Kauai condo for vacation rent

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
Racer1 said:
The other issue is that you can't really see a set coming in, until it's in front of you.

Maybe cause it's closer to the storm than Oahu?

I'm usually good at anticipating sets, but don't spot them at Hanalei.
Ya, I think that's more of a swell direction thing at times too. It's pretty deep just off the bay, except for the assorted outer reefs, that are way the hell outside the bay. Queens reef is on the west end. Kings is way the hell straight out. And Outside Futures (NE and out a ways) can fool you with their supposed "indicator" waves that don't always translate to a set wave at the point. What you think might be a indicator wave up top the point, isn't necessarily so.

So ya, you have to keep your eyes on the horizon a bit more, and that doesn't even guarantee you'll see it. Some sets just pop more than others. I think swell period may play a role in that too, or multiple swells, directions and periods all combining for unseen double-ups.

Good times.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Surfdog said:
Racer1 said:
I'd say ounce for ounce, Hanalei is the most frightening wave to surf. I think it's scarier than Pipe or Sunset at the same size. I don't know what it is, it just feels so uncomfortable.

It's no surprise Kauai guys do well at Sunset (Andy, Fuller, Valerie, Kamalei, etc).
Ya, when you look at all the other bay spots (middles, etc;) and out to the Haena breaks at real size, along with other winter type breaks on the island, they just feel more raw and powerful in general. No wonder the Kauai boyz do well when surfing the North Shore contests in similar size. It's like the difference between skiing a vertical chute in the Rockies and skiing the black diamond runs at Tahoe. Both challenging, but one WAY more hairball.
Pfft, anything would be a breeze after 2x - 4x overhead Hanalei.

Pancakes15

OTF status
Mar 17, 2015
Racer1 said:
Pancakes15 said:
Just got back from a week in Kauai, stayed in Hanalei Bay.

That end bowl section is tricky. I surfed it last Friday, pretty big out. Broke a rental board. The day before was bigger, I did not go out.

Its a fun wave but yea, the current, swing sets, and that bowl section make it pretty difficult.
Was out for four hours on Friday, saw two broken boards. Was yours a longboard/funshape rental? I think we both got worked on the same set between the end bowl and the middle. I came up and you were about 20 yards inside me with two pieces.
Haha maybe so, I was on a 6'4" firewire pyzalien....were you on a red board? I saw some guy look back before the wave in case he had to ditch and I was about 30 yards back from him.

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
2017 and 2018 availability update:

Get reservations/hold dates EARLY with minimum, fully refundable deposits.
Winter/2018 interest is picking up. Get reservations in soon for favored holiday periods.

PayPal now available for last minute bookings.

Update on move: My business transition is being delayed at least 6 more months. So, I've tentatively pushed out to July 1, 2018 as the cut-off date for rentals beyond that time.

Dec 4 thru Dec 14 is BOOKED

Dec 15 thru Dec 29 is OPEN

Dec 30 thru Jan 9 is BOOKED

Jan 10 thru Jan 17 is OPEN

Jan 18 thru Jan 24 is BOOKED

Jan 25 thru Jan 30 is OPEN

Jan 31 thru Feb 9 is BOOKED

Feb 10 thru Feb 12 is OPEN

Feb 13 thru March 3 is BOOKED

March 4 thru May 1, 2018 is OPEN

May 2 thru May 8 is BOOKED

May 9 thru June 30 2018 is OPEN

PM me for details and a brochure I put together, or send me a e-mail (click "Surfdog" above avatar for e-mail address), or leave message here.

Rates are STILL at "Bro-deal" prices for 2017 and 2018, and starting at $120 a night for minimum 3 night stays.

Visits longer than 8 days are discounted even more (almost like one night FREE). Stays longer than 2 weeks are even better, and negotiable. Get reservations in early for best dates.

:wave2:

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
2018 availability update:

Get reservations/hold dates EARLY with minimum, fully refundable deposits.
Winter/Spring 2018 interest is picking up. Get reservations in soon for favored holiday periods.

