Knee brace - outside wetsuit?

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Has anyone done this?

I'm rehabbing my knee for probably the next couple months after tearing my meniscus. I'm currently able to walk and pedal on the Echo Bike without much pain but certain movements still upset my knee. Deep squats and certain twisting motions, for example. I don't plan on attempting to surf until I can at least do burpees and maybe carve around on a surfskate without pain. If it takes all summer, so be it.

When I do finally try surfing again I will wear a brace of some sort, at least at first. I've done the cheap, soft, velcro style brace underneath my wetsuit in the past, with mixed results. I don't think it really offers the protection I'm looking for and it's annoying trying to pull a 5mm suit over it without it folding or shifting around.

I was thinking maybe I could get one of the high end ones rigid braces and wear it over my wetsuit for peace of mind while I'm getting back into surfing. Has anyone tried this?

Here is the brace I'm considering: POD K4

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
That looks like it would “work”
It’s going to add a bunch of weight and drag
Are you having surgery?
not if I can avoid it.

i got an MRI and talked to a couple surgeons. first surgeon was pretty gung ho, like let let's get in there and cut some sh!t. the second one said he thought rehab was a better option. he told me the most recent studies showed worse arthritis among people who had meniscus surgery. if rehab doesn't work i can always get surgery but once they remove part of your meniscus there is no getting it back.

averagejoe

Miki Dora status
May 28, 2008
So far away
www.mardawg.com
not if I can avoid it.

i got an MRI and talked to a couple surgeons. first surgeon was pretty gung ho, like let let's get in there and cut some sh!t. the second one said he thought rehab was a better option. he told me the most recent studies showed worse arthritis among people who had meniscus surgery. if rehab doesn't work i can always get surgery but once they remove part of your meniscus there is no getting it back.
I had the meniscus removed in my left knee and repaired in my right. They’ve advanced the technique for repairs and they’re way more successful than in the past.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
If you can avoid surgery that is the best way to go.

But sometimes you can't fix with rehab.

Rehab is annoying too.

Reactions: Aruka

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
stem cells?

my neighbor had meniscus surgery and now just did knee replacement.
Yeah i actually have a neighbor who had meniscus surgery like 6 months ago and shes been all fcked up since then and now has to go back in for round 2.

I went to regenerative medicine place to inquire about PRP and stem cells. Ended up getting PRP injections. The needles were bigger than I expected but the Fenty drip was nice.

Reactions: Havoc
Aug 29, 2019
Is your tear on the inside curve of the meniscus, or in the thicker body part?

The meniscus is not so involved in the stability of the knee, if it is still there, even with a large complex tear. So a brace won’t really add much. It may “unload” the torn meniscus, but will then “load” other parts of the knee, and braces have never been shown to help much.

Even if it’s a big complex tear in the lateral part, repairing that has not really been shown to give benefit, and there is a period of non weight bearing, and a long rehab. If it’s not locking or giving out, and you can tolerate the pain, just bike/walk and strengthen and get rom back so you can pop up. If it’s a tear of the thinner part, again if it’s functional, just carry on. If you are young, and they can do the surgery asap, might be worth a try…but might not, lol.

Despite having a very common injury, you are in uncharted waters. Good luck!

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
I rehabbed mine but know it's inevitable sometime down the road.

My buddy had his knee cleaned a few years ago and now is looking at partial replacement cause of all the arthritis. I think the arthritis was already there prior to surgery though.

As for the brace, in my experience a brace didn't really do anything. If anything just a basic ne brace to keep your leg warm is all I really used.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I thught this company was the gold standard for knee braces-

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Surfing is a terrible sport for having fucked up knees.

Fucked up anything.

Because your nervous system is putting on the brakes.

averagejoe

Miki Dora status
May 28, 2008
So far away
www.mardawg.com
You could try a compression sleeve

I vote for surgery. I've had both knees done and I'm fully recovered. Recovery from the repair takes quite a bit longer than from removal. When I met with the surgeon for my second surgery, he recommended repair and I asked for removal because I'd read that recovery from repair takes longer and recovery from the surgery isn't always successful and then they have to go back in and remove. When I woke up from surgery, they told me they'd done repair and I was pissed. Now I'm actually glad I got the repair. I was able improve my 1RM on both squat and deadlift post-surgery; not because of the surgery but because I did the extra work. It's been about two and a half years and I have full range of motion back - meaning I can sit on my heels with my toes pointed behind me.

Like Autoprax said - your nervous system knows you're injured and will work to protect you from yourself

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
As far as I know there is no repair possible unless the tear is in the outer "red" part of the meniscus which has enough blood flow to heal. Surgery will basically involve removal of the damaged portion.

If the rehab doesnt do the trick I will go the surgery route but im going to give it another couple months.

bigglesworth

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 8, 2017
You could try a compression sleeve
I found wearing a 5/4 wetsuit worked like a compression sleeve already.

the tricky part with braces and surfing is salt water wears out the velcro quite quickly; a couple of sessions and the function isn't quite there.

SurfDoc

Michael Peterson status
Dec 19, 2002
ex-pat Huntington Beach
Visit site
Braces can help a little, but more so psychological to avoid doing dumb stuff. The ultimate saving of a joint is the strength of the muscles crossing the joint. Of course, healing the inflammation in the joint, the ligaments, and tendons and hoping for no complex tears of the menisci helps. too.

kpd73

Nep status
Apr 5, 2014
Cut the sleeve off an old wetsuit from opening to about mid forearm. Pull up and over wetsuit knee pad and wear out for quick session to see how it feels.
Mess with wetsuit thickness/size you're using to cut sleeve.
Older the suits the better- That Michelin Man rubber is Stiff and adheres to kneepad better.
Find one you like and have someone sew and trim around edges.
Voila!
A Redneck, or New England Cracker over wetsuit knee brace.

wedge2

Billy Hamilton status
Jan 20, 2011
Leukotape is your new friend...a well taped knee can work wonders as they don't slip like braces (unless your getting a custom donjoy that takes your measurements...Mine was 900 bucks in 2002 when I tore my ACL). I use the tape for my shoulders too...RIP any hair in those areas though.

Last edited: