Kine grub?

ShiverMeTimbers

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Mar 21, 2006
Gig Harbor
www.peistcharters.com
Yesterday at Costco I was walking through the refrigerated section (you can start the sausage jokes now) and saw a Hawaiian looking guy loading up his cart with something. Another Hawaiian guy walks up and says "eh! save some da rest of us!" Now my interest is piqued. They smile and start talking about how its hard to find "da good stuff" around here. Apparently they both made extended trips because the Gig Harbor Costco is the only one in the area that carries it.

So of course I'm curious, so once they leave I circle back and grab a 4-pack of Purity Portuguese Mild Sausage & throw it in the cart.

1605377372253.png

Have I stumbled across some culinary wonder? Or is this Spam in log form? Recipes? I'm thinking of frying it up with some rice, eggs, avo?

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
Yesterday at Costco I was walking through the refrigerated section (you can start the sausage jokes now) and saw a Hawaiian looking guy loading up his cart with something. Another Hawaiian guy walks up and says "eh! save some da rest of us!" Now my interest is piqued. They smile and start talking about how its hard to find "da good stuff" around here. Apparently they both made extended trips because the Gig Harbor Costco is the only one in the area that carries it.

So of course I'm curious, so once they leave I circle back and grab a 4-pack of Purity Portuguese Mild Sausage & throw it in the cart.

View attachment 100895

Have I stumbled across some culinary wonder? Or is this Spam in log form? Recipes? I'm thinking of frying it up with some rice, eggs, avo?
It's linguica, and it's fucking amazing. Yes to eggs, put it on pizza. Koreans use it in kimchi rice bowls...

Reactions: ShiverMeTimbers

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
Portagee sausage foa breakfast brah!! Local island fave for decades in Hawaii. Certainly an Island staple for breakfast or Soups. Make da Soup! Maybe Paella with shrimp and Portagee sausage!
Mild or HOT flavors. Scrambled eggs, on da side with rice or hash browns.
Red or Kidney beans, potato's, portuguese sausage + what eva's you like for soups.

HarryLopez2

Legend (inyourownmind)
Sep 11, 2020
Hah! The Bend local bruddahs were frothing as well, as someone found da Pocho sausage in Costco. My favorite McDonalds breakfast when hanabata kid days was portagee sausage, eggs, rice.

Reactions: ShiverMeTimbers

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
Portuguese bean soup with that cubed up or ground into smaller pieces.
Cube it up and mix into eggs or just fry it in a pan and put over rice.
My mom used to chunk it up and mix with scrambled eggs and cheese then put between two pieces of buttered sweetbread.
Zippys Pocho egg sandwiches. Ate many of them over my drinking days after the bars

SeaFoamGreen

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 10, 2009
NorOR
Grew up eating it on the mainland, spicy version where it's known as chouric (in RI speak: charece). Scramble with eggs and served with bolos, Portagee sweet rolls. Or fried and on a sandwich, with lettuce and tomato and in clear clam chowder prob some Portagee New England hybrid. Cant have to much thou, has clogged many an artery in my fam!

Last edited: