Knockoff carver trucks?

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Carver C7 trucks are completely different from a normal truck. Fine if you don't like them. But, don't claim they're a gimmick.
Yes gimmick in my opinion only because its suppose to be like surfing on cement but I find surfing feeling using traditional skate equipment with lose trucks way closer even though you have to put one foot down sometimes:). Its like calling sup surfing just because you are standing up on wave does not make it surfing:)

emmohl80

Nep status
Oct 17, 2010
Never needed any special trucks but those curved curbs in front my my grandmas house were the sh#t!
Just an old G&S Bill Taco deck, some Indys and some Vision Shredder wheels.
Spent many a hot Tampa night ripping those things as a grom.

Reactions: rowjimmytour

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Never needed any special trucks but those curved curbs in front my my grandmas house were the sh#t!
Just an old G&S Bill Taco deck, some Indys and some Vision Shredder wheels.
Spent many a hot Tampa night ripping those things as a grom.
Late 80z at swap meet I scored a '78 Sim's Pure Juice 36" maple and oak with trackers, Snake II, and golden German bearings. I rode this board (still own) until the wheels barely have life bezt board for bombing hills when I lived on West Side by high school in SC.

Reactions: emmohl80

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
Yes gimmick in my opinion only because its suppose to be like surfing on cement but I find surfing feeling using traditional skate equipment with lose trucks way closer even though you have to put one foot down sometimes:). Its like calling sup surfing just because you are standing up on wave does not make it surfing:)
i was never trying to duplicate surfing on concrete, just wanted trucks that were responsive...that bounced you out of one turn and into the next. Carver's do that and do it well. been skating for about 45 years (regarding my comment about the best thing since sealed bearings - i meant that literally coz i do remember skating before sealed bearings....can recall early on, as a kid, scrabbling around on a dark parking lot at night trying to find ball bearings that had dribbled out of my skateboard wheels).

as i got older and had the cash to put a good board together back in the 80's and 90's, can recall being shocked at how little truck technology had evolved. i tried the early version of trucks with springs (can't recall who made them), but they sucked....bought a set of Gullwing Sidewinders about 15 years ago, and they were better, but not quite there. then i found Carvers and they were the sh!t for just cruising - pumping with little energy lost from side to side. maybe there is something better out there now, but Carvers rock for cruising, imho. ymmv.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
i was never trying to duplicate surfing on concrete, just wanted trucks that were responsive...that bounced you out of one turn and into the next. Carver's do that and do it well. been skating for about 45 years (regarding my comment about the best thing since sealed bearings - i meant that literally coz i do remember skating before sealed bearings....can recall early on, as a kid, scrabbling around on a dark parking lot at night trying to find ball bearings that had dribbled out of my skateboard wheels).

as i got older and had the cash to put a good board together back in the 80's and 90's, can recall being shocked at how little truck technology had evolved. i tried the early version of trucks with springs (can't recall who made them), but they sucked....bought a set of Gullwing Sidewinders about 15 years ago, and they were better, but not quite there. then i found Carvers and they were the sh!t for just cruising - pumping with little energy lost from side to side. maybe there is something better out there now, but Carvers rock for cruising, imho. ymmv.
Indyz still have worse bushings always replace with bones mediums but still do not understand hype of not putting foot down to gain some speed on flat surface. More fun to surf transitions like drive ways and do off the lips or snaps like your surfing or even better getting tubed on big tree brances from drive way to drive way:)

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
Indyz still have worse bushings always replace with bones mediums but still do not understand hype of not putting foot down to gain some speed on flat surface. More fun to surf transitions like drive ways and do off the lips or snaps like your surfing or even better getting tubed on big tree brances from drive way to drive way:)
it's funny you put it that way, coz when i bought Carver's, it did not even occur to me that skating without pushing would be possible....but it came pretty quickly afterwards that "hey, i can go around the block just by pumping!" and that was a revelation. that being said, you're correct - you will want to refresh your speed/momentum on flat surfaces by pushing. but tearing down a street full of driveways and sloped curbs on a Carver, complete with snaps and otl's, is still a blast after all these years:shaka:

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
it's funny you put it that way, coz when i bought Carver's, it did not even occur to me that skating without pushing would be possible....but it came pretty quickly afterwards that "hey, i can go around the block just by pumping!" and that was a revelation. that being said, you're correct - you will want to refresh your speed/momentum on flat surfaces by pushing. but tearing down a street full of driveways and sloped curbs on a Carver, complete with snaps and otl's, is still a blast after all these years:shaka:
Yes love it still today like when I was 12 or trying to get Occy backside bottom turns to snaps down but my point was bezt for me 80z early 90z 10" deck (current set up: Cab "bat dragon", Indyz 169, bones medium bushing, 69mm ATF bones) Indyz bezt set up skate surf experience. For no push pump 100% experience I want to hit a pump track that looks fun. Wish we had one close by.

emmohl80

Nep status
Oct 17, 2010
Never had an issue pumping around on a standard skate.
Always just kept an old shaped deck setup with loose trucks to cruise around for that surfy feeling.
Push off the back truck with some soft grippy wheels and go.

Reactions: rowjimmytour

sdsurfrat

Michael Peterson status
Jun 2, 2008
Legend, folklore would have it that back in the day, 70's, Buttons, was able to carve pump his skateboard all the way back up the Trestles paved path after shredding the surf! That has always been in the back of my mind as i walk/bike down that path. Someday i'm gonna get it too! Just like Buttons! :jamon:

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Never had an issue pumping around on a standard skate.
Always just kept an old shaped deck setup with loose trucks to cruise around for that surfy feeling.
Push off the back truck with some soft grippy wheels and go.
Kinda like some who claim boards have to thick rails and can not make turns or board does not go backside.....:):):)

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
I was a longboard skate dork for a bit when I was younger. Never bought carvers because of the price, but found Bennett Vector trucks provided a more "surfy" vibe than indy's, but because of the stupid square hanger slappys are not recommended. If you're just a cruiser and not a jibber, they're great for pumping. I have kept a set on a little old school cruiser, don't have to set a foot down unless I want to.