Kazuma surfboards

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
Ended up ordering a Mini. Just recently sold off some boards and the mini was what I was looking for. Need something for crowd control since my local has been overrun with wavestorms.

Highly recommend Kazuma surfboards. Ordering process was actually professional. Imagine that. He responds to emails and invoices you. I'm tired of shapers who are flakes so it was a nice surprise.

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
7'0 x 20.5 x 2.88

Matt responded quickly and got me an invoice that day.

Before going with Kazuma, I tried another shaper that I had to chase for 5 days just to get a response. Discussed dims on the phone and was told he'd send me some custom dims via text. Asked him if wanted a deposit and he said no. I expected a text in a few days to get the order going. Then radio silence :socrazy:

Not sure why some shapers just won't say that they can't do it.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
7'0 x 20.5 x 2.88

Matt responded quickly and got me an invoice that day.

Before going with Kazuma, I tried another shaper that I had to chase for 5 days just to get a response. Discussed dims on the phone and was told he'd send me some custom dims via text. Asked him if wanted a deposit and he said no. I expected a text in a few days to get the order going. Then radio silence :socrazy:

Not sure why some shapers just won't say that they can't do it.
His level of professionalism really seems to stand out among shapers.
To be fair, it happens in every industry. I find this a lot in construction. A lot of guys are good at their trade, but just lack the organizational or communication skills or even interest to do the business side of it. Invoicing, bidding, and bookkeeping tends to be done at the end of a long workday, when the last thing anyone wants to do is sit down at a computer. So those tasks can get pushed down the to do list. Then, too much time has gone by, and they’re too embarrassed to reach out.
I always tell people I work with, just let me know what’s going on, even if it’s bad news or a delay: things happen, everyone is busy right now, but I have to manage my expectations and make adjustments if needed. Nothing is worse than radio silence.
As much as I hate waiting on some subcontractors, or having to chase them down for a response, sometimes the quality of their work is worth it… Most of the time they’re not.

Last edited:

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
To be fair, it happens in every industry. I find this a lot in construction. A lot of guys are good at their trade, but just lack the organizational or communication skills or even interest to do the business side of it. Invoicing, bidding, and bookkeeping tends to be done at the end of a long workday, when the last thing anyone wants to do is sit down at a computer.
I could rant all day about trades.

I've had so many experiences where someone came out, gave a bid, discussed the process, then tell me that they would send a work statement over and then just disappear. I'd even text them saying I wanted to to do the work and they're in the wind. Never heard from them again. My Dad had someone come out, start work, almost finish, get to the punch list, then just ghost him. Left $2K worth of tools and never returned. Didn't even pursue his final payment. lol

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010
my buddies is 2.625 and it feels like 2-3/8 but with hidden foam. my buddy digs it. feels really responsive.
That is the key. Lost Crowd Killer has the exacta rails creating the same effect. The CC really only works well in better or bigger surf, how about the mini?

Reactions: Havoc

feralseppo

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 28, 2006
Ended up ordering a Mini. Just recently sold off some boards and the mini was what I was looking for. Need something for crowd control since my local has been overrun with wavestorms.

Highly recommend Kazuma surfboards. Ordering process was actually professional. Imagine that. He responds to emails and invoices you. I'm tired of shapers who are flakes so it was a nice surprise.
Did you get a time estimate when your board would be done?

feralseppo

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 28, 2006
What did you order?

I would contact them if it has been that long and ask what the status is.
Step-up and another bigger wave board. Already corresponded. I was curious whether you had been quoted any particular time frame. Based on everything I've heard and other people's experience, the boards get delivered quickly.

Reactions: need 4 speed

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
He is definitely on my list of shapers I will get a board from in near future. Heard nothing but good feedback. Love his shaping videos- probably the most informative surfing instagram account.

Last edited: