Kauai condo for vacation rent

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
Heeeey Oceanslide ...
Very nice to meet You and Your Ohana and to have sunset in Hanalei.
Safe travels. Love and Aloha from Kauai's north shore ~ :wave2:

Surfdog's condo unit rocks. Clean & convenient for Kauai's north shore.
Quiet! Maintained property.

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
I appreciate the props Oceanslide and :cheers: to PPK for his kind words.

Fall and Winter is coming and availability is still good for those interested. Airfares are the lowest I've seen in years for non-holiday periods going into Thanksgiving. :wave2:

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
2018 availability update:

Get reservations/hold dates EARLY with minimum, fully refundable deposits. Fall/Winter 2018 interest is picking up. Get reservations in soon for favored holiday periods.

PayPal now available for last minute bookings.

Update on move: My business transition is being delayed well into the latter part of this year now. So, I've tentatively pushed out to March 30, 2019 as the cut-off date for rentals beyond that time. Some hints I may have to push out further into the year, as my boss is backing off retiring this year now (kinda frustrating, to say the least). Will update in the coming months.

Aug 18 thru Oct 2 is OPEN

Oct 3 thru Oct 9 is BOOKED

Oct 10 thru Oct 16 is OPEN

Oct 17 thru Oct 31 is BOOKED

Nov 1 thru Dec 26 is OPEN

Dec 27 thru Dec 31 is BOOKED

Jan 1 thru March 30 2019 (and possibly beyond) is NOW OPEN
Inquire if interested past March 30, 2019.

PM me for details and a brochure I put together, or send me a e-mail (click "Surfdog" above avatar for e-mail address), or leave message here.

Rates are STILL at "Bro-deal" prices for 2018, and starting at $120 a night for minimum 3 night stays.

Visits longer than 8 days are discounted even more (almost like one night FREE). Stays longer than 2 weeks are even better, and negotiable. Get reservations in early for best dates.

:wave2:

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
2018/2019 availability update:

Get reservations/hold dates EARLY with minimum, fully refundable deposits. Fall/Winter 2018 interest is picking up. Get reservations in soon for favored holiday periods.

Update on move: My business transition is being delayed well into next year now. So, I've tentatively pushed out to May 31, 2019 as the cut-off date for rentals beyond that time. Some hints I may have to push out further, as my boss is backing off retiring until next year now (kinda frustrating, to say the least). Will update in the coming months.

Sept 20 thru Oct 2 is OPEN

Oct 3 thru Oct 9 is BOOKED

Oct 10 thru Oct 16 is OPEN

Oct 17 thru Oct 31 is BOOKED

Nov 1 thru Nov 21 is OPEN

Nov 22 thru Dec 2 is BOOKED

Dec 3 thru Dec 26 is OPEN

Jan 1 thru Feb 11, 2019 is OPEN

Feb 12 thru March 5 is BOOKED

March 6 thru May 31 2019 (and possibly beyond) is NOW OPEN
Inquire if interested past May 31, 2019.

PM me for details and a brochure I put together, or send me a e-mail (click "Surfdog" above avatar for e-mail address), or leave message here.

Rates are STILL at "Bro-deal" prices for 2018/2019, and starting at $120 a night for minimum 3 night stays.

Visits longer than 8 days are discounted even more (almost like one night FREE). Stays longer than 2 weeks are even better, and negotiable. Get reservations in early for best dates.

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
2018/2019 availability update:

Get reservations/hold dates EARLY with minimum, fully refundable deposits. Winter/Spring 2019 interest is picking up. Get reservations in soon for favored holiday periods.

Update on move:looks like changes in move plans are in hiatus. So, cottage will be available into most of 2019, at least thru end of summer/early fall. Will update in the coming months.

Nov 22 thru Dec 2 is BOOKED

Dec 3 thru Dec 26 is OPEN

Jan 1 thru Feb 11, 2019 is OPEN

Feb 12 thru March 5 is BOOKED

March 6 thru July 28 is OPEN

July 29 thru Aug 5 is BOOKED

Aug 6 thru Nov 2019 is OPEN

Inquire if interested past Nov 30, 2019.

Rates are STILL at "Bro-deal" prices for 2018/2019, and starting at $125 a night for minimum 3 night stays.

