Kauai rental cars?

encladd

OTF status
Oct 8, 2019
Won the lottery when wife inherited a spot in Kuhio. I know.... I know... needless to say I'm trying to go as often as possible.

Flights are cheap but I'm looking at 2 grand just for a week of a rental car each time I'm out there. At that price I'd rather spend a few more grand and just buy something to keep on the island. So erBB's... what's the move here? Buy or rent? I'd rather give my greenbacks to a local than a rental car company.

Eimeo

OTF status
Oct 18, 2005
Encinitas
Won the lottery when wife inherited a spot in Kuhio. I know.... I know... needless to say I'm trying to go as often as possible.

Flights are cheap but I'm looking at 2 grand just for a week of a rental car each time I'm out there. At that price I'd rather spend a few more grand and just buy something to keep on the island. So erBB's... what's the move here? Buy or rent? I'd rather give my greenbacks to a local than a rental car company.
Turo.com, not sure if prices are increasing there, but the best way to rent a local's car.

Reactions: MathDebater

encladd

OTF status
Oct 8, 2019
that's what I did; it was pre covid but worked great. Got a jeep too.
Looked into it and the prices are the same as the rental car companies (150+ a day). Good for the locals... get that bag!

mpequignot

OTF status
Nov 4, 2009

Buy a cheap reliable car where you are and ship it here. From west coast, only $1700. Inexpensive used cars here are often rusty and falling apart.

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
I *might* put my 2009 Subaru Forester up for sale. 98,780+ miles. 2nd Owner. Changed to synthetic oil. Cosmetic dings on rear bumper doors etc. Would like to have just a small Toyota p/u to take green waste to local refuse location. Wife took the dog to the beach in it. Seat covers need to be replaced. 23 - 25, 28 mpg on a long haul run. No rust. Air Condition. Not sure where your budget might be.

BTW ... where is Kuhio?
Kuhio could be anywhere in Hawaii ... mainly road names or apt / business complexes.

Last edited:

hotCheetos

OTF status
Mar 28, 2020
If you are a costco member they can have some sweet deals on rentals (2nd driver free) but if you are coming out here a couple times a year it might make more sense to buy. also depends when you are coming over. if always xmas spring break and summer then rentals will always be $$. If coming over when kids are in school usually cheaper. If buying then do you buy kauai or mainland and ship? kinda depends where you are at. westcoast and close to ports? mainland probably cheaper and more selection but you have to factor cost to ship and it might take a while. I know oahu was backed up shipping outer islands for a couple months don't think its gotten much better. call and find out. 4x4 would be nice if i was southshore to cruise polihale and when weather is junk its good to have that feature on kauai. browse craigslist and get a feel for prices, anything toyota or a truck will hold value if you bring over mainland. I had a similar deal where I used to keep a beater truck over on lana'i when i would go hunt a couple times a year but I kinda got over having to worry about maintenance, safety check ,extra cost insurance, never know when its gonna break down etc. ended up getting rid of it and just renting now because its way less of a hassle when things would go wrong. For that reason I would budget at least 5k (prices may have gone up though last i rly was looking a vehicles was a year ago), so you can get something somewhat dependable. I think there's a pretty active kauai buy sell facebook group too in addition to craigslist.

mpequignot

OTF status
Nov 4, 2009
I *might* put my 2009 Subaru Forester up for sale. 98,780+ miles. 2nd Owner. Changed to synthetic oil. Cosmetic dings on rear bumper doors etc. Would like to have just a small Toyota p/u to take green waste to local refuse location. Wife took the dog to the beach in it. Seat covers need to be replaced. 23 - 25, 28 mpg on a long haul run. No rust. Air Condition. Not sure where your budget might be.

BTW ... where is Kuhio?
Kuhio could be anywhere in Hawaii ... mainly road names or apt / business complexes.
Funny, I had the same question. All I could think of was Kuhio Ford and maybe some condos.

Yewstreet

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 8, 2019
The past decade we've been using discount hawaii car rentals, but my mom books our rentals almost a year in advance (lol - thanks mom!)

• Haha
Reactions: MathDebater

James -Bummer Jim-Devlin

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2004
kauai- excramento
www.flickr.com
Funny, I had the same question. All I could think of was Kuhio Ford and maybe some condos.
If you are a costco member they can have some sweet deals on rentals (2nd driver free) but if you are coming out here a couple times a year it might make more sense to buy. also depends when you are coming over. if always xmas spring break and summer then rentals will always be $$. If coming over when kids are in school usually cheaper. If buying then do you buy kauai or mainland and ship? kinda depends where you are at. westcoast and close to ports? mainland probably cheaper and more selection but you have to factor cost to ship and it might take a while. I know oahu was backed up shipping outer islands for a couple months don't think its gotten much better. call and find out. 4x4 would be nice if i was southshore to cruise polihale and when weather is junk its good to have that feature on kauai. browse craigslist and get a feel for prices, anything toyota or a truck will hold value if you bring over mainland. I had a similar deal where I used to keep a beater truck over on lana'i when i would go hunt a couple times a year but I kinda got over having to worry about maintenance, safety check ,extra cost insurance, never know when its gonna break down etc. ended up getting rid of it and just renting now because its way less of a hassle when things would go wrong. For that reason I would budget at least 5k (prices may have gone up though last i rly was looking a vehicles was a year ago), so you can get something somewhat dependable. I think there's a pretty active kauai buy sell facebook group too in addition to craigslist.

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
Had dinner at that restaurant last time we were on the island. Best fish entree I've ever had, ono in some kind of wasabi sauce. Pricy but that place is way better than the old beach house.

Reactions: PPK96754

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
Yup! Assorted owners throughout the years and most never got their menu in order.
Always loved the "location" of that restaurant but, there isn't really any where to park for dinning except across the street if you lucky and street parking is .... :bricks:
Valet ... :shrug:

encladd

OTF status
Oct 8, 2019
ya I think shipping over 4x4 from the mainland is the answer. access to polihale and the beach at rifle ranges unlocks that whole coastline. just need to figure out where to store the car so I can access it off the plane.

:sneaky:

Yup! Assorted owners throughout the years and most never got their menu in order.
Always loved the "location" of that restaurant but, there isn't really any where to park for dinning except across the street if you lucky and street parking is .... :bricks:
Valet ... :shrug:
lemme know if you ever need a parking pass...

Reactions: PPK96754