Update on move: My business transition is being delayed at least 6 more months. So, I've tentatively pushed out to July 1, 2018 as the cut-off date for rentals beyond that time.

Dec 15 thru Dec 29 is OPEN

Dec 30 thru Jan 9 is BOOKED

Jan 10 thru Jan 17 is OPEN

March 4 thru March 7 is OPEN

March 8 thru March 12 is BOOKED

March 13 thru May 1, 2018 is OPEN

May 2 thru May 8 is BOOKED

May 9 thru June 30 2018 is OPEN

PM me for details and a brochure I put together, or send me a e-mail (click "Surfdog" above avatar for e-mail address), or leave message here.

Rates are STILL at "Bro-deal" prices for 2018, and starting at $120 a night for minimum 3 night stays.

Visits longer than 8 days are discounted even more (almost like one night FREE). Stays longer than 2 weeks are even better, and negotiable. Get reservations in early for best dates.

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR

Get reservations/hold dates EARLY with minimum, fully refundable deposits. Spring/Summer 2018 interest is picking up. Get reservations in soon for favored holiday periods.

Update on move: My business transition is being delayed at least 6 more months. So, I've tentatively pushed out to July 1, 2018 as the cut-off date for rentals beyond that time. Some hints I may have to push out further into the year, as my boss is backing off retiring this year now. Will update in the coming months.

March 3 thru March 9 is BOOKED

March 10 thru April 28 is OPEN

April 29 thru May 8 is BOOKED

May 9 thru June 30 2018 (and possibly more) is OPEN

Rates are STILL at "Bro-deal" prices for 2018, and starting at $120 a night for minimum 3 night stays.

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR

Get reservations/hold dates EARLY with minimum, fully refundable deposits. Spring/Summer 2018 interest is picking up. Get reservations in soon for favored holiday periods.

Update on move: My business transition is being delayed well into the latter part of this year now. So, I've tentatively pushed out to Oct 1, 2018 as the cut-off date for rentals beyond that time. Some hints I may have to push out further into the year, as my boss is backing off retiring this year now (kinda frustrating, to say the least). Will update in the coming months.

March 10 thru March 20 is OPEN

March 21 thru March 25 is BOOKED

March 26 thru April 28 is OPEN

May 9 thru May 18 is OPEN

May 19 thru May 27 is RESERVED dates may change slightly

May 29 thru Sept 30 2018 (and possibly more) is NOW OPEN

frontsidegrab

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 4, 2014
Many Mahalos to Surf Dog! I had a most epic trip with the wife for 10 days and we both loved the place. Lovely area. Very well kept. Great, spacious design. It was our favorite vacation yet. My wife literally cried when we had to leave.
Next time, I'm staying 2 weeks minimum.

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
Hey crotchgrab. Really appreciate the props on the cottage in Princeville. Glad you and your wife really enjoyed your stay and had great visit to Kauai. Deposit refund is on its way.

Look forward to hearing from you again for your next visit, If we haven't made the move over by year end.

My boss is still unsure when he will retire or semi-retire at this point, and hand over most of the reigns to me. Kind of in limbo at the moment (which sucks). Really want to have that nailed down before I make the big leap.

So the cottage may be available well into the end of this year at a minimum, at this point.

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR

Update on move: My business transition is being delayed well into the latter part of this year now. So, I've tentatively pushed out to Oct 1, 2018 as the cut-off date for rentals beyond that time. Some hints I may have to push out further into the year, as my boss is backing off retiring this year now (kinda frustrating, to say the least). Will update in the coming months.

March 21 thru March 25 is BOOKED

March 26 thru April 2 is OPEN

April 3 thru April 10 is BOOKED

April 11 thru April 28 is OPEN

May 9 thru May 16 is OPEN

May 17 thru May 26 is BOOKED

May 27 thru Sept 30 2018 (and possibly beyond) is NOW OPEN
Inquire if interested past Oct. 1.

obslop

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Feb 4, 2002
san diego, CA
we're heading out in July and staying on the south shore again because well . . . that's where the surf is in the summer.

having scoured the rental options though i'm not sure that you can find a better deal on the island than what surfdog has on offer here.

