Kolohe Andino - No longer on O'Neill

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
I call it being passionate. My wife says I lack impulse control. Whatevs... probably shouldn't have posted that one but Oh well.
Pretty sure saying a company is blowing it because they dropped two surfers is pretty minor. Times were, a remark about a helmet, a waterproof cell phone, the surfer with such, and a compliment about the DVS fish in that equation would get you banned and have an entire Women's WCT *** Official *** thread disappeared.

• Haha
Reactions: Woke AF and JDJ

ReForest

Miki Dora status
Oct 7, 2020
Pretty sure saying a company is blowing it because they dropped two surfers is pretty minor. Times were, a remark about a helmet, a waterproof cell phone, the surfer with such, and a compliment about the DVS fish in that equation would get you banned and have an entire Women's WCT *** Official *** thread disappeared.
An entire Women's WCT *** Official *** thread disappeared? :oops::oops:

#WokeModerators?

Last edited:

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
An entire Women's WCT *** Official *** thread disappeared? :oops::oops:

#WokeModerators?
LOL Bassy was not #woke at all. Unless you are talking about people who identify as carrying a waterproof phone and wearing a helmet in keelfish-worthy San Diego surf, then he was extremely woke, because I had to post as Pissbiscuit for years after that remark.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
I'm guessing his Oneil contract was heavily centered around his CT career. As soon as he dropped off the CT he was either in breach of contract or Oneil allowed it to run out and they didn't renew. I'm sure someone like Buell will pick him up.

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
Who in the heck is running things at O'Neill? First Timmy now Kolohe! They are blowing it over there.
Duu.
Tell me you heard of a surfer named John Florence. John rode for O’Neill as a grom and through qualifying. Yes he bailed and Hurley with Nike backing signed him to a huge deal. Hindsight being 7/10 Oneill should’ve dumped Jordy and all other paid surfers to re-sign John. He turned out to actually surpass expectations, unlike KA.

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
Pretty shocked they'd drop Kolohe so soon after SITD when his profile was at an all time high. I would assume there was some sort of breach of contract with his involvement selling/promoting/wearing 2% merch.

Some sort of launch of 2% Union on April 19th at noon. I doubt they'll be able to sell enough hats and t's to compensate for KA's lack of O'Neill coin. He can probably make the world go around with his Red Bull and FCS deals. I would hope he squirreled enough away during the Nike/Hurley/Target big money days.
How many people do you think subscribe to Stab?

He stopped competing even at the local qs comps. He has no visibility. Redbull won’t keep him much longer. FCS might bc older guys need fins too.

• Wow
Reactions: ReForest

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
First of all… It’s hard to believe anyone, even ReFo, is crying for a 2nd generation San Clemente pro surfer who presumably has been paid to surf by sponsors since he was like 14. For several years, he supposedly made shockingly serious coin from Target, Hurley, Nike, RedBull during the industry boom times. He was maybe unrealistically touted as the next KS but clearly didn’t come close in either influence nor results. I don’t know his WSL record offhand but hard to remember many (if any) big wins. Why is he owed anything now? Hard to claim the industry has treated him unfairly. He’s inarguably a very talented surfer, but are you guys honestly inspired/ excited by his surfing?

I don’t doubt his FCS fin template is popular, but that’s not necessarily because of him IMO. At this point, I’m also skeptical that groms are that excited by him- but what do I know. Surely he’s even been supplanted in the aspirational SC local legend status by the Cola bros and the new SoCal tour rookies. I guess we’ll see if anyone outside of San Clemente buys “2%” merch.

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
First of all… It’s hard to believe anyone, even ReFo, is crying for a 2nd generation San Clemente pro surfer who presumably has been paid to surf by sponsors since he was like 14. For several years, he supposedly made shockingly serious coin from Target, Hurley, Nike, RedBull during the industry boom times. He was maybe unrealistically touted as the next KS but clearly didn’t come close in either influence nor results. I don’t know his WSL record offhand but hard to remember many (if any) big wins. Why is he owed anything now? Hard to claim the industry has treated him unfairly. He’s inarguably a very talented surfer, but are you guys honestly inspired/ excited by his surfing?

I don’t doubt his FCS fin template is popular, but that’s not necessarily because of him IMO. At this point, I’m also skeptical that groms are that excited by him- but what do I know. Surely he’s even been supplanted in the aspirational SC local legend status by the Cola bros and the new SoCal tour rookies. I guess we’ll see if anyone outside of San Clemente buys “2%” merch.
I will buy 2% merch

billypilgrim

Nep status
Apr 19, 2017

I don’t follow the tour much, but when I think of Kolohe in comps this is the first memory that comes to mind. The awkward commentary makes it.

Dude rips and some of his edits have been pretty good. Never watched that reckless isolation video but I do remember see some footy on YouTube posted by some frat boys at UNCW partying with kolohe and the SC boys in the dorms. I also remember a pretty funny clip of him bass fishing in speed shades.

ReForest

Miki Dora status
Oct 7, 2020
This is my favorite Kolohe video.

This is a repost because the views are only 7.8k and it's posted by 2%er. Someone must have deleted the original. The original was from like 10+ years ago and had like a couple hundred thousand views.

Best small waves surfing I've ever seen. So much flow. Better than Filipe IMO.

• Love
Reactions: slipped_disc

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA

This is a repost because the views are only 7.8k and it's posted by 2%er. Someone must have deleted the original. The original was from like 10+ years ago and had like a couple hundred thousand views.

Cmon. Nobody has a favorite Chloe video.
:roflmao:
Edit: watched a couple waves. It’s fine but I’m not blown away by anything. You don’t have groms at your local doing air reverses on 2-3’ waves?

Last edited:

slipped_disc

Michael Peterson status
Jun 27, 2019

yes! i was just thinking of this clip the other day.