Kai Lenny's SUP-foil

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
Holy Poop!

I started surfing at the end of the hollow board era that was transitioning to a lighter wooden material called balsa wood. I've seen and surfed most surfable watercraft within my time on the ocean.

Tonight, watching the video that was posted was rather mesmerizing thinking that a young man, a young boy, was skimming over the surface of the ocean on a "watercraft" that is noiseless, energized and moved by ocean swells, quite possibly, well eventually to carry a person from Island to Island as well.

Sixty (60) plus years (+/-) in surfing has taken me from Duke Kahanamoku and his accomplishments to Kai Lenny and *foil surfing*, if that's the correct term. It's pretty mind boggling when thinking back now and having the same enthusiasm as Kai Lenny being in the ocean and riding assorted watercraft to it's full potential.

Mahalo for posting the video! Made me smile and shake my head. :wave2:

potato-nator

Phil Edwards status
Nov 10, 2015
one reason we should pay attention is this is the direction in which the americas' cup sailboats are headed.

manjushri

Billy Hamilton status
Jan 3, 2009
+62
This is so AWESOME!!

They finally found a use for SUP's

Far, far, away from everyone else

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
how much drag does the foil introduce when you're hoofin' it upwind?

I wonder if there's a way to bolt-on when you make the turn for the
downwind return?

mahoa

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jan 31, 2008
afoaf said:
how much drag does the foil introduce when you're hoofin' it upwind?

I wonder if there's a way to bolt-on when you make the turn for the
downwind return?
probably similar to one-person outriggers with those big surf rudders. drag is hardly noticeable, unless you pickup some seaweed.

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
The light weight fiberglass or the more expensive carbon fiber Single person outrigger canoe's have a SMALL 6 -10 inch rudder under the hull at the rear and actuated by foot peddles within the upper area where you sit. By pushing on either foot peddle the canoe turns left or right.

The older type Polynesian outrigger canoes are generally turned left or right by placing the blade of the paddle onto either side of the canoe to turn just aft, of your hip. The Steersman's Paddle blade is bigger and wider than the canoe paddler's blades.

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
acnjusa said:
one reason we should pay attention is this is the direction in which the americas' cup sailboats are headed.

Larry Ellison (think Oracle) has already accomplished the feat of winning the Americas Cup on a "wing foiled" carbon fiber catamaran in San Fransisco Bay in 2013.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052702303393804579312803907849782

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
my friend makes and races paddleboards, i told him to make 1 of those fins for 1

his friend made a fin that didnt really work and caught seaweed. plan scrapped.

this was like 8 years ago

Peter1

Nep status
Jul 29, 2005
Wasn't Laird doing this already? I know it was tow-in hydrofoil, but he should get some credit for planting the seed...

mahoa

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jan 31, 2008
PPK96754 said:
The light weight fiberglass or the more expensive carbon fiber Single person outrigger canoe's have a SMALL 6 -10 inch rudder under the hull at the rear and actuated by foot peddles within the upper area where you sit. By pushing on either foot peddle the canoe turns left or right.

The older type Polynesian outrigger canoes are generally turned left or right by placing the blade of the paddle onto either side of the canoe to turn just aft, of your hip. The Steersman's Paddle blade is bigger and wider than the canoe paddler's blades.
I've paddled the Pailolo a couple times, and the open water canoe surfing can be impressive when the trades blow---- but nothing like this.

I reckon Kai could do Maui to Molokai under 2 hours on this thing-- hell probably could keep going and be to Diamond Head by happy hour...

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
mahoa said:
PPK96754 said:

I've paddled the Pailolo a couple times, and the open water canoe surfing can be impressive when the trades blow---- but nothing like this.

I reckon Kai could do Maui to Molokai under 2 hours on this thing-- hell probably could keep going and be to Diamond Head by happy hour...

:roflmao:

:applause2:

:beer:

:wave2: