Kodak

surfadelphia

Nep status
Nov 15, 2010
How many in Trump's orbit & Repub congress people are making sh!t tons of $ off of this Kodak Hydrocoriquine thing? A government loan to a "film" company to produce a drug that doesn't do anything for covid patients....what could go wrong?

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
He’ll give govt money to anyone who’s nice to him and contributes to his campaign

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
Thank god the federal government won't get involved in manufacturing PPE or glass vials that will be be needed when/if a vaccine is developed.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
Was Kodak funded to make hydroxychloroquine specifically?
“With this new agreement, my administration is using the Defense Production Act to provide a $765 million loan to support the launch of Kodak pharmaceuticals,”

it appears that way...or possibly the vaccine.

as soon as it was reported my spidey senses said, "someone Trump-adjacent just hit the yackpot!"

I'm sure there'll be plenty of unsavory details emerging about this **deal** in short order

fkn clown world going over the falls!

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Kodak was killed by the switch to digital cameras and in part because they wasted their digital camera patents and thought their chemical patents that gave molecular resolution would win in the long run. Complacency really.

Kodak is/has been pivoting to a general and specialty chemical supply company for a while now. Cabot and Dow (and host of other companies) have big leads there.

However, Kodak has deposition tech and chemical deposition (and the physical chemistry that goes along with it) might be something the others are not as good at. And they have name/brand recognition. They also have (had?) a fairly big real estate footprint and should have a good understanding of supply chains.

By the way, they don't have a great track record for waste management.

Anyway, the stock price gain is impressive. Some people are pretty rich on paper from this move. Who knew what when and then got greedy may come out. And just like when Bell was broken up, some of the spin-offs did well, which is to say some of what was once under Eastman Kodak's umbrella might be worth chasing down. Kodak wasn't completely full of dolts.

• Love
Reactions: afoaf and npsp

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Who knew what when and then got greedy may come out.

SEC investigation.

Blurb:

"The Securities and Exchange Commission is investigating the trading of Eastman Kodak stock after its price surged last week on news of a $765 million government loan, The Wall Street Journal reported on Tuesday.

The loan, meant to aid Kodak in producing drug ingredients, was announced last Tuesday, July 28. After the announcement, Kodak stock leaped as much as 350%. Shares soared even higher on Wednesday, at once point reaching a two-day gain of 2,190%.

But the stock gained as much as 26% the day before the announcement, raising questions about whether insiders traded on information about the government loan."

If it is like many SEC look-sees, they'll not find something worth prosecution...seems like SEC tends to get more settlements than convictions.

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
SEC investigation.

Blurb:

"The Securities and Exchange Commission is investigating the trading of Eastman Kodak stock after its price surged last week on news of a $765 million government loan, The Wall Street Journal reported on Tuesday.

The loan, meant to aid Kodak in producing drug ingredients, was announced last Tuesday, July 28. After the announcement, Kodak stock leaped as much as 350%. Shares soared even higher on Wednesday, at once point reaching a two-day gain of 2,190%.

But the stock gained as much as 26% the day before the announcement, raising questions about whether insiders traded on information about the government loan."

If it is like many SEC look-sees, they'll not find something worth prosecution...seems like SEC tends to get more settlements than convictions.
Steal 100 dollars in America you go to jail, steal 100 million get a cabinet position.

SteveT

Phil Edwards status
Apr 11, 2005
Some fishy $hit going on here.
Stocks soar 25+% the day BEFORE the announcement?
Then starts dropping the day after because an impending investigation is coming?
Be interesting to (excuse the pun) see how this pans out and who's involved.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Never shot much Kodachrome. Mainly because of inconvenience (no local lab dealt with it so processing took a few days). I liked Kodachrome 200 for certain specific situations.

I have a shot roll that never got processed framed on my wall.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I shot a lot of K-64.
You’re older than me. That was the sh!t back in the 80s.

I was shooting mostly Fuji Velvia for chromes and TriX, PlusX and TMAX 800 for B&W.

Worked out a few good cross processing combos but I don’t share those secrets.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
I shot a lot of K-64.
I liked K-25. Super ultra thin slides. I could never really tell the difference between 25 and 64 but I read about it in photography textbooks so I had to shoot the slow stuff because I thought it made me cooler.

Now I have a billion slides I don't know what to do with. Some of them are actually good, some are good memories, most are trash.

the janitor

Tom Curren status
Mar 28, 2003
north of the bridge
there was a kodak facility next to a creek where I grew up, we used to find two headed snakes and frogs with not the usual number of legs on a not infrequent basis in that creek

I'm sure this Hydrocoriquine thing will be fine

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
there was a kodak facility next to a creek where I grew up, we used to find two headed snakes and frogs with not the usual number of legs on a not infrequent basis in that creek

I'm sure this Hydrocoriquine thing will be fine
Photo chemicals are bad, m’kay...

...especially K-14...