Kauai in July

bluengreen

Michael Peterson status
Oct 22, 2018
SF x Encinitas
Going on a surf trip to the South Shore of Kauai in July. Flight and lodging booked.

Any tips about what to pack in terms of boards and gear? Secret spots :p ?

bluengreen

Michael Peterson status
Oct 22, 2018
SF x Encinitas
No rental car. I'm staying on the beach at PKs/Centers/ Acid Drops and walking wherever else I need to go.

I put the Tamba sticker on boards?

James -Bummer Jim-Devlin

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2004
kauai- excramento
www.flickr.com
No rental car. I'm staying on the beach at PKs/Centers/ Acid Drops and walking wherever else I need to go.

I put the Tamba sticker on boards?
................. take your small wave (it's summer, even big swell will only be (maybe, should, could, probably , usually, rarely no more than only 12 foot at the max the distance you'll get pitch from the crest of wave down to the coral heads barely covered by water) high performance surfthingie.............and half the waves on the south are right there.... get a rental bike to cruise to the rest of shore......suck up to someone for as ride to places west...super unsecert military private wave club if have miltaryGOV ID......... SUPER SECERT ---big swell make to end of road out west....if you make it out there...tell them JBJD sent ya

• Love
Reactions: bluengreen

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
PK’s seems pretty reliable, and Lawai Beach has pretty good snorkeling, so you will be stoked staying there. Somewhat rare I can find a good beach / snorkel spot for the wife and paddle outside of it to a decent wave.

Waiohai is worth a look. You’ll surely see a pack on it. Right in front of the Marriot. I walked down the beach from our condo and paddled out over the shallow reef on the inside of the left, then proceeded to try and hero my way in by staying on a left inside after it reformed and dumped. Watch out for the very inside on the left. The Right might be better but Ive never ridden one there. They appear empty towards the Poipu Beach park lagoon.

Shipwrecks is an exciting wave but very competitive. A frames peak up outside with a short ride before barreling into the shorepound. Seems like mostly rights that Go into the beach. The left goes towards a lava shelf.

shame me for naming spots but these are probably the 3 most popular and reliable waves on the south shore.

it would take something extra to get me to surf further west (Pakalas, Davidsons, etc.) not the best history with sharks out there and it just seems more spooky.

Polihale can be sick if you are down for the drive.

Mid-length / fun board if it’s small / sloppy. Daily driver / Small wave performance board If it’s cleaner or you want to shred.

bluengreen

Michael Peterson status
Oct 22, 2018
SF x Encinitas
My brother sent me some footage of Acid Drops 2x overhead pumping last July so I'm bringing a CI Twin Pin as a step-up, a regular shortboar, and Plasmic. Hopefully that covers my bases.

Reactions: MathDebater

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
My brother sent me some footage of Acid Drops 2x overhead pumping last July so I'm bringing a CI Twin Pin as a step-up, a regular shortboar, and Plasmic. Hopefully that covers my bases.
Waiohai's right, is a fun ride to the end. Look out for the stumpy coral head.

ACid Drop, is a dump-in and go. No lane changers ....

Center's @ 4 to 6 gets fun. Sometimes the back wash makes it a little bumpy

dam! sucks with no car!

bluengreen

Michael Peterson status
Oct 22, 2018
SF x Encinitas
We might rent a car but it is so damn expensive. Trying to minimize costs with a family of 4. I hear there are no Uber/Taxis on the island. Is this true?

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
Let us know if you find that shallow spot on the inside of the left at PK's!? I've found it a couple times now. Grrrrrrrr.