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR

March 25 thru April 1 is Reserved
(pending final dates)
April 3 thru April 10 is BOOKED

April 11 thru April 16 is OPEN

April 17 thru April 20 is BOOKED

April 21 thru April 28 is OPEN

May 27 thru July 17 is OPEN

July 18 thru July 22 is BOOKED

July 23 thru Sept 30 2018 (and possibly beyond) is NOW OPEN
Inquire if interested past Oct. 1.

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
Surfdog said:

Update on move: My business transition is being delayed well into the latter part of this year now. So, I've tentatively pushed out to Jan 10, 2019 as the cut-off date for rentals beyond that time. Some hints I may have to push out further into the year, as my boss is backing off retiring this year now (kinda frustrating, to say the least). Will update in the coming months.

May 27 thru July 17 is OPEN

July 23 thru Oct 16 is OPEN

Oct 17 thru Oct 31 is BOOKED

Nov 1 thru Jan 10 2019 (and possibly beyond) is NOW OPEN
Inquire if interested past Jan 10, 2019.

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR

Get reservations/hold dates EARLY with minimum, fully refundable deposits. Summer/Fall 2018 interest is picking up. Get reservations in soon for favored holiday periods.

Update on move: My business transition is being delayed well into the latter part of this year now. So, I've tentatively pushed out to Jan 10, 2019 as the cut-off date for rentals beyond that time. Some hints I may have to push out further into the year, as my boss is backing off retiring this year now (kinda frustrating, to say the least). Will update in the coming months.

June 11 thru July 17 is OPEN

July 23 thru Oct 16 is OPEN

Nov 1 thru Jan 10 2019 (and possibly beyond) is NOW OPEN
Inquire if interested past Jan 10, 2019.

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR

Get reservations/hold dates EARLY with minimum, fully refundable deposits. Summer/Fall 2018 interest is picking up. Get reservations in soon for favored holiday periods.

Update on move: My business transition is being delayed well into the latter part of this year now. So, I've tentatively pushed out to March 30, 2019 as the cut-off date for rentals beyond that time. Some hints I may have to push out further into the year, as my boss is backing off retiring this year now (kinda frustrating, to say the least). Will update in the coming months.

July 23 thru Oct 2 is OPEN

Oct 3 thru Oct 9 is BOOKED

Oct 10 thru Oct 16 is OPEN

Nov 1 thru March 30 2019 (and possibly beyond) is NOW OPEN
Inquire if interested past March 30, 2019.

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
If anyone has been looking for cheaper airfares to Kauai lately, Hawaiian (and likely others) have some incredibly cheap rates for Sept.-Nov. going right now. I just scored a R/T from SAN to LIH for $333!! I haven't seen these rates in years, if not decades!

Only a few dates in Sept with that low $333 rate left, but many mid-week rates in the high $300's to low-mid $400's still available.

Also decent rates on car rentals too, if you know where to search. I have a local island web-site that consistently beats most other larger rental car sites. DiscountHawaiiCarRental.com

Making my trip under $500 for R/T air and car rental for a week.

Check it out, if planning a trip this fall. :wave2:

Oceanslide

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2008
Oceanside, CA
My wife, 2 kids, and I stayed at Surfdog's condo in Princeville for 4 nights recently and really liked
the place. It's nice, spacious, comfortable, and has everything we needed for our stay, plus
it's convenient to whatever you want to do on the north shore of Kauai. We went to the south shore
for the second part of our trip, otherwise we would have been happy to stay at J's place the whole
time. I'd stay there again for sure and definitely recommend reaching out to him if you're planning
a trip there. Cheers and mahalo, Surfdog! :wave2: