Kookiest locals???

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
I already said this under a different handle years and years ago, but apparently this board likes rehashing things over and over. I lived near and for that wave at that time, knew everyone who surfed there, and kenny was absolutely in the right, the guy who he was quarreling with grew up in the area *but does not surf that wave*, and was filming the place for his kook "brand". Nothing is kookier than filming a place like that for your bullshit internet self promotion. Everyone who surfs there took kenny's side over that guy. I was so pissed at him for filming there and making an internet thing out of that. I'd have burned that guy every time I saw him, but he does not surf there. fook, please stop telling this story if you don't know what was going on.

I'm really not trying to be all aggro at you in particular, but years later I'm still mad at that guy, that by breaking local norms he was able to be dishonest about what happened, and that the only way to respond to that is further internet publicity.
The erBB gets on Skinny Kenny because he's from PV, which has an absolutist no outsiders policy to the point of PV guy gets taken to spots in Hawaii by Won Taloa, but refuses to reciprocate. Double bullshit given how I've never met anyone from PV capable of shutting the f--k up, for three seconds, about how much they surf Hawaiian out islands. Triple bullshit when the primary point of contention is the South LA Swamis, complete with MOAR 8'6" in head high surf.

I like making jokes at Skinny Kenny's expense, but I'll accept your correction - after throwing Skinny Kenny to his death, the self-promoting goon should have jumped after him face-first per your clarification.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
The erBB gets on Skinny Kenny because he's from PV, which has an absolutist no outsiders policy to the point of PV guy gets taken to spots in Hawaii by Won Taloa, but refuses to reciprocate. Double bullshit given how I've never met anyone from PV capable of shutting the f--k up, for three seconds, about how much they surf Hawaiian out islands. Triple bullshit when the primary point of contention is the South LA Swamis, complete with MOAR 8'6" in head high surf.

I like making jokes at Skinny Kenny's expense, but I'll accept your correction - after throwing Skinny Kenny to his death, the self-promoting goon should have jumped after him face-first per your clarification.
Also valid, forgot about all that :beer: Although I think he still would've gotten flack though just for the video alone

Tarab_ish

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 14, 2018

hah yeah, don't get me wrong, the PV version of localism is incredibly dorky and shouldn't be respected.

Senor Sopa

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 11, 2015
Ponto
Localismo es muy estupidezo. Si?

:shrug:
Hmm, are you snagging a majority of good sets? Then you are practicing a version of localism. Do you let peeps you've never seen paddle around you and take all the waves? No? That's more localism.

Back to topic. I'm voting for Cardiff. Come down at 8am and puke. 2nd place would have to be the posers at San Onofre with their pajamas and coffee meet ups for dates.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Hmm, are you snagging a majority of good sets? Then you are practicing a version of localism. Do you let peeps you've never seen paddle around you and take all the waves? No? That's more localism.

Back to topic. I'm voting for Cardiff. Come down at 8am and puke. 2nd place would have to be the posers at San Onofre with their pajamas and coffee meet ups for dates.
3rd intranet locals on surferforum:computer:

potato-nator

Phil Edwards status
Nov 10, 2015
I was out alone at reef north of S.F. and a huge elephant sea lion popped up and gave me some serious stink eye. I paddled in pretty fast.
Then I said fook it, and went back out, the waves were pretty fun.
A Walrus did that to me at Caballeros.
he seemed big and mean.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
A Walrus did that to me at Caballeros.
he seemed big and mean.
You saw a Walrus. 10 degrees South of the Equator.

Why all the hate on SUPs.

If you are shortboarding a spot where SUPs are getting waves then you prob not very good at short boarding and are at the wrong spot.
In that case entire regions of continents are the wrong spot. The right spots are Wedge, Knight's, Cyclops, Shark Island, and Waimea shorebreak. Maybe Fronton I guess would do.

Or there's enough shortboarders and hatred of SUPs - the SUP will get burned 5 deep on every wave they go on, and/or beaten into a coma - is the only thing preventing SUP from taking all the waves.

Because it isn't the steepness/lateness of the drop that's keeping SUPs out of Lowers or Suckouts or Ponce Inlet. It's the hatred of SUPs.

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
You saw a Walrus. 10 degrees South of the Equator.

In that case entire regions of continents are the wrong spot. The right spots are Wedge, Knight's, Cyclops, Shark Island, and Waimea shorebreak. Maybe Fronton I guess would do.

Or there's enough shortboarders and hatred of SUPs - the SUP will get burned 5 deep on every wave they go on, and/or beaten into a coma - is the only thing preventing SUP from taking all the waves.

Because it isn't the steepness/lateness of the drop that's keeping SUPs out of Lowers or Suckouts or Ponce Inlet. It's the hatred of SUPs.
I have SUP surfed Churches on big swells and never had any issue.

Its always the ass clown shortboard burn outs who think they still got a chance to go pro or think anyone cares they can surf.

There is tons of people that don't surf lowers on shortboards cause its crowded and filled with morons.

Reactions: tenover

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Not a single one of those rides was worth recording.
If you're goofy I suppose it's worth it. Plenty of other waves nearby. Been here two years and didn't know that was Zero's...wonder why its called that.
Because it works best on a zero tide.

And the kookiest locals IMO were the ones about to get in a fight over some affront that occurred in knee to waist high slop that I was only surfing because I didn’t want to have wasted the gas and as a result had gotten wicked wicked wicked high prior to paddling out. OMG did I think it was hilarious to watch two Bro Brahs splash and yell at each other and pretend they were gonna take it to the beach on a day I considered marginal.

Last edited:

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I'm mildly annoyed at locals at my local who don't realize I'm a local.

Or 20 something locals who eye me at spots where I'm not local... but have regularly surfed for over 40 years.

• Haha
Reactions: LifeOnMars

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
I'm mildly annoyed at locals at my local who don't realize I'm a local.

Or 20 something locals who eye me at spots where I'm not local... but have regularly surfed for over 40 years.
if the locals don't realize you're a local either you or they are not, that or they don't like you.

if you're an old guy you should not care what some 20 year old shithead thinks, stink eye is the way :shameonyou: