Just learned...

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Just found out a friend from my childhood died.

Though you were at times maddening as only a 5th grader could be, and I wish I had hit you on the shoulder harder rather than laughing it off, totally am glad for all the shenanigans.

RIP David.

Mayor1

Michael Peterson status
Aug 15, 2005
sorry about your friend. Sounds like he was a good guy who lived his life in a way that most of couldn't even fathom. RIP.

oneworlded

Administrator
Jun 4, 2004
Murrica
chrisdixonreports.com
Mr Doof said:
Just found out a friend from my childhood died.

Though you were at times maddening as only a 5th grader could be, and I wish I had hit you on the shoulder harder rather than laughing it off, totally am glad for all the shenanigans.

RIP David.
F__ kin A. I just heard a report on NPR from one of his colleagues - filed the day he was killed. That dude was balls to the wall. A solid journalist. So sorry to hear that man.

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
What an awful thing to happen to such a committed person.

Sorry for your loss Mr. Doof. He sounds like a really stand up person who got caught in the wrong place at the wrong time.

RIP David P. Gilkey

Mar 2, 2009
Hey Doof, did you grow/him grow up in Portland? Did he/you go to Wilson High by any chance?

The reason I ask is that I have a ton of friends from HS that knew him. I believe we even played baseball against each other. It's so long ago, that every name sounds familiar. But his name definitely does. After reading about his career, I never realized his pics always stood out to me. Like that pic of the kid dying of ebola and everybody was just hovering around, 10 feet away. Not wanting to get near the dying little kid.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
picklestein said:
Hey Doof, did you grow/him grow up in Portland? Did he/you go to Wilson High by any chance?

The reason I ask is that I have a ton of friends from HS that knew him. I believe we even played baseball against each other. It's so long ago, that every name sounds familiar. But his name definitely does. After reading about his career, I never realized his pics always stood out to me. Like that pic of the kid dying of ebola and everybody was just hovering around, 10 feet away. Not wanting to get near the dying little kid.
I grew up in Portland.

I knew him from before he went to highschool, when he went to Bridlemile Elementary, (not all that far from Alpenrose Dairy).

I only found out this weekend past of him dying because I am going to Portland at the end of the month and was going to see what was new with him or if I could find a way to meet up. Had found out he had moved to back to Portland to help out with his folks a while back.

By the way one of my sisters was friends with David's sister. They would play with their model horses and wound up going to any number of horse related functions, but I digress.

David and I were more of the 'lets go down to the creek and throw rocks in the water or try to build (another) dam today", or 'lets go climb trees', 'go find a haunted (abandoned) house' or 'its raining, lets play legos' kind of friends. We also had the college kid buy us some beer when we were in 6th grade with our lawn mover money. He also is responsible for the scar in the back of my head when were throwing rocks at some target in an empty dirt lot and I somehow got in the way...3-5 stiches, and I remember my mom being more freaked out by the huge dirt pile I left at the emergency room.

Then we moved away in 7th grade and went to different high schools. Ended up in the same college though, but never were as close as we were when we were kids.

Anyway, his death is not a soul crushing thing, like say if your current best friend died, but best friends from any time period, even years distant, when they die, it still sucks.