Knee arthritis

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
It’s better but still hurts when I bend it completely and hold. But range of motion is ok and I should be fine to surf on it. I actually practiced some dry land pop ups just to see how my knee would feel popping and then extending. Felt fine

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
Google "kneesovertoesguy" on a video search. YouTube.

Same guy. You can a lot of the basics for free of YouTube in very succinct videos. His stuff has eliminated pain in problem knees for a lot of people. But nothing works for everybody all the time.

ATG | Personal Training Reinvented (atgonlinecoaching.com)

I'm sure somebody will be offended by that. I mean this IS the erBB.

Now if you will excuse me I must feed my herd of ravening pitbulls with the mutilated bodies of those that last attacked me. My masculinity is toxic, my bathtub has claw-feet and I'm baking my testicles in full spectrum light. Bring it.
I've been doing knees over toes exercises. Fixed my weak knees in 3 weeks.

SurfDoc

Michael Peterson status
Dec 19, 2002
ex-pat Huntington Beach
Visit site
Recurring joint fluid is a sign of chronic inflammation in the knee joint. As it is a weigh bearing joint and subject to a lot of motion healing can take months or years. A good result following drainage and a steroid injection can be a good sign but the risk of recurrence is high. Excercise and even just routine walking can lead to recurrence so rest, wrapping, and a cane are all crucial to giving the knee some "time off." Simple water on the knee that doesn't resolve within a few weeks pretty much necessitates a vist to the orthopedic surgeon for evaluation.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
This is what I continue to experience. It will be fine for a few days but when I commute a couple days in a row (each day I commute entails about 2.5 miles of walking) my knee will get sore again, especially on the back of my knee. Even doing a bunch of push ups will leave it sore. I’m going to be extra vigilant the next few weeks- gonna wear my brace and use the cane for commuting between now and Mexico on the 9th.

got lulled into complacency because it will eventually start to feel totally fine and then I stop using the brace and start doing my usual daily push ups and pull ups and it ends up swollen and sore again for a couple days. This has been going on since mid March when I first injured it. The doc even said the mri shows several different meniscus ruptures (he pointed them out on the monitor) and said that it might get better with rest and PT but it could also very well need surgery if it doesn’t improve after a few months. And while I haven’t been the best patient I have been doing PT and resting it more often than not, but like I described above all of takes is a couple days of walking around the city and it’s right back to swollen sore and gamy.

Last edited:

oneworlded

Administrator
Jun 4, 2004
Murrica
chrisdixonreports.com
This is what I continue to experience. It will be fine for a few days but when I commute a couple days in a row (each day I commute entails about 2.5 miles of walking) my knee will get sore again, especially on the back of my knee. Even doing a bunch of push ups will leave it sore. I’m going to be extra vigilant the next few weeks- gonna wear my brace and use the cane for commuting between now and Mexico on the 9th.

got lulled into complacency because it will eventually start to feel totally fine and then I stop using the brace and start doing my usual daily push ups and pull ups and it ends up swollen and sore again for a couple days. This has been going on since mid March when I first injured it. The doc even said the mri shows several different meniscus ruptures (he pointed them out on the monitor) and said that it might get better with rest and PT but it could also very well need surgery if it doesn’t improve after a few months. And while I haven’t been the best patient I have been doing PT and resting it more often than not, but like I described above all of takes is a couple days of walking around the city and it’s right back to swollen sore and gamy.
Hey SurfDoc and Subway. Chiming in here. Subway I have your exact issue in my right knee. I have had 2 rounds of PRP (Platelet Replacement Therapy) injection therapy in my knee. It has done wonders. The first one was both pro and hyaluronic acid, the second just prp. This was a year ago. My doc recommends 3 rounds but after the second my knee was so healed up that I didn't do the third. I probably should have bc I have a little stiffness returning. So I'm going to go for the 3rd injection. But I can't tell you how much of a difference it's made. There was, for example, no way I could even Carver skate the streets in my 'hood before the PRP. Now I can do a few miles of pumping along. As I understand it, PRP encourages cellular regeneration in a part of your bod - knee and cartilage, where it just doesn't happen much. Regardless, I'd do that over cortisone based on what my doc and a good PT buddy who still races mountain bikes hard at 54. He said repeated use of cortisone can wear away the joint - but the inflammation relief disguises it - so you do more damage. Oneworlded has spoken.

Reactions: Aruka

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Don’t threaten ME with a good time editor in stock!! Sign me up for some shots

knee has actually been pretty painless overall. I still give it a good icing a few nights a week-really just that big back tendon, (maybe it’s not a tendon but whatever that rope of a muscle or meniscus that is at the bend of the knee joint) because it just feels good and I’ve noticed when I’m doing that regularly I don’t get the aches and swelling at all.

back to a regular exercise life too which is nice. Surf might be fun Thursday.

