Kauai in July

Dec 5, 2020
SF
Def pack a step up (sounds like you are w/ the twin pin). I went last August and caught a solid S swell. Way under gunned on a 6’1” phantom as the swell peaked (solid OH+/DOH reef breaks- pretty heavy for me). I also brought a 7’0” mid length to grovel/cruise. Really wished I’d brought 6’3” Ghost or even 6’9” G$II for the 1-2 days days it fired.

80B7131E-DCA8-4492-B641-209533EF6EC4.jpeg

I basically got out at first light b/f wifey and kidiots woke up everyday; just spot checked the named spots up/down south shore. Easy getting up at the crack of dawn w/ the time change from SF. Had pretty good luck most mornings, plus a few afternoon glass off’s.

Was staying next to SW’s so lots of quick surfs there. Scored best at PK’s on the riding swell 1st AM w/ 3 other guys. Fun surfs +/- kids too a few other widely known/surfed spots near popular beaches.

I have a good Turo contact w/ a Nissan Kick that served us well for the week. Can also recommend a lesser know zone to check out I stumbled across exploring (not one to name online out of respect to the Kauai folks).

I’m jealous- Poipu/Kauai is such a cool place. Enjoy

bluengreen

Michael Peterson status
Oct 22, 2018
SF x Encinitas
Trip report! I ended up tearing my MCL off the bone in late May, so I arrived in Kaua'i unable to surf. My brother's condo is basically the lineup marker for PKs. The balcony offers a perfect view of the stretch from PKs to Acid Drop. First morning was small, went for a paddle on a wavestorm, just to get a feel for the lineup and be in the ocean. Sea turtles everywhere, schools of brightly colored fish. Real dreamy. Two days later Code Red 2.0 starts hitting the south shore. Big energy, with reefs lighting up all over. We were wondering if the reefs out front would hold the swell and they basically did. At its peak, Acid Drop was probably 15-20 foot faces with a small crew of local chargers getting huge shacks and beatdowns. Lifeguards on a ski were patrolling the zone from Poipu Beach Park to Acid Drops. As soon as they left for the evening, a guy sent it on the first wave of a mega set. Broke his leash, took three on the head, and then had to swim around to Centers and into the cove. Took him about 30 minutes. True waterman sh!t. We checked Shipwrecks that day and watched 25-40? foot faces rolling in from the western point. Looked a lot like Waimea Bay along with the insane shorebreak. No one out.

Everyday the waves continuously improved as the sun traversed the sky and peaked in the two hour window before sunset. My brother and I kept wondering how this was possible. Nothing seemed to change much (trades, tide, air temp) but the waves would improve. Chalk it up to manna.

Highlights:
*Having a front-row seat for this massive swell.
*Watching the groms shredding the little right wedge on the inside of PKs. Hawaiians seem to have more fun riding waves than anyone else I've seen. Kids were sending airs and barrel rolls, tail blows and 360s with no inhibition. Probably falling 50%. Pure stoke and elemental ocean play.
*Walking through the jungle to Pakala for the first time ("Cali kooks go home!" :p)
*Paddling out on the house board, a 6'8 Timmy Paterson shaped for Kauai in the early 90s under Paterson's "Synthetic" label. The board has a flat deck and Brewer-style (?) downrails.)
*My own kids making friends and exploring the reef at Kid's Beach.

5/5 Shakkas. Will be returning to surf soon.

Last edited:

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
No surgery! MRI reveals that the ligament reatached and is healing nicely. Still not able to do athletic activities, but I'm making weakly gains.

Nice.
I tore mine in a yoga class of all places.

I waited a few weeks to see how things went. After 2 weeks it didn't bug me doing normal activities, but the pain persisted for a few months whenever I would forget and plant my foot then pivot (Far more common than one might think when bartending and walking around a classroom). A few months later, it was all but healed.

TLDR: I tore mine, didn't get surgery. It's fine. Hope you heal up before this shithouse summer weather pattern breaks.

bluengreen

Michael Peterson status
Oct 22, 2018
SF x Encinitas
Oh, man. I hear about so many yoga injuries. I'm still working on regaining full range of motion and doing annoyingly remedial strength stuff like bridges and calf raises. Hoping to return to Kauai in late October and catch most of the fall/winter season at OB. God knows my quiver is dialed!