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
Surf has been pretty good so far moving through our "winter season." Beach breaks have taken a little longer to get the sand moved around. Typical on again / off again rainy days for December. Christmas eve /day it rained with Flood warnings for the north shore of Kauai. Overcast with light AM showers today. (12 / 26)
PineTree's 2-3
The Bay 2-4+

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
After much contemplation and new directions being looked at, we've decided to put our cottage in Princeville on the real estate market.

So, as of today, we are no longer taking any new reservations into this year.

If we don't get close to our asking price, we may decide to keep it for a while longer while we decide our numerous options. We may then decide to rent it back out again on a limited basis.

I've only rented to friends, family, and word of mouth. This site is my ONLY online presence, as I consider most all real surfers "friends" in a tribal sort of way. It's worked out pretty well for the most part, and most all that have rented have treated it with respect and left it in good condition. Lots of props go out to PPK for his enduring Aloha to all that he's met, referred and given to visitors lucky enough to meet up with him while staying on Kauai at my place there in Princeville. His Aloha is legendary in itself.

So, this may be the last post from me on this thread for a while. I will keep all informed of its sale (or not) when it happens. If anyone has interest in the property, please feel free to PM or e-mail me to inquire on the details (click on "Surfdog" above avatar, and view profile). I have a RE agent on Kauai I can refer you to, if serious.

Thanks again to all that have rented my place thru the last 9 years or so. I hope all had a great time and great memories of Kauai during their stay.

Aloha. :wave2:

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Thanks Surf Dog. My friends and family have had a great time at your place. Bummer to see it go, but appreciate the very affordable rate you offered and the good times.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
Racer1 said:
Thanks Surf Dog. My friends and family have had a great time at your place. Bummer to see it go, but appreciate the very affordable rate you offered and the good times.
Ditto.

Thanks Surfdog. :cheers:

My family and I have had some epic trips staying at your place. My oldest took her first steps in your condo. I also surfed a very memorable (and scary) solid 10ft day out at the bay. Great memories!

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
sorry to hear about the change in plans jim
and thanks for the opportunities to stay there over the years
any plans for the boards?

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
Hey oneula.

So glad you and Racer were able to visit those few long weekends from Oahu. I know it's a nice break from town mini-freeway life.

I'm keeping my Imua mini-longboard and shipping it back to the mainland. The owner/shaper/glasser of Imua is a high school buddy of mine from Redondo. He's done quite well for himself there and one of thee go to guys on Kauai for glassing, but shapes pretty darn good too.

The Terry Chung Kinimaka board you donated to my place is going to stay on Kauai, unless you want it? I'm thinking of giving it to PPK to either keep or give back to Alikai or Titus. Maybe give it Titus' Quiksilver Shop in Hanalei as a wall-hanger?

That board has watched over my place since you've left it, and I think it's mana has kept my place safe from shady characters all these years since. That board needs to stay somewhere special on the North Shore of Kauai.

The other 2 boards (faded beater Brewer Plumeria, and very decent McCoy neon green super-slim old school Pipe gun) are probably going with the place, unless the new owner doesn't want them. I may sell those off, or do a trade at the monthly board swap meet in Hanalei?

PPK thought maybe you and your brother might be interested in the place? Not sure if that's a option you've thought of, but it'd be my pleasure if you want to consider it?

I'm going to miss that place, but who know's, we might not sell if things don't go down as hoped for? Interest seems pretty good so far, and our asking price is not unrealistic like many I've seen there lately (and stuck on the market for months)

Aloha and will be in touch.

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
jkb said:
Racer1 said:
Ditto.

Thanks Surfdog. :cheers:

My family and I have had some epic trips staying at your place. My oldest took her first steps in your condo. I also surfed a very memorable (and scary) solid 10ft day out at the bay. Great memories!
Glad you have those great memories while visiting Kauai and my place. The bay can get intimidating at solid size, but such good waves can be had on those magic screamers.

The legend PPK and some other local schlubs. :hat: :wave2:

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
It's official.

Surfdogs Kauai cottage/condo in Princeville is sold.

Took 3 different buyers to get there, but 3rd times a charm I guess?

My condo association made it near a living hell to deal with simple requests, and almost lost the 3rd buyer because of them.

My place was great, loved it more than I could ever say, but the association sadly dropped the ball on maintenance on mine and much worse on others over the last 10+ years, and now it's biting them in the ass. Special assessments already approved are probably not going to be enough, and will need more. Complex is still very nice, but below the surface there's issues.

The new owner will still be renting it out, if previous renters here still have interest. Send me a PM if you want contact info, she's looking forward to hearing from previous visitors and may even give you the "bro deal" like I did to most here. Vacation rents in Princeville are even higher yet, and I was going to have to raise my rates again, if I kept it.

