Knee arthritis

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
so if I ask the ortho guys at Kaiser for a PRP injection will they laugh at me or look like they don't know what I'm talking about.
Bet they don't cover it..

Reactions: Autoprax

oneworlded

Administrator
Jun 4, 2004
Murrica
chrisdixonreports.com
so if I ask the ortho guys at Kaiser for a PRP injection will they laugh at me or look like they don't know what I'm talking about.
Bet they don't cover it..
Any good ortho will know about it. Any good one too will tell you to go w/three injections over several months. Don't expect overnight results. I paid 330$ outta pocket for each injection. Totally worth it. Now apparently my blue cross has decided to cover 1/2 of injections. It's gaining more acceptance. I'd add. I've been at the Ft Lauderdale boat show last three days - walking miles in shitty Vans. Knee feels all good.

• Love
Reactions: Aruka

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
its your own platelets. They draw blood then centrifuge it to get the platelets then just inject em into yer knee with a hypodermic using ultrasound to guide em. Easy peasy. Highly recommend y’all try before miniscus cut or knee replacement.
Is this the same thing as what they call stem cell therapy?

EDIT: What is the Difference Between Stem Cell Therapy and PRP Therapy? | Personalized Orthopedics of the Palm Beaches (popb.md)

Cost is estimated at 5 to 10 grand per hip. No insurance will cover it. I have friends who are doctors who highly recommend stem cell therapy. I have minor occasional pain in one hip but apparently I've mostly worn it out. Oddly if I work out on it every day, I'm fine. The more I have to sit, the more it hurts. Kind of hard to schedule a hip replacement when I am mostly surfing/training with no pain. I was looking at SCT as a way of me getting down the road a little further before I have them take a sawzall and a drill to the biggest bone in my body.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chocki

oneworlded

Administrator
Jun 4, 2004
Murrica
chrisdixonreports.com
Is this the same thing as what they call stem cell therapy?

EDIT: What is the Difference Between Stem Cell Therapy and PRP Therapy? | Personalized Orthopedics of the Palm Beaches (popb.md)

Cost is estimated at 5 to 10 grand per hip. No insurance will cover it. I have friends who are doctors who highly recommend stem cell therapy. I have minor occasional pain in one hip but apparently I've mostly worn it out. Oddly if I work out on it every day, I'm fine. The more I have to sit, the more it hurts. Kind of hard to schedule a hip replacement when I am mostly surfing/training with no pain. I was looking at SCT as a way of me getting down the road a little further before I have them take a sawzall and a drill to the biggest bone in my body.
I don't think this is stem cell therapy. The platelets - as I understand - just encourage damaged tissue in your joint to repair itself. Particularly in places that don't get a lot of blood circulation, like the cartilage along the inner side of your knee.

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Between the mornings I wake up suffering from tin man syndrome along with the damage I’m going to do to myself snowboarding this winter (danger is my business) Ive been seriously considering investing in a TENS unit.

oneworlded

Administrator
Jun 4, 2004
Murrica
chrisdixonreports.com
Between the mornings I wake up suffering from tin man syndrome along with the damage I’m going to do to myself snowboarding this winter (danger is my business) Ive been seriously considering investing in a TENS unit.

From that article: “In osteoarthritis patients, TENS does not treat or alter the arthritis, but is aimed at reducing pain.”
The thing I'd be concerned about with that is that it masks the underlying damage. So if what you're doing is actually degrading your joints, you don't feel the pain that would tell you to stop - so you do more damage as a result. Stem cell and PRP actually - supposedly - help with actual healing.

Reactions: john4surf

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002

I hate the way those things feel
I think it goes back to my days working on telephone wires on poles in the rain, getting little minor shocks. It didn‘t hurt, but made me nauseous after a while

Reactions: Chocki

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
From that article: “In osteoarthritis patients, TENS does not treat or alter the arthritis, but is aimed at reducing pain.”
The thing I'd be concerned about with that is that it masks the underlying damage. So if what you're doing is actually degrading your joints, you don't feel the pain that would tell you to stop - so you do more damage as a result. Stem cell and PRP actually - supposedly - help with actual healing.
If I had the cake I’d have gone full Rogan already and had them shoot me up with dead babies left and right. I will more than likely be doing it in the future.

I was interested in the TENS mainly for general recovery after going balls out on my snowboard bouncing off trees getting laid out from taking a branch to the helmet etc the potential benefits re arthritis would be gravy.