Kauai (Surfline/Hanalei)

littlewave

Michael Peterson status
Nov 15, 2009
Orange County
So I should expect much smaller than their forecast? Trying to figure out what board(s) to bring. Prefer fun over death defying, so I'll be sticking to whatever spots I can find that are not super shallow/square/etc., but debating whether I need a step up or not.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
It's inconsistent because Hanalei (the surf spot) is tucked all the way inside the bay, so depending on angle the swell could completely miss the reef or hit it dead on. It might be bigger than forecast and it might be smaller. Haha. I know that doesn't help.

littlewave

Michael Peterson status
Nov 15, 2009
Orange County
It's inconsistent because Hanalei (the surf spot) is tucked all the way inside the bay, so depending on angle the swell could completely miss the reef or hit it dead on. It might be bigger than forecast and it might be smaller. Haha. I know that doesn't help.
Ha! Well I guess I'm bringing two boards and crossing my fingers then.

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
Surfline will tell you the size of waves that are available. You then go find the particular spot that has the size you want to ride. My last trip I rode a 6'9" for 3 days, then saw a guy in the water at pine trees who said these are the first waves he's found in a week. He'd been around the corner of the island and never came up to find the waves.

Reactions: littlewave

Eimeo

OTF status
Oct 18, 2005
Encinitas
Hanalei is not typically a top to bottom barrel wave. Even at 10-12 feet if you are a good surfer you can sit wide and get a few to warm up and then move deeper. Don't get me wrong, it can throw a lip at size, but we are not talking like some of the other more known spots for that kind of tube riding. I rode a 6'9 on a December swell, the paper the next day called it 18-20, have no idea what Surfline indicated. Most were out on 8'6+ but I found the smaller board to be more agile on that big of a wave face than a big gun style board, lot's of those guys couldn't pump and out run some of the sections and got buried.

Reactions: littlewave

littlewave

Michael Peterson status
Nov 15, 2009
Orange County
Hanalei is not typically a top to bottom barrel wave. Even at 10-12 feet if you are a good surfer you can sit wide and get a few to warm up and then move deeper. Don't get me wrong, it can throw a lip at size, but we are not talking like some of the other more known spots for that kind of tube riding. I rode a 6'9 on a December swell, the paper the next day called it 18-20, have no idea what Surfline indicated. Most were out on 8'6+ but I found the smaller board to be more agile on that big of a wave face than a big gun style board, lot's of those guys couldn't pump and out run some of the sections and got buried.
thanks for the intel!
Max forecast is 8-10 so I’ll bring the 6’8” step up.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
thanks for the intel!
Max forecast is 8-10 so I’ll bring the 6’8” step up.
I've never surfed there but this looks about solid 10 foot ( 4-5 foot Hawaiian?). If I was out there getting caught inside I'm sure I'd be calling it 15 feet. Looks like the first section threw out pretty well. I'd want a 7'6. At least.

littlewave

Michael Peterson status
Nov 15, 2009
Orange County
Just got back. PPK is the man, great to meet him and get to hang! 7’6” (or 12’6”) would be nice for the paddle out (and in)!

Last edited:

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
Just got back. PPK is the man, great to meet him and get to hang! 7’6” (or 12’6”) would be nice for the paddle out (and in)!
You have a neat Family, "B" ~ You're a lucky Man. A very nice lunch with you all. Hope to see you back again in the near future.
Love and Aloha from Kauai's north shore ~ :drowning: