Kooks aren’t harmless

Pico

Duke status
Aug 20, 2010
SUP Nation
I got my first stand up ( not standing straight up but on my feet crouching) barrel at Gas Chambers. By accident of course. It was decades ago but I remember I got pushed over there because surfing Rockys or Pupukea was futile. I couldnt get a wave. .

Thank God your kid is all right. How terrifying for you.

Ranga

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 31, 2008
I actually think kicking people out of the ocean is lame, and it doesn’t work anyway.

better to educate, point out the dangers, suggest a better spot

but in the moment you are hurt or almost hurt or scared and you get pissed
Told a guy that it's good surf manners to move out of the way when someone is paddling for a wave (vs, say, just sitting there and screaming at the approaching paddler.) He asked me if I was the fvcking surfing police and to not try and intimidate him (which I wasn't). That kind of encounter can ruin a sesh if you let it.

Glad your boy is ok. Ida been freaking the fook oot.

Reactions: youcantbeserious

vanrysss

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 25, 2019
from Oregon, now SD
I'm guilty of not speaking my mind to beginners when the conditions are small. I figure it's not worth the hassle to get into over 1ft waves. I don't surf well enough to be an enforcer. Luckily this place regulates itself once the waves get decent.

Reactions: Boneroni

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Do surf schools teach any kind of etiquette whatsoever?
Good question. In my area there is surf PE. There are several schools using the same beach (Torrance- because thereis a big parking lot)- South High, Peninsula High, West High and Redondo Union High (RU high?). I don't know if they teach etiquette, but for sure the kids get used to surfing in a tight crowd and think nothing of paddling out where there is already a pack.