Keel vs Quad

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
been digging keels a ton both fs and bs on simmons and fish designs. what's advantage of going quad?

the drive on the keels is pretty unreal maybe u can work the quads more in smaller weaker stuff?

Reactions: trifish

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
been digging keels a ton both fs and bs on simmons and fish designs. what's advantage of going quad?

the drive on the keels is pretty unreal maybe u can work the quads more in smaller weaker stuff?
yes.

This is why I didn't fall in love with the plasmic. I felt it had a true groveler feel but not the quick snappy get up and go that a quad has.

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
Ya I just found 1-2 quad sets that I click with and stick with those. Hayden large quads and Roberts Large quads are my go-tos.

To me, quads feel like they have more initial speed out the gate which helps in softer waves.

Reactions: Havoc and oeste858

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
I’ve gone away from keels the past 2-3 years in favor of more upright twins and quads. And quads felt like a revelation after surfing mostly TKF for a couple years. Just turn crisper and allows more options for you to make different lines, where keels draw things out a bit more. It’s really personal preference. I also think it suits my local spots well, where the wave can change fast-slow-fast as it goes across the reef. IMHO keels work best when ridden as short as possible. Since I can’t paddle/ride 5’6 TKFs anymore, keels don’t really let me surf top to bottom the wave as easily on 5’9-5’11.
Caveat: I have not really messed around with the more “modern” keels.

Agree you have to dial in the right quad set… but once you do: it can be magic. The TW true Ames set is buttery smooth. Also, I prefer quad rears closer to the rail (feels more like a split-up twin), but again, that’s personal preference.

Last edited:

Havoc

May 23, 2016
ya, tims keels tend to be more hp focused. even my wtfo can still turn despite being a simmons and keel. long line tkf is pretty nimble for a long fish compared to a sd style long fish with fins way back and super straight rails

Reactions: JDJ and oeste858

kpd73

Nep status
Apr 5, 2014
Quads for beachbreak or quick wave, keels for down the line surf, or just be good enough to ride both
+1

A good quad fish is Super hard to beat for all rounder stability and Fun. My JC Flying Fish was t!ts in this aspect and could handle some Solid juice.
A good quad with boxes out to the rails that can handle a split keel well is high speed shredding Money.

If you ever score a quad and are unsure of fins, the True Ames Tyler Warren quads are super neutral/dependable good performance and will really let you feel out what your Board is designed to do, and once you get that, it's easier to pick up a more niche set.
IMO

*edit- @oeste858 - I was distracted typing as you were posting. Great minds and all that....

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
ya, tims keels tend to be more hp focused. even my wtfo can still turn despite being a simmons and keel. long line tkf is pretty nimble for a long fish compared to a sd style long fish with fins way back and super straight rails
yeah huge difference between a modern keel and a double aluminum foil gheppi

tried both and I definitely prefer the modern

Reactions: JDJ and Havoc

trifish

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
I enjoy the drive and smoothness of a keel. More of a slower approach, fitting in less turns when riding, drawing them out more, and covering more ground. I find more upright keels perfect for my taste since they offer more pivot than traditional ones but still have loads of drive. If you have a point or some wall to run on, they work great because you have more time to setup, draw out your turns, and recover if needed. Removing the small pumps and taking a smooth line turn to turn feels very satisfying.

Quads I surf differently. They release more, turn tighter, so they work better at getting turned up to the lip faster when the waves are short and your trying to make the most of them. They usually work better in a larger range of conditions where keels always seem to like cleaner faces. Quads work well on grovelers also because of that range and they seem to have a larger sweet spot feeling. Hollow conditions your also getting an extra fin in the face for more hold. Both are great, but nothing beats the feeling of driving through a smooth turn on a keel for me when the conditions are right though.

*Edit/side note....Been really enjoying Mandala's quad set lately on a GH quad.

Last edited:

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
Too bad futures started making the quad back fin boxes/bases smaller than the fronts. I really like the feel of a smaller front fin on a quad set up for max rippage. If you have FCS, try running different single foil quads with the trailers in front. YMMV.

Reactions: JDJ

Havoc

May 23, 2016
Too bad futures started making the quad back fin boxes/bases smaller than the fronts. I really like the feel of a smaller front fin on a quad set up for max rippage. If you have FCS, try running different single foil quads with the trailers in front. YMMV.
u can run full depth boxes front and back and use nvs adapter. thats what i did on my wtfo quad

Reactions: trifish and npsp

menobrah

Gerry Lopez status
Feb 28, 2021
never heard of this...hmm..sort of twinzerish?

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
Yes but a little bigger outline and the cluster is spread a bit. The feeling I get from this set up is that it is easier to initiate the turn and you have better hold/drive thru the apex of the turn then a nice release and redirection to the next turn. Holds a nice line in the tube as well.

Havoc

May 23, 2016
Yes but a little bigger outline and the cluster is spread a bit. The feeling I get from this set up is that it is easier to initiate the turn and you have better hold/drive thru the apex of the turn then a nice release and redirection to the next turn. Holds a nice line in the tube as well.
speed dialers have more area in rear fin iirc. prly similar theory