Kellys Surf Ranch- Average ERBB Guy Gets A Sesh

hanger18

Nep status
Sep 16, 2003
Pacific Beach
That cutback...:love:.

Not surprised to hear everyone blows it multiple times. Confirms what I've been told - not an easy wave to surf.
Thanks man!
Yeah its more like some kind of mini tsunami. Hold downs are insane and theres no power in the top part of the wave. So many times you want to get up there and just nothing pushes back. Its not at all like a real ocean wave thats for sure. Still fun though.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Is there an actual difference between the left and the right? I would think they both would be the same but sometimes the left looks different while the right seems consistently the same.

Reactions: hanger18

hanger18

Nep status
Sep 16, 2003
Pacific Beach
Is there an actual difference between the left and the right? I would think they both would be the same but sometimes the left looks different while the right seems consistently the same.
The right is a little bigger and better for sure. The wind is a factor but I think also something with the bottom maybe. Theres some gnarly end section rights that go square. They often run the CT3 on the left and CT2 on the right. They said once the wind is a factor the CT2 on the left closes out to the fence. Even CT3 crumbles most the wave but then doubles up on the inside. Its shallow in there and holds you down for way too long.

Reactions: tenover

dl4060

OTF status
Jun 4, 2009
Wow!!

Very nice. 8 years ago if someone told you you would get barreled in Lemoore would you have believed them?

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
I'd say the OP is an above average surfer. I've had a couple of friends surf it and every one of them said that it was a difficult wave to surf compared to how it looks. One of them described it as being like a point break when the swell is coming in a bit too sideways so that the wave is bending away from you.

hanger18

Nep status
Sep 16, 2003
Pacific Beach
Wow!!

Very nice. 8 years ago if someone told you you would get barreled in Lemoore would you have believed them?
I still kinda don't believe it, lol. As a teen, I remember seeing Phil Roberts drawings and wilbur kookmeyer cartoons in Surfer. I remember raging rivers and wild waters and all the other crap basket pools. This thing is amazing. A perfect wave seriously in the middle of nowhere-land.

hanger18

Nep status
Sep 16, 2003
Pacific Beach
I'd say the OP is an above average surfer. I've had a couple of friends surf it and every one of them said that it was a difficult wave to surf compared to how it looks. One of them described it as being like a point break when the swell is coming in a bit too sideways so that the wave is bending away from you.
You're too kind. Its got a learning curve for sure. I didn't add in the 5 waves I got tossed on after I got hung up in the lip. lol! Your friends described it pretty spot on. Its a runner with a super curvy face. Lots of digging rails happen.

Groveler

Nep status
Oct 21, 2007
CA
What a cool experience. How long did a session last or how many waves were you given? Did you get to hang out and watch then go back out? Thanks for providing good insight to how the place works and surfs. You looked good on it.

hanger18

Nep status
Sep 16, 2003
Pacific Beach
What a cool experience. How long did a session last or how many waves were you given? Did you get to hang out and watch then go back out? Thanks for providing good insight to how the place works and surfs. You looked good on it.
You get two one hour heats. They have split waves so theres more waves ridden. So instead of one long 700 yard burner, you split it into two 350 sections. Each heat you end up with about 10 waves because people are falling all over the place. Its a tricky wave. So heats are 6 people and one hour long. The food and beverages there are all inclusive and super Healthy/clean.

Reactions: Groveler

hanger18

Nep status
Sep 16, 2003
Pacific Beach
So its really hard to get a top turn in? Im pretty surprised theres a hold down there, seems like it would just pass by.
Off the lips might be the hardest thing cause there isnt really a lip and if there is its super steep. Also the top of the wave doesnt push back like ocean waves do. Now I understand when I would see that contest and pros would get hung up at the top. Theres not much power on that part of the wave. I got some carves in but thats about it. i cant do airs so it was pretty much tube hunting and carves. Hold downs are ridiculous. it moves along like a rushing river and keeps dragging you for 20 yards underwater. Its wild.

hanger18

Nep status
Sep 16, 2003
Pacific Beach
Very cool. Very cool boss. Was a videographer part of the package or did you have friends someone filming?
They always have that straight on 4K camera on and its part of the package. The jetski welcomes filmers to ride as well. Non surfing guests can come for an extra $100 or so. They also have a rack of new Rip Curl wetsuits you can use and 30 boards from Firewire/SD you can try out.