Kandui Quiver

EntropyFletch

Gerry Lopez status
Sep 20, 2006
San Diego
Just turned 40 a month ago and going to Indo for the first time in my life (I cant believe I just wrote that...).

I've been surfing since I was 9, and traveled to a lot of amazing destinations to surf...but somehow never made it to Indo.

Since I'm turning 40 and convinced my wife to let me go (while she stays home with our 3 kids all under 10...), decided to go all in and will be staying with Kandui Resorts in early Sept. I'm a Goofy foot and am stoked to go left, but also enjoy trying to get tubed on my back-hand.

Still trying to decide on my quiver...thinking I'm going to bring 4 boards. Here's a couple of combo options I'm thinking of bringing:
Option 1:
5'7" McNeill Rasta Torus Twin (28L?): I love this board frontside in waves from waist hi to several feet overhead...it just freakin flies. Still having a hard time on my backhand on it though.
5'11" Plus One Altered Mind Machine (30L): Daily Driver to Step-up, 5-fin set up
6'0" Pyzel Ghost (30L): 5-fin set up, have ridden this board at my local mushy reef break and really didn't like it. Hoping its the waves and not me and looking forward to using this as a step up in Indo for HH-DOH (?)
6'2" Plus One The Show (29L): Step-up. Lower volume than the Ghost but longer thinner lines

Option 2:
Switch out the McNeill RTT with another small-wave board. Options include 5'6" Album Fascination Asymmetrical fish, potentially a 5'10" Album DisAsymm, 5'7" CI MTF, 5'8" CI Sampler or something else fun for smaller waves. Maybe a 5'8" Pyzel Gremlin?

Switch out the 6'2" Plus One with more of a true step-up...perhaps a 6'4" CI Taco Grinder?

I guess I'm wondering what I should bring for the smaller and larger sides of the equation...HH and under and 10'/DOH+

What would you bring?

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
You'll want to make a decision as close as possible to your trip so you can see what the forecast is looking like but my recommendation would be to definitely the Ghost as your daily / step up. I wouldn't be surprised if you end up riding that daily if you had a decent run of swell. You'll enjoy the extra paddle power and the shape obviously suites those waves.

I'd steer clear of the straight fish unless the forecast is calling for tiny tine waves. The altered mind machine seems like a good ticket if it's basically your daily good wave shortboard.

Here's the way I would think about it - one shortboard for good small to medium waves (2' - 5'), shortboard for good medium to overhead waves (4' - 8') and step up for good bigger waves (6' - 12')

Kanduis and Riffles are both no joke waves. Think about whether or not you'd really be out there on a 6'4 which based on the sizes of the boards you mentioned, would IMO be the biggest you'd ever need / want in the ments.

Apr 2, 2015
Looks like you got it covered. Kandui is the best resort in indo in my opinion so good choice. Its absolutely beautifull there. The perfect spot. I dont like the owners but thats not the issue. There good hosts but only to there guests. I am on a yacht. Solo and a decade ago they were friendly but as time went on they got to be assholes. Exclusive retards.tavarua style dicks
Any way thats my problem. Not yours.
So here is my thoughts. Riffles is a very ridable wave its fast its heavy. If its good there will be in excess of 60 guys out. You want to get in deep and go fast. So pick youre fastest big board for that wave of a life time.
No kandui is heavy duty and if you are not a solid barrel rider you cant make this wave.
Only bankvaults is heavier.
There are lots of other waves that you can ride a fish at on all size days. Def bring a fish. For speed.
In any case you will have lots of choices for surf breaks and kandui will make sure you score the best suited waves to yourr ability.
Have a awesome trip. If its swell you will have a trip of a life time .

EntropyFletch

Gerry Lopez status
Sep 20, 2006
San Diego
Thanks...I think I know what I'm gonna do but will definitely wait till I see a forecast. The problem is having all the boards to choose from that late in the game!

The Altered Mind Machine is a great board for my local when its bigger, not really for when its small (3-6'). I think I'm gonna find a more HP shorty in the 5'10" range for my DD for this trip, in the 28-29L range.

BTW my dims are 6' x 165#

I'm now thinking 5'10" HPSB DD, 6'0" Ghost, 6'2" and 6'4" step-ups.

BTW I do like big waves and anticipate I would surf Rifles and No Kandui's if they are truly pulsing...but having said that I've never been there and I did just turn 40 so I reserve the right to change my mind!

EntropyFletch

Gerry Lopez status
Sep 20, 2006
San Diego
Just bought a 5-10 Pyzel Phantom for my lower end...now going with:

5-10 Pyzel Phantom (30.1L)
6-0 Pyzel Ghost (29.7L)
6-2 Plus One The Show (29.5L)

...aaaaaanddddd either a fish if forecast is small or a 6'4" if forecast is pumping.

indodreams

Nep status
Mar 25, 2011
Just make sure you take your favourite board you ride all the time in everyday waves as plenty of just fun waves in that area especially on smaller swells, you can ride any type of board in these waves, like said above fish type boards etc even go great in these waves. (4 Bobs, A frames, Burgers, Nippussie, Pit stops, beng beng etc)

Then a board for the more challenging waves if your game (Riffles, Kandui, Bank vaults, Hideaways, Ebay)

Again agree with above post No Kandui is a heavy wave as is Bank vaults only really for really good surfers, the other three are more approachable as long as not too big.