Killed my dog today. (NSR)

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Blanca liked her treats. She ate Jamon Serrano, Iberico, she loved the little white edge of grease... She'd sigh and chomp her gums when you even approached with the stuff. She hated fruits and veggies. But her favorite of all was fish. Fishy Fishy! We'd sing, and she'd start galloping about throwing her legs in the air in every which direction. Salmon night was undoubtedly her absolute chart topper. She got the skins and dark meat... She howled when that went in her plate before it even hit the floor! And she'd chomp her jaws at the air, as if trying to grab the salmon jumping from a stream. It was the funniest thing in the world to witness.

20210418_075314.jpg

IMG_20210418_102311_873.jpg

She's resting down by the cliffs, where she used to run be happy.

R.I.P. Blanca.

IMG_20210417_192713_055.jpg

Icu812

Nep status
Jun 23, 2013
WEST of 101
Dogs truly are man's best friend...sorry for your loss...we just lost our old backpacking buddy Paloma on Monday...she just laid down by the fireplace and the wife and I looked down and realized she wasn't breathing anymore...she was over 13yrs old so it wasn't unexpected...still sad though, lost a family member...RIP Paloma...
IMGP1930.JPG

john4surf

Kelly Slater status
May 28, 2005
CBS, CA
We have pets, whether dogs, cats or whatever for an all too short period in our lives. Our pets have us for their entire lives. It is obvious your buddy was blessed to have a good life from the moment she came into your orbit, a good life for the rest of her life. It’s crushing to lose a pal but rest easy knowing she had a wonderful time with you, your family and friends. RIP Blanca. RIP girl.

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
You’re a good man and gave that dog a great life. You should be proud.

when I was a grom me and my dad went to the pound and took the next dog to be put down. A heart worm infested scraggily Sheppard mutt. We brought him back to health and he lived 16 amazing years with us.

xmesa

Nep status
Jul 25, 2014
So sorry for your loss, man. She looks so happy and stoked you found her.

I lost a rescue pitbull best friend over a year ago and i haven't had the heart to get another dog.

SurfFuerteventura

Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Screenshot_2021-04-17_191410.jpgIMG_20210417_192713_211.jpg

the house was so quiet this morning. noone to charge the neighbors dogs when they get all riled up anymore. no more chesty chompy WOOH WOOH WOOH!

got three dogs left here and they're more depressed than I am, all of us looking for her, knowing she's not to be found.

there's a door in my house I cannot bring myself to open, she would always run around when she heard my footsteps and be waiting behind it to jump me as soon as I opened it, smother me in wet slobbery kisses.

I miss her smell. Even her slober. The couches are empty without her jumping on my lap to "secure my position".

This is SO HARD.

IMG_20210417_195755_737.jpg

• Love
Reactions: xmesa

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Lost my Racer years ago. I still think about him a lot but I feel good that he is not in pain anymore. I'm happier to have had those 14 years with him than without.

Racer was the worst watch dog in the world because he loved everyone he came across. He literally would greet every single person the beach, in the park, and on the trails. If someone came over, he would pick up one of my shoes and give it to whomever came through the front door, as a welcoming gift.

It does get easier over time but you never forget them.

racer.jpg

nrthcty

Gerry Lopez status
Jun 30, 2009
N.S.D
A big part of my soul has died today.

Despite the 3 dogs and 2 cats left, the house seems empty.

She's been such a huge parr of my life for the past ten years.

Even the neighbor, who's little ankle nipper was the first of her many "grabs" is balling his eyes out crying over this one.

She was one of the few success stories that make life worth living.

I will not ever again tell the stories of her abuse. I researched that too. I will only honor her from her birth, when I found her, to her death.
looks like you gave her a great life, and as pit bulls do - she paid you in love. RIP Blanca

• Love
Reactions: SurfFuerteventura

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
Goleta
Man 9'4", I was not expecting to tear up at my desk this morning.

Good on ya for rescuing her and giving her a great life. Thanks for the pics and stories

• Love
Reactions: SurfFuerteventura

SurfFuerteventura

Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Thanks to everyone.

This dog was so much more than just a pet.

We learned so much, about her, about her breed, about ourselves, about how stoopid Karens can be when seeing a properly tied, muzzled dog, just because it's a "pitbull".

We lost "friends" over her, made new ones. Met some amazing people who do amazing work recovering severely abused animals here.

We learned what Love is capable of attaining.

She was a life changing experience this animal. For the better everyday.

As a close friend who stood by us the whole way through told us, "you took that dog from a caged maniac I was scared to have my children around, to a free dog they pet later on just a few years later. she thanked you every day for it with that smile. you both showed her unconditional love, and she took the cue and became unconditional love personified".

She had been trained using cats, apparently a common practice here. When she saw ours it was "game on". Cage and release worked that out of her, but not before she smashed the metal door of a cage rated for dogs twice her weight throwing herself at the door to get at our cats.

IMG_20210417_200247_166.jpg

She showed us.

:bowdown:

R.I.P. Blanca