TangTonic

Nep status
Feb 24, 2011
Trip report! I ended up tearing my MCL off the bone in late May, so I arrived in Kaua'i unable to surf. My brother's condo is basically the lineup marker for PKs. The balcony offers a perfect view of the stretch from PKs to Acid Drop. First morning was small, went for a paddle on a wavestorm, just to get a feel for the lineup and be in the ocean. Sea turtles everywhere, schools of brightly colored fish. Real dreamy. Two days later Code Red 2.0 starts hitting the south shore. Big energy, with reefs lighting up all over. We were wondering if the reefs out front would hold the swell and they basically did. At its peak, Acid Drop was probably 15-20 foot faces with a small crew of local chargers getting huge shacks and beatdowns. Lifeguards on a ski were patrolling the zone from Poipu Beach Park to Acid Drops. As soon as they left for the evening, a guy sent it on the first wave of a mega set. Broke his leash, took three on the head, and then had to swim around to Centers and into the cove. Took him about 30 minutes. True waterman sh!t. We checked Shipwrecks that day and watched 25-40? foot faces rolling in from the western point. Looked a lot like Waimea Bay along with the insane shorebreak. No one out.

Everyday the waves continuously improved as the sun traversed the sky and peaked in the two hour window before sunset. My brother and I kept wondering how this was possible. Nothing seemed to change much (trades, tide, air temp) but the waves would improve. Chalk it up to manna.

Highlights:
*Having a front-row seat for this massive swell.
*Watching the groms shredding the little right wedge on the inside of PKs. Hawaiians seem to have more fun riding waves than anyone else I've seen. Kids were sending airs and barrel rolls, tail blows and 360s with no inhibition. Probably falling 50%. Pure stoke and elemental ocean play.
*Walking through the jungle to Pakala for the first time ("Cali kooks go home!" :p)
*Paddling out on the house board, a 6'8 Timmy Paterson shaped for Kauai in the early 90s under Paterson's "Synthetic" label. The board has a flat deck and Brewer-style (?) downrails.)
*My own kids making friends and exploring the reef at Kid's Beach.

5/5 Shakkas. Will be returning to surf soon.

I love this trip report!

I lived there for a short time. Magical place. STOCKED!

• Love
Reactions: bluengreen

Dekerwild

OTF status
Jul 28, 2017
My buddy broke up with his fiancé and has a zero refund all expenses paid honeymoon trip to Kauai so he's taking me for free in her place!!! I'm the type of person who has a hard time accepting gifts like this so it's very humbling for me to have someone pay for my way. Anyone else ever get hooked up like this?? Not sure I deserve it but I've been a good friend.

Heading there on Monday for 10dayz....any forecast updates??...looks like a decent south might hit on the 20th...stocked!

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
My buddy broke up with his fiancé and has a zero refund all expenses paid honeymoon trip to Kauai so he's taking me for free in her place!!! I'm the type of person who has a hard time accepting gifts like this so it's very humbling for me to have someone pay for my way. Anyone else ever get hooked up like this?? Not sure I deserve it but I've been a good friend.

Heading there on Monday for 10dayz....any forecast updates??...looks like a decent south might hit on the 20th...stocked!

Meals, drinks, gas & board fees on you, bud!

parkiteric

Nep status
Jul 3, 2010

lmao, im in the same exact boat, but no Kauai trip planned...YET.

I do have 700k AMEX and Chase points saved for trips though. muhahaha. evil laugh

Reactions: Dekerwild

Dekerwild

OTF status
Jul 28, 2017
This place is is sweet! South swell cranking yesterday and today and it’s looking like maybe a north swell on Tuesday and Wednesday to end the trip. Scored Code Red 2 swell in Nicaragua and this swell is pretty intense too. My luck is strong this surf season. Still not used to surfing crystal clear water over reefs but getting used to it. i thought the crowds would be insane but for the most part the vibe is mellow and I’ve gotten my share of waves for sure. Stocked!!!

James -Bummer Jim-Devlin

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2004
kauai- excramento
www.flickr.com
This place is is sweet! South swell cranking yesterday and today and it’s looking like maybe a north swell on Tuesday and Wednesday to end the trip. Scored Code Red 2 swell in Nicaragua and this swell is pretty intense too. My luck is strong this surf season. Still not used to surfing crystal clear water over reefs but getting used to it. i thought the crowds would be insane but for the most part the vibe is mellow and I’ve gotten my share of waves for sure. Stocked!!!
go to polihale tomorrow!!!!!!!

Reactions: Dekerwild