thinking they settled because they thought it would be a right wing media circus and reflect negatively on ATT as a whole, not just CNN. YMMV, apparently.

Reading the article you posted, the handover date was July 2020, his birthday, so no guardian required. It's September 2020. Sandmann's attorney himself said "joint desire to keep it confidential". Sandmann being a minor and unable to claim the money apparently mattered with respect to confidentiality.

WHY.
WOULD.
SANDMANN.
WANT.
TO.
KEEP.
IT.
CONFIDENTIAL.
???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Regarding punitive damages, mentioned in previous posts, how in the hell is preventing coverage some people don't like going to require punitive damages on that scale vs punitive damages in wrongful death cases?

the janitor

Tom Curren status
Mar 28, 2003
north of the bridge
I'm thinking they settled because they thought it would be a right wing media circus and reflect negatively on ATT as a whole, not just CNN. YMMV, apparently.

Reading the article you posted, the handover date was July 2020, his birthday, so no guardian required. It's September 2020. Sandmann's attorney himself said "joint desire to keep it confidential". Sandmann being a minor and unable to claim the money apparently mattered with respect to confidentiality.

WHY.
WOULD.
SANDMANN.
WANT.
TO.
KEEP.
IT.
CONFIDENTIAL.
???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Regarding punitive damages, mentioned in previous posts, how in the hell is preventing coverage some people don't like going to require punitive damages on that scale vs punitive damages in wrongful death cases?
Because he got PAID and signed a confidentiality agreement.

If they paid in July it wouldn't be reported until their Q3 earnings which I'm guessing hits in Oct? But they probably bury it to preserve confidentiality.

We're speculating, but I don't get the comparison to wrongful death cases. Their legal team are looking at their own situation, not some entirely different case. Maybe you are right, maybe they rolled the kid for a low six figure sum and laughed their way to lunch. But CNN's credibility took a pretty serious hit as did their brand equity when they settled. I'm guessing that is worth more to them than even a low seven figure sum.

Reactions: GWS_2

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
1. Because he got PAID and signed a confidentiality agreement.

2. If they paid in July it wouldn't be reported until their Q3 earnings which I'm guessing hits in Oct? But they probably bury it to preserve confidentiality.

3. We're speculating, but I don't get the comparison to wrongful death cases. Their legal team are looking at their own situation, not some entirely different case. Maybe you are right, maybe they rolled the kid for a low six figure sum and laughed their way to lunch. But CNN's credibility took a pretty serious hit as did their brand equity when they settled. I'm guessing that is worth more to them than even a low seven figure sum.
1. Where is the evidence he didn't settle for $0? The way you write this sentence, you make it sound like Sandmann wanted to go public, but had to sign a confidentiality agreement to get the money.

Court filings (not Tucker Carlson, not Rachel Maddow, court filings) show the Sandmann family WANTED to DELAY the date so the number wouldn't go public. Do you have any evidence/proof he signed a confidentiality agreement that wasn't anywhere to be found in the article we both read???

2. Okay, so we're a month out. Oct 26th.

3. How in the hell is a court going to award more punitive damages for news coverage vs actually killing someone?
Second, I don't understand how one twitter video seriously damaged CNN's credibility, or their brand equity.

The judge in the Wapo case originally tossed ALL 33 of Sandmann's claims. They allowed three after review because it was theoretically possible new evidence would come forward. Those three claims were all against quotes Nathan Idiotface gave directly to the Washington Post. Reporting an idiot's quotes is not WaPo defaming Sandmann.

I don't think he'll be able to buy a Tesla with his winnings for about 3 years.

Edit: Sandmann filed in Kentucky...

In any action for damages for the publication of a defamatory statement in a newspaper, magazine, or periodical, the defendant shall be liable for actual damages sustained by plaintiff. The defendant may plead the publication of a correction in mitigation of damages. Punitive damages may be recovered only if the plaintiff shall allege and prove publication with legal malice and that the newspaper, magazine, or periodical failed to make conspicuous and timely publication of a correction after receiving a sufficient demand for correction.

the janitor

Tom Curren status
Mar 28, 2003
north of the bridge
you may be right
i may be crazy
But it just may be a sympathetic jury he was looking for
They gave up the fight
Don't try to haze me
You may be wrong for all I know
But you may be right

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
WaPo losses aren't coming out of Bezos's pocket. WaPo is insured. That suit goes straight to an insurance company who fights sh!t like this for a living.

That company did not roll over in the face of the Sandmann family.

Edit: I'm not trying to beat a dead horse in the face of your last post, it just seems that the grounds for this are impossibly flimsy given the law itself and the actions of all parties, yet there is like this force-of-nature that thinks he got asking price, and I realize you are shying away from that, but still.

Mike_Jones

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2009
Typically you learn by about age 15 that YouTube videos proclaiming “the truth in ____”, “the real truth”, “the truth about” etc are about as far from reality as you can get.

but some people don’t actually develop mentally Enough to figure that out.

Forget Youtube. I'm forced to pay for PBS. I watched part of a PBS special on confirmation bias.

The show cherry picked studies which confirmed the producers' bias that all people choose to take in and believe only information that they believed before they took it in.

While the producers were charging that everybody cherry picks information they failed to acknowledge that their program's thesis cherry picks viewers who exhibit confirmation bias, and want to confirm that their operating procedure is universal.

It's NOT universal, or even mainstream. And knowing who PBS's perennial targets are it's clear what biased audience the producers thought needed confirmation that their biases were normal.

Last edited:

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Only BillyOcean, Subway, and other east coast surfers are allowed to quote Billy Joel. Check your privilege and stick to Tom Waits.
What's the matter with song they're quoting
can't you tell that it's from back East
How about some better sammies and pizza
from the transplants you like the least

Don't waste your money on a new pair of sneakers
Cruise the South Bay with REM blaring from the speakers

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
Forget Youtube. I'm forced to pay for PBS. I watched part of a PBS special on confirmation bias.

The show cherry picked studies which confirmed the producers' bias that all people choose to take in and believe only information that they believed before they took it in.

While the producers were charging that everybody cherry picks information they failed to acknowledge that their program's thesis cherry picks viewers who exhibit confirmation bias, and want to confirm that their operating procedure is universal.

It's NOT universal, or even mainstream. And knowing who PBS's perennial targets are it's clear what biased audience the producers thought needed conffirmation that their biases were normal.
Do you think you learned anything from watching that special?

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
How was he being a dick? By now bowing down to someone who belongs to more disadvantaged groups and checking his own privilege?

The fact that Sandman irks you so much says a lot about you and your systematic bias.
If somebody came up to me and started whacking on a homemade tambourine 6 inches from the end of my nose I would be hard-pressed to keep my cool as well as did that kid.

That being said, he must have really good lawyers, as those settlements are ridiculous. They'll be reduced on appeal, he and his family will probably get just a few million after legal fees and taxes and sh!t.

Reactions: grapedrink

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
If somebody came up to me and started whacking on a homemade tambourine 6 inches from the end of my nose I would be hard-pressed to keep my cool as well as did that kid.

That being said, he must have really good lawyers, as those settlements are ridiculous. They'll be reduced on appeal, he and his family will probably get just a few million after legal fees and taxes and sh!t.
It would have been better if he sang Mr. Tambourine Man when the whole thing went down.

Everyone would have walked away happy.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009

what about a cowbell?

• Haha
Reactions: the janitor

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois

why would you want the tambourine man to play a song for you? it’s probably the least musical of all the instruments.