Aloha to all. I will still be visiting Kauai and my friends there, and maybe even stay in my old place doing so.

Surfdog :wave2:

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
Sorry to see her go surfdog, but congrats on the sale.

Can you pm me the new owners info?

I'll be keen to stay there next time I go.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
After it listed as in escrow, my wife said she wanted to buy it. Didn't know you went through 3 buyers. I think we would have made an offer. Sounds like maybe we dodged a bullet? Anyway, congratulations!

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
congrats Jim
I'm sure its was a hard decision
and mahalo for the opportunity for a staycation over the years

Maybe the green chung could go to Titus's shop or the Hanalei Surf Shop as a display item
It used to hang behing the counter at Tropical Rush for years
I fell in love with it and bought it as a package with a Brewer fish

Unfortunately Alekai might cause some pilikia and want it back after seeing it

That was a great big wave board, that Imua was a pretty board as well

Best Wishes
b

The Alekai Terry Chung and your Imua on the wall

The new orange Terry Chung that replaced the green board

better outline pic

the Tropical Rush package deal that one of Mark Spindler's baby fins in front of the rear

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
Well dam! Sorry to see you making the move. T'was a good run for you though and you stocked a few people with your generosity as well. I have room downstairs for any boards that you want to leave behind.

Deb's off to South Africa with her relatives for 5 weeks. When she gets back I'm looking at some National Parks when it cools down some and the crowds diminish maybe around Sept.

don't be a stranger! Drop in and rattle a few bones around here. Love and Aloha from Kauai's north shore.

PPK

1965 1/2 mile from Yokohama Bay, Oahu. movie: Hawaii :wave2:

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
Hey PPK. I'm bummed I didn't get a chance to meet up while I was there in mid-May to pick up a few items we wanted to keep. I had only a few days to do a bunch of stuff and meet with my on-island manager, RE agent, and Dave of Imua fame (we're old high school/water polo buds). I will definitely meet up when I head over again. I also wanted to thank you again for all the aloha and inside info you passed along to renters at my place over the years. You're kind of a living legend on that side of the island.

I was able to trade the Imua with Dave for another of his personal stash that was bit less wide/mini-Mal in shape. My Santa Monica hard case wasn't wide enough for big-Green (watermelon board as my wife called it). Dave likes his boards wider, he's a big guy. So I needed to do something if I wanted to get a personal board home in the deal. Other boards in bedroom stayed behind.

Oneula, I did take Alikai's Terry Chung over to Titus shop in Hanalei. I just missed Titus' wife when I went by with it first time, as she's kind of running the biz more than Titus at the moment. Talked to her briefly on the phone, and she asked if I wanted to sell it to them. I said no, it's my gift, since you donated it yourself to stay on Kauai (so grateful for that!). My buddy Dave knows Alikai pretty well, and he wanted me to give it directly to him (my wish too), because Titus and Alikai are still kinda on the outs as brothers (long story I guess). Turns out Dave didn't get ahold of him or had an old number. So I left it at Titus shop in Hanalei with a note and my info, hoping Titus might either use it as a wall hanger in his shop, or give it to Alikai and maybe mend some bridges in doing so. Never heard back one way or the other, unfortunately :shrug:. It's staying in Kauai, with the Kinimaka family at the very least.

Aloha and Mahalo to all that were able to enjoy a piece of Kauai paradise. :wave2:

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
Well, recently noticed the new owner has our old place on VRBO now.

>>Surfdogs old place now on VRBO with new owner<<

Not much changed, but no boards on wall in hallway anymore.

I think she's probably charging quite a bit more than market rates for a 2 bdrm condo without an ocean view. Add the taxes and fees charged, and you could get a real nice ocean front place, if not higher end hotel with ocean view and all their onsite amenities.

I haven't seen any new bookings in the last month or so since it's been on VRBO. I think the Christmas weeks and early May 2020 week are her visits. She's also had to get a few things done just after we sold (termite tenting, a few minor upkeep items), so it's full availability probably starts next month.

She may be in for a reality check on that rate she's charging, along with all the fees and taxes ($1000 alone in fees and taxes for 6 nights, not counting the nightly rate!)

I couldn't honestly charge that much, after comparing comps in the area, even if I didn't want to pass on the bro deals I gave out here. :shrug:

Power to her if she can get it.