oneworlded

Administrator
Jun 4, 2004
Murrica
chrisdixonreports.com
Look up Baker's Cyst. That's probably what you got on the back of your knee. It's bc yer meniscus is probably f'd like mine. It's basically a fluid filled overflow reservoir when irritation makes your knee produce too much synovial fluid. If it bursts, you are not, not, not happy. After the PRP a Baker's cyst I had for the better part of a year eventually disappeared and my knee had way more mobility.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
That sounds gnarly and it sounds exactly like what I have lol

the Fluid build up after extended hand varied hard use is sometimes Very pronounced.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Hey SurfDoc and Subway. Chiming in here. Subway I have your exact issue in my right knee. I have had 2 rounds of PRP (Platelet Replacement Therapy) injection therapy in my knee. It has done wonders. The first one was both pro and hyaluronic acid, the second just prp. This was a year ago. My doc recommends 3 rounds but after the second my knee was so healed up that I didn't do the third. I probably should have bc I have a little stiffness returning. So I'm going to go for the 3rd injection. But I can't tell you how much of a difference it's made. There was, for example, no way I could even Carver skate the streets in my 'hood before the PRP. Now I can do a few miles of pumping along. As I understand it, PRP encourages cellular regeneration in a part of your bod - knee and cartilage, where it just doesn't happen much. Regardless, I'd do that over cortisone based on what my doc and a good PT buddy who still races mountain bikes hard at 54. He said repeated use of cortisone can wear away the joint - but the inflammation relief disguises it - so you do more damage. Oneworlded has spoken.
PRP is only for the knees? How about the shoulder, neck or back?

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
Platelet Replacement therapy sounds like a major thing. I mean, sure, shooting some platelets into your knee sounds simple, but the whole thing sounds complex

whose platelets are they?
how are the harvested?
who determines that are the right approach?

i used to donate platelets to red cross blood services. they said they used them mostly for burn victims. Is it that same procedure for harvesting?
so many questions

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Platelet Replacement therapy sounds like a major thing. I mean, sure, shooting some platelets into your knee sounds simple, but the whole thing sounds complex

how are the harvested?

i used to donate platelets to red cross blood services. they said they used them mostly for burn victims. Is it that same procedure for harvesting?
so many questions
i believe they harvest them from the same person who is receiving the treatment.

i don't think it's too big of a deal. especially compared to surgery. although some people i have talked to said the surgery was pretty minor.

@One-Off it's not just for knees. my friend just had his first prp injection in his shoulder. no word on the outcome yet.

i have been having knee pain this summer. went to a nearby ortho and he reckoned torn meniscus. he was like yeah lets get in there and remove some stuff, no big deal. i didn't like how casual he seemed about removing a chunk of my meniscus which doesn't grow back. reading about the long term outcomes for this type of surgery didn't make me feel like it was something to take lightly. going to get a 2nd opinion in a couple weeks. probably going to try prp or some stem cell/regenerative therapy before i let anyone cut on me.

glad to hear the prp worked for you @oneworlded .

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
yeah, my knee has not been misbehaving the last couple of months, but, if it DOES start doing it's thing again, good to know about the platelet treatment before surgery

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
yup my left is going fast
was supposed to get a double replacement about 8 years ago but kaiser stopped them right before my surgery so I only had my right done. The recovery/rehab for the right was so bad that the surgeon said enjoy life and when I can't take it come in to replace the left. I had gone about 10 years with no meniscus in the right before I got it done, could barely walk when I did. Not it's the same with the left having to use a cane and getting shots every 6 months for the pain. I can't take NSAIDs because of my other meds so it sucks.

Be nice to not have full knee replacement again but it's probably too late at this point.

here's the arthritis clogging the left joint from about 5 years ago and the result of changing out the right 10 years ago. you can see holes in the left from the previous arthro to repair the tear I got when I let a lip hit me on the head and drive me through my board breaking it and my tearing left meniscus.

Attachments

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
i absolutely jinxed myself. did a couple of good bike rides this week, some yoga, plenty of push ups and pull ups...some commuting, and this morning my knee is swollen behind the bend and sore. oh well. Might have a small fun sunny low tide surf early afternoon, knee won't bother me too much. wetsuit actually helps keep it a little more stable

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
I bought knee sleeves after having the meniscus repaired in my right knee and it was amazing how much it helped. Knee was more stable. Way less swelling/pain.
yeah i was wearing a "reinforced sleeve" for the first few days of my Mainland trip in July, worked great. Might start wearing it again on commuting days. It's basically just a sturdy elastic sleeve (not those ultra thin copper skin things) and it also has 2 lightweight "battens" or supports, on either side, which REALLY help keep that lateral motion supported

oneworlded

Administrator
Jun 4, 2004
Murrica
chrisdixonreports.com

how are the harvested?

so many questions
its your own platelets. They draw blood then centrifuge it to get the platelets then just inject em into yer knee with a hypodermic using ultrasound to guide em. Easy peasy. Highly recommend y’all try before miniscus cut or knee replacement.

Reactions: Aruka and john4surf

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
i believe they harvest them from the same person who is receiving the treatment.

i don't think it's too big of a deal. especially compared to surgery. although some people i have talked to said the surgery was pretty minor.

@One-Off it's not just for knees. my friend just had his first prp injection in his shoulder. no word on the outcome yet.

i have been having knee pain this summer. went to a nearby ortho and he reckoned torn meniscus. he was like yeah lets get in there and remove some stuff, no big deal. i didn't like how casual he seemed about removing a chunk of my meniscus which doesn't grow back. reading about the long term outcomes for this type of surgery didn't make me feel like it was something to take lightly. going to get a 2nd opinion in a couple weeks. probably going to try prp or some stem cell/regenerative therapy before i let anyone cut on me.

glad to hear the prp worked for you @oneworlded .
Let us know how the prp goes for your buddy with shoulder issues.

Reactions: Aruka