Kookiest locals???

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
if the locals don't realize you're a local either you or they are not, that or they don't like you.

if you're an old guy you should not care what some 20 year old shithead thinks, stink eye is the way :shameonyou:
For the last 20 years I was gainfully employed and forced to be a weekend warrior. I would dawn patrol weekends at first light to try and get in an hour or so of surf with a reasonable crowd. There was a certain crew always out there at that time

Now that I'm retired, I've joined the "Gentleman's Club" and surf after I've had my coffes and breakfast, or when the tide is right (and never set an alarm clock). There's a different crew on it midweek midday. I did see some of the regular crew yesterday and they looked at me and asked, "Do you have the day off?"

Anyways tide is dropping from a nearly 7 foot high and it should start getting good. See ya. Goin' Surfing! :waving:

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
For the last 20 years I was gainfully employed and forced to be a weekend warrior. I would dawn patrol weekends at first light to try and get in an hour or so of surf with a reasonable crowd. There was a certain crew always out there at that time

Now that I'm retired, I've joined the "Gentleman's Club" and surf after I've had my coffes and breakfast, or when the tide is right (and never set an alarm clock). There's a different crew on it midweek midday. I did see some of the regular crew yesterday and they looked at me and asked, "Do you have the day off?"

Anyways tide is dropping from a nearly 7 foot high and it should start getting good. See ya. Goin' Surfing! :waving:
wind wrecked sh!t

Swallow Tail

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 6, 2017
Your Mom’s House
Last edited:

ghost_of_lewis_samuels

Phil Edwards status
Oct 27, 2019
I remember Back in the day in NY I saw him sent to the beach with threats of violence if he didn’t comply due to his bad behavior in the lineup. & it happened to be on one of the better days that winter.

…ah the good old days.
If the occurrence weren't so common I would have thought that we'd surfed together.

Reactions: Swallow Tail

Swallow Tail

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 6, 2017
Your Mom’s House
Yes, Southampton born and raised
There’s a high probability we did cross paths.

You know another shaper - Joe Flow? He was making and riding “alternative craft“ 35 years ago that would fit right in w the current trends now. Cool n trippy dude.

Ive never seen someone so universally disliked in their own zone as much as John K was. Kinda sad he never grew out of being like that.

ghost_of_lewis_samuels

Phil Edwards status
Oct 27, 2019
There’s a high probability we did cross paths.

You know another shaper - Joe Flow? He was making and riding “alternative craft“ 35 years ago that would fit right in w the current trends now. Cool n trippy dude.

Ive never seen someone so universally disliked in their own zone as much as John K was. Kinda sad he never grew out of being like that.
i've heard of Joe, from my father I think, I'm much younger.

But yes, John has some issues or something

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
It’s funny I grew up in amagansett, but we rarely surfed west of even sagaponack, since we had miles of fickle and sometimes decent sandbars and montauk a quick 20 minute drive east. The few times I did surf the jetties and sandbars around Southampton and Hampton bays, I practically felt like I was on a surf trip. Not because the quality of surf, just because of the novelty of it, having grown up just a half hour from Southampton proper. Hell my dads office was in Southampton village for years before he went independent and got his own suite in EH village. I ate, partied, went to the movies, Southampton was as much home practically as the rest of the east end was for me, but for whatever reason never bothered surfing those beaches, like, ever.

And it wasn’t a localism thing, in the 90s there was no hassling if you could actually surf a short board well, you would be treated normally, because you were likely one of only a few guys that could actually surf well.

It’s cute when some 20-something gives me stink eye in MTK now and I just laugh and tell him I’ve lived and have been surfing out there since before his parents even met. because there is in fact a little cadre of 20 and even 30 somethings that can and do surf really well, and they try to apply a little bit of “pack style” localism by just taking over the peak. But as long as you can surf and don’t hesitate to get into the mix, you’ll get waves. They may mutter under their breath but they wont actually confront or even drop in. the older ones may know me or of me, but the 20 somethings were literally unborn when I was surfing those points and coves virtually alone or just with a modest and friendly crowd, most of whom were friends or at least familiar, even in the 90s.

Last edited:

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
It’s funny I grew up in amagansett, but we rarely surfed west of even sagaponack, since we had miles of fickle and sometimes decent sandbars and montauk a quick 20 minute drive east. The few times I did surf the jetties and sandbars around Southampton and Hampton bays, I practically felt like I was on a surf trip. Not because the quality of surf, just because of the novelty of it, having grown up just a half hour from Southampton proper. Hell my dads office was in Southampton village for years before he went independent and got his own suite in EH village. I ate, partied, went to the movies, Southampton was as much home practically as the rest of the east end was for me, but for whatever reason never bothered surfing those beaches, like, ever. And it wasn’t a localism thing, in the 90s there was no hassling if you could actually surf a shot board well, you would be treated normally. It’s cute when some 20-something gives me stink eye in MTK and I just laugh and tell him I’ve lived and have been surfing out there since before his parents even met.
Did you surf Shinnecock inlet when it had the little point like set up? I always forget what it was called, 3’s?

ghost_of_lewis_samuels

Phil Edwards status
Oct 27, 2019
Naming spots and and descriptions of areas - perfect for a thread on kookiest locals. You’ve won, well done!
Well 3's doesnt exist any more so it's fine to name - used to break on the North West corner of the inlet, into the bay - but after jetty work stopped being a thing in the 80's I think. Sometimes we can surf new 3's thats actually in the inlet - I don't care about naming it because it breaks about once every 3 years and is only good 1 time out of those 3 years - so no one is planning to surf it.

@Subway - you were around in a great era - fortunately there are still plenty of great setups from Southampton - East that can be found w/few to 0 other surfers.

Here is a way too detailed description of the spot, with an old photo of a mediocre day

Last edited: