keel fish recommendation?

BSK

Apr 20, 2017
Brom fish look fun. Any suggestions on size? 165, 5’9, 42. Surfed my whole life but would say intermediate. I’ve never had a real fish, would be surfed mostly on point breaks. Thanks for any suggestions!

Reactions: MathDebater and JDJ

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
Brom fish look fun. Any suggestions on size? 165, 5’9, 42. Surfed my whole life but would say intermediate. I’ve never had a real fish, would be surfed mostly on point breaks. Thanks for any suggestions!
5’7, 20 3/4-21, 2 1/2

Reactions: urchined

toowalled

Nep status
Jul 3, 2014
Ventura surf had one on the rack you could
check out

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
I'm 6'2" 180 and 48 yrs, have only been surfing for 18 years, and ride a 5'10" Brom but have had a couple 5'8's I did great on, just sold for space really and figured as I got older a 5'10" would be to go-to. I miss the 5'8" now and I'm sure I'd use it more than the 5'10". On a scale of 1 to 10, I am a solid 5 wrt surfing ability. I think you should go with 5'6".

Beach House in Santa Barbara usually has both Brom and Trimcraft boards on their new rack, and often has used Broms in the back room.

Last edited:
Reactions: BSK

toowalled

Nep status
Jul 3, 2014
anyone seen a good otr fish for sale? all the boards i have looked at have been heavy and have fat rails and noses

trifish

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
anyone seen a good otr fish for sale? all the boards i have looked at have been heavy and have fat rails and noses
Not sure where your located, but Mollusk gets deliveries from Gary Hanel every so often who does a really great job on those areas with his fish. I had his twin keel and it was a great board. Or if you have deeper pockets you probably could find a Christenson somewhere. I know Icons of Surf in San Clemente had a couple recently.

Reactions: Win win

toowalled

Nep status
Jul 3, 2014
Not sure where your located, but Mollusk gets deliveries from Gary Hanel every so often who does a really great job on those areas with his fish. I had his twin keel and it was a great board. Or if you have deeper pockets you probably could find a Christenson somewhere. I know Icons of Surf in San Clemente had a couple recently.
Thanks looked at closest mollusk and they only have his eggs. Maybe shapers will start taking orders Again next month

Reactions: trifish

donger

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 17, 2012
OC
waiting on my hanel keel...I think hanel's are the best bang for your buck, my buddy's 5'5 surfs unreal..can't wait to get mine

Reactions: trifish

vanrysss

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 25, 2019
from Oregon, now SD
Have ridden and owned both a Christenson and Dead Kooks fish in 5'4" stock dims. DK is 1/2" narrower than the CC but a bit thicker, lacks the exaggerated concave between the fins, and is less flat overall.

CC maybe more versatile in sloppy stuff, DK better for decent waves. Makes sense given where the two shape from. Both are fun boards, slight preference for the CC due to how stable and fast it felt.