Kauai closest fun waves to Princeville next week, Kealia?

ChaseTMP

Billy Hamilton status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
Wife booked The Westin Princeville Ocean Villas for a week starting next Tuesday. Of course I missed/missing the best south swell in a long time which would have been fun at Ammonia’s or outer Poipu. I told her we’re on the wrong side of the island for it being summer, but got the “not every vacation is a surf trip”, so…I’m in Princeville with our 15 year old daughter and her BFF.

It looks like it’s getting much smaller by our arrival Tuesday and with the lack of predicted swell, I have low expectations. Is Kealia on the East side my best bet? Surflies’ forecast is pretty much 2-3 everywhere for the week I’m there (till the evening of the 26th).

I wasn’t going to bring a board, but it’s pretty cheap on United out/into LAX, so if there’s some trade-swell I’ll have a board. Kealia is about 30 minutes away compared to Poipu at 70 minutes. I’ve been to Pakala enough times to know it’s not my worth my time. That place holds honorable mention in my book for being almost as frustrating as the point at Salt Creek on a strong south.

I’m just bringing my 5’8 Stamps Flare and would be happy with a couple wiggles and the occasional shampoo.

The handful of times I’ve been on Kauai I was in Princeville during the winter and surfed the two really good spots on opposite sides of Hanalei that are not to be discussed on a forum.

I’ve been in Poipu several times during the summer. It’s fine for getting wet and have gotten the south shore with some decent size, but there’s always something off about it when I’ve surfed the PK’s to Kalapaki zone.

I know Kealia will be onshore and I’ll probably get a Man O’ War tentacle wrapped around an appendage, but suggestions are welcome.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: MathDebater