Kneeboard Design

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
bsnyder said:
Most of my models have been Quads. Aussies seem to like Twinny’s a lot. Just like shortboards, just a looser option. Mara a personal for myself. Quad setup with Lg. MR’s & smaller more up right trailers. Very pivotal & makes quick direction changes.

Not the most competent Kneeboarder, but I’m learning. Important for me to know directly about the boards I’m building & selling. First hand knowledge is key!

Built two last month headed for East coast. Standard Double Wing swallow tail, & a Fireball step/channel to Outer Banks.
what's the price range for your kneeboards?

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
Buddy McCray's F2K fish models work well. A traditional fish template, quad fin, but the fins are
set forward compared to a traditional quad fish.

Makes them a bit looser and more maneuverable in smaller surf.

Clamsmasher

Michael Peterson status
Apr 22, 2013
Nar
Just picked this up super cheap, I think I beat every cripple in the state to the front door...all 3 of them.

5’10 x 22 3/4” x 2 3/4”.

I’ve always had a reverence for kneeboarders, the first surf vid i watched was Crystal Voyager...mind blowing. I watched a couple of them dominate biiiggg lined up reef surf at Bells and Winki when I was younger.

Ive basically only foiled for 18months, and I feel so rewired, I have a hard time imagining shortboard surfing again, especially in small surf. I do really miss getting barrelled though. This will do the trick I think.

So stoked there are erbb’ers on this sauce. Tell me if you’ve ridden anything like this design, it’s intriguing.

F96D5B95-6B70-475E-818E-35296758ED29.jpeg273E9354-306A-408E-B86D-814235E1A287.pngA1115148-03F0-4EBA-97B0-5C2CD3D80544.png0B6F5876-4863-48CF-9F64-9F75315314C6.jpeg5A3770F9-0BB4-4483-9764-33DC6B6A5F81.png

njsurfer42

Michael Peterson status
Mar 16, 2006
shrouded in a 5/4
Ive always had a curiosity about kneeboarding, but these dims seem absolutely massive...& this isn’t the first kneeboard I’ve seen w/ what appear to me to be huge amounts of foam. Can anyone explain why? I always thought good kneeboard dims would be something fish-like around 5’0 or something.

Reactions: Clamsmasher

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
Small bladey fish type boards were developed for once uncrowded places like moids, newbs or other reef slab set ups. Once you leave that realm and hit the beaches and need to cover some ground the extra foam is critical for survival.
Barry Snyder is making some real nice modern kneeboards and classic spoons. The guy is a master craftsman for sure.

Clamsmasher

Michael Peterson status
Apr 22, 2013
Nar
I think this might’ve been mentioned earlier in the thread but there is a bit of a divergence between the Australian and US kneeboard designs.
Different fin placement, and seems like they mostly sit in the 5’10 to 6’ range here. To me, a 6’ pintail thruster looks like a good time. Lotsa rail so less wiggling i guess.

SlicedFeet

Miki Dora status
Dec 17, 2004
Swarm Diego
I’m 6’3 225-230. My regular boards are 6’0 - 6’2, my step up is 6’5 and don’t need to go bigger for what I surf. My boards do have lots of nose rocker 4 to 5 1/2“ thus they paddle like slugs. So it’s deceiving. I’m not a contender in the lot and some of the top guys probably ride smaller boards, just like eveything - find what works for you.

The Australian fins forward design work the best for modern style, up and down and carves. The classic Sandiego Keel, surfboard style, still are absolutely effective in drainers and lined up points. They were perfected by the legends, they will always work. So much respect for those guys.

Reactions: Clamsmasher and JTS

SlicedFeet

Miki Dora status
Dec 17, 2004
Swarm Diego
If your looking for resources

San Diego:
Barry Snyder out of Oceanside - talk about, “Talk to your shaper” love his boards and trip.

Mike Griffin shapes out of Bird’s Surf Shed - such a cool guy and the essence of soul - he makes the raddest San Diego style keel fin fish kneeboards. Goto guy for one of those. Absolute beauties.

OC:
Romanosky - legend
SD Kneeboards - Joe Taylor/ Sweeney - most of the best US guys ride them.
Frog House can point you to others or in the right direction

Hawaii - Buddy McCray - Blast kneeboards - Super Legend.

Deckpad - must have - Covepad.com

Fins - Yucca! Pack Rat Thrift by SDSU has them and owned by hardcore kneeboarder. and the traditional Vipers, Duck Feet etc.

Of course there’s others I’ve left out...go suss it out

Reactions: JTS

Clamsmasher

Michael Peterson status
Apr 22, 2013
Nar
Went and said g'day to him several years ago when he was just starting out.
Mo's carbon fibre glassing is top notch. He also does DVS's boards.
This thread has me thinking...and looking on Gumtree (Aussie Craigslist equiv).
More choice over your side of the country Pete. Imagine hitting small draining Snapper on a kneelo...would be amazing....ditto for a bunch of sand bottom places on the East coast.

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
I actually learnt to surf as a kneeboarder on a Crozier slab single fin. Went from the Sunshine coast to Sydney to study at university there. Started riding Crozier twins while there. I would take trips down to Nth of Wollongong and surf slabs along the coast.
Learnt to ride regular boards at Bondi right before Simon introduced the thruster. Would like to get some good days at Noosa on a kneeboard.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
If your looking for resources

San Diego:
Barry Snyder out of Oceanside - talk about, “Talk to your shaper” love his boards and trip.

Mike Griffin shapes out of Bird’s Surf Shed - such a cool guy and the essence of soul - he makes the raddest San Diego style keel fin fish kneeboards. Goto guy for one of those. Absolute beauties.

OC:
Romanosky - legend
SD Kneeboards - Joe Taylor/ Sweeney - most of the best US guys ride them.
Frog House can point you to others or in the right direction

Hawaii - Buddy McCray - Blast kneeboards - Super Legend.

Deckpad - must have - Covepad.com

Fins - Yucca! Pack Rat Thrift by SDSU has them and owned by hardcore kneeboarder. and the traditional Vipers, Duck Feet etc.

Of course there’s others I’ve left out...go suss it out

Terry Senate in San Clement made my dad's last one. I have no idea where to find Richard Gomez anymore, his were my favorites.