Knee Pain

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Ive gained about 15 lbs in the past 10 months but some of that is undoubtably fat because i was eating pretty heavy. This is doing kotg leg workouts 2x week, upper body/core 2-3x week and echo bike workouts/stretching/weighted vest hikes thrown in there. Workouts are usually an hour and a half or so.

Ive been traveling so not able to do my routine and ive been eating lighter and surfing/biking for the past month so ive trimmed down. Went from 170 to 190 at my heaviest. Right now about 182 and pretty slim. Spent much of my adult life in the 165 lb range which for a 6-3 tall guy is pretty skinny. I wish id gotten my sh!t together a long time ago. The knee is still an issue though. Not back to 100%.

Are you on a hypertrophy program?

For almost my whole life all I did was surf and I figured that would keep me in shape and it did.
I only ran when the surf was crappy or when I was away from surf, just to keep up the cardio. That worked until I was 58 and got "injured." Now I'm doing all kinds of extra training. Better late than never. But it still all gets put aside when the surf is on. I only ran once this week and haven't done the barbell day, but have been getting plenty of surf.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Ive gained about 15 lbs in the past 10 months but some of that is undoubtably fat because i was eating pretty heavy. This is doing kotg leg workouts 2x week, upper body/core 2-3x week and echo bike workouts/stretching/weighted vest hikes thrown in there. Workouts are usually an hour and a half or so.

Ive been traveling so not able to do my routine and ive been eating lighter and surfing/biking for the past month so ive trimmed down. Went from 170 to 190 at my heaviest. Right now about 182 and pretty slim. Spent much of my adult life in the 165 lb range which for a 6-3 tall guy is pretty skinny. I wish id gotten my sh!t together a long time ago. The knee is still an issue though. Not back to 100%.
You put on a lot of muscle.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Are you on a hypertrophy program?

For almost my whole life all I did was surf and I figured that would keep me in shape and it did.
I only ran when the surf was crappy or when I was away from surf, just to keep up the cardio. That worked until I was 58 and got "injured." Now I'm doing all kinds of extra training. Better late than never. But it still all gets put aside when the surf is on. I only ran once this week and haven't done the barbell day, but have been getting plenty of surf.
I think the tissues of you guys on here are far more solid than the general population - you've all been active your whole lives and you're a multi-sport athlete. You guys don't seem to be getting modern pain science which will give you more confidence in your tissues and reduce pain.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I think the tissues of you guys on here are far more solid than the general population - you've all been active your whole lives and you're a multi-sport athlete. You guys don't seem to be getting modern pain science which will give you more confidence in your tissues and reduce pain.
You'll notice I always put "injury" in quotes. Pain science.

Finally took a break from surfing and did my barbell workout today.

I was thinking today about something my MD said last week during my annual physical, "You're an athlete..." She was referring to my low heart rate. I realized that the things I love doing the most are surfing and running and hiking, so my quality of life is wrapped up in that. All the training is to preserve that.

Last edited:
Reactions: john4surf and PRCD

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
I realized that the things I love doing the most are surfing and running, so my quality of life is wrapped up in that.
For guys like us, the fear of not getting back to our activity is probably what drives our pain - thoughts such as, "This STILL hurts when I run" or "When will I get back to normal?"

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
The knee had been behaving itself for a few months until the day after my last surf trip. (Thankfully) Day after I got home I took my dog for a five mile walk about half of which was on sand. The last mile back to the house out of the blue it started hurting. That was 8 weeks ago and its been on and off ever since. I could stand up from sitting and feel 100% fine walking around. An hour later I could stand up and it feels like an ice pick is being shoved into it and when that happens every step is a stabbing pain. Later I could stand up again and feel 90% fine. Once its fired up it stays fired up for days. I've come to the conclusion that it has to be a meniscus tear based on what I've been feeling lately. Not sure where to go with it from here.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
The knee had been behaving itself for a few months until the day after my last surf trip. (Thankfully) Day after I got home I took my dog for a five mile walk about half of which was on sand. The last mile back to the house out of the blue it started hurting. That was 8 weeks ago and its been on and off ever since. I could stand up from sitting and feel 100% fine walking around. An hour later I could stand up and it feels like an ice pick is being shoved into it and when that happens every step is a stabbing pain. Later I could stand up again and feel 90% fine. Once its fired up it stays fired up for days. I've come to the conclusion that it has to be a meniscus tear based on what I've been feeling lately. Not sure where to go with it from here.
I’d go see a Doc or PT to start with.

Reactions: slipped_disc

VaB

Michael Peterson status
Nov 14, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA

Ive had knee trouble for a while and have little interest in surgery. Found myself a good PhD PT locally and worked with her instead.