knee brace for surfing

INDTUBE

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 6, 2019
Does anyone surf with a knee brace - I jacked myself up at the skatepark (I guess at 53 I should get out of the skatepark) and have been out of the water for a month now. Looking for recommendation... thanks in advance.

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
Does anyone surf with a knee brace - I jacked myself up at the skatepark (I guess at 53 I should get out of the skatepark) and have been out of the water for a month now. Looking for recommendation... thanks in advance.
Check out Don Joy
there's a bunch from others that wake surfers use as well that are carbon fiber but pricey

Drumsurf

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 4, 2012
Beach
Bump. Indtube - did you get one? Which model? How does it work with a wetsuit?

Torched my knee on Sunday placing soccer. Feels like a torn ACL (again!). Waiting on MRI but don't have time for surgery if it's torn. Going to indo in July and worse case scenario just hoping rehab and strengthening will get me through. That and a brace.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
ACL surgery isn't as necessary as once believed. It depends on the person and the activity. Get the MRI and make your decision accordingly. If this trip is a once in a lifetime, your torn ACL will still be torn when you get back and you can get it fixed then.

Drumsurf

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 4, 2012
Beach
ACL surgery isn't as necessary as once believed. It depends on the person and the activity. Get the MRI and make your decision accordingly. If this trip is a once in a lifetime, your torn ACL will still be torn when you get back and you can get it fixed then.

That's my plan. Have a boat trip booked and paid for to Mentawais. I'm not missing it! I was able to surf with the last torn ACL (back leg). I put off surgery until after summer as I had travel plans then too. This time it's my left (front leg) which I would think would be easier to surf with but maybe that's just being hopeful.

I'd only consider surgery to get back to playing soccer but at 49 I should probably quit anyway.

SurfDoc

Michael Peterson status
Dec 19, 2002
ex-pat Huntington Beach
Visit site
A big issue with ACL tears is instability. The rule of thumb is the joint's stability is a factor of the muscle strength that crosses that joint. However, damaged cartilage. ligaments, and tendons can be HUGE factors in the overall joints functionality.

The decision to quit sports based on age, injury, ability, state of mind is a multifactorial and very personal choice. One would be wise to heed the advice of colleagues who understand the sport and your situation plus factoring in the history of individuals in similar situations regarding the sport and deciding whether to carry on or not. For example, championship boxers, star soccer players, and Super Bowl winning QB's all have to make that tough change at some point...

Reactions: paunch23

paunch23

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2011
Rep. of Panama, La Barqueta, David, Chiriquí
A big issue with ACL tears is instability. The rule of thumb is the joint's stability is a factor of the muscle strength that crosses that joint. However, damaged cartilage. ligaments, and tendons can be HUGE factors in the overall joints functionality.

The decision to quit sports based on age, injury, ability, state of mind is a multifactorial and very personal choice. One would be wise to heed the advice of colleagues who understand the sport and your situation plus factoring in the history of individuals in similar situations regarding the sport and deciding whether to carry on or not. For example, championship boxers, star soccer players, and Super Bowl winning QB's all have to make that tough change at some point...
Same situation here. Tore mine 100% couple months ago (for the second time), but didnt even noticed it this time.
Playing soccer my knee would swell a little so i had an mri and found out that shts completely torn and is playing mind games on me now...

Not sure whether to get surgery or not. I’ve quit soccer mostly. And surfing feels Ok.
Is surfing one of those sports you NEED acl?? I’m 39.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
Soccer is a knee injury waiting to happen for older men. Aside from the stress on the joint from changing direction and loading the knee, there's other people leaning or crashing into you that you can't always plan for. If you love it play, but if you like it but really like doing other things also, I would tend to let the one that would shelf me go.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
Same situation here. Tore mine 100% couple months ago (for the second time), but didnt even noticed it this time.
Playing soccer my knee would swell a little so i had an mri and found out that shts completely torn and is playing mind games on me now...

Not sure whether to get surgery or not. I’ve quit soccer mostly. And surfing feels Ok.
Is surfing one of those sports you NEED acl?? I’m 39.
Like the doc said, the issue is knee stability. I tend to believe you need an intact ACL...but if it's stable and the ligament is going to get grafted anyway AND the trip is once in a lifetime I would take the trip in consultation with a surgeon...whose not going to like it but will probably give you an honest positives and negatives talk.

This is overly general but if you are strong you are more likely to have a stable knee post tear....just thought I would throw that in there.

Drumsurf

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 4, 2012
Beach
This is overly general but if you are strong you are more likely to have a stable knee post tear....just thought I would throw that in there.
Agree. Between consistent soccer and surfing and being healthy/active I’m hoping my knee strength is above average and I can get it back to “normal” pretty quickly. Doesn’t mean I’ll be able to play soccer or cut aggressively but at this point I just want to surf.

paunch23

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2011
Agree. Between consistent soccer and surfing and being healthy/active I’m hoping my knee strength is above average and I can get it back to “normal” pretty quickly. Doesn’t mean I’ll be able to play soccer or cut aggressively but at this point I just want to surf.
we’re on the same boat man. Well im not going to Indo, but you know what i mean.
I have given up soccer already, BUT im wondering whether im better off surfing without an acl or with... Sounds likeit could bring me more knee problems in the future if i dont get surgery.

Drumsurf

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 4, 2012
Beach
All good brother.

I’m still curious if anyone has had success surfing with a knee brace. And, if so, which one.

rts265

Phil Edwards status
Oct 19, 2007
Yeah. Any recs? My old knee injury acting up with ankle injury. I remember I taped it for Jiu jitsu. Never found one I liked

rts265

Phil Edwards status
Oct 19, 2007
You guys are walking and surfing with torn acl’s? My meniscus is acting up and I’m all in panic mode lol.

paunch23

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2011
You guys are walking and surfing with torn acl’s? My meniscus is acting up and I’m all in panic mode lol.
Dude meniscus is worst than ACL . At least for me.
No joking but do squqds and sh!t. Especially singled leg. Balanced.
I have one of those indo boards and do squads while riding the indo board. What a frggj a hole i must look like but i’m telling you it works.

i have goven up soccer quite a lot. Only play like once a month cuz is a hell of a cardio...‍♂

Reactions: rts265

rts265

Phil Edwards status
Oct 19, 2007
Dude meniscus is worst than ACL . At least for me.
No joking but do squqds and sh!t. Especially singled leg. Balanced.
I have one of those indo boards and do squads while riding the indo board. What a frggj a hole i must look like but i’m telling you it works.

i have goven up soccer quite a lot. Only play like once a month cuz is a hell of a cardio...‍♂
I gave you a thumbs down because that’s terrible to hear. It’s an old injury. Tore my left way worse and took it seriously. Rehabbed it. It’s damned near 100%. The right one was mild. Didn’t take it seriously. Bothers me to this day. It’s the one acting up. Hopefully it’s just from compensating for ankle and will feel better soon.

rts265

Phil Edwards status
Oct 19, 2007
In my experience meniscus injuries suck because you have some flap of cartilage hanging around. Just got to work it out or have the doc cut it. I’ve never had surgery.