Just did my first zoom...

corndog

Michael Peterson status
Dec 27, 2004
I'd rather pull nose hairs while doing 90 mph down the 5 and have 65 successive sneezes.

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
dear lord...the app is like instagram for the workplace. "hello, look at me, i'm so special, you all need to know about it"....friggin shoot me. how do you people do this?!
Make sure you host the meeting. Put everyone on 'mute on entry', then judiciously use the 'mute all' when needed. You'll feel like an emperor...

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
Do most of you dig holes for a living or something, that video conferencing is something new to you?

Reactions: Leaverite

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
My first sesh is scheduled for tomorrow.

Maybe put a piece of tape over the webcam lens...
You can just leave the camera off. Or turn it on an off at will.

Mic controls are seperate and also can be turned on and off at will. If you are on a computer and your mic is on mute (as it should be) you can hold the spacebar to unmute, like a walkie talkie button.

The host can set it up to be mic/camera off on entry and he can mute you and turn off your camera at his discretion.

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
You can just leave the camera off. Or turn it on an off at will.

Mic controls are seperate and also can be turned on and off at will. If you are on a computer and your mic is on mute (as it should be) you can hold the spacebar to unmute, like a walkie talkie button.

The host can set it up to be mic/camera off on entry and he can mute you and turn off your camera at his discretion.
Fist time bro. I don't want to be fiddling with cameras/mics through my entire first sesh. If people can see me, whatever. I work with the rest of these people daily. They are ugly to begin with. I don't want to have to bleach my eyeballs.

elcalvo

Michael Peterson status
Mar 16, 2004
NE
Do most of you dig holes for a living or something, that video conferencing is something new to you?
Yes, I do dig holes for a living.
I am a building contractor.
Much more fun and satisfying than sitting on my butt in an office all day.
(No offense to all you other guys who work in an office) ;)

Beerbelly

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2010
Had my first and not last zoom mini meltdown this morning. Left without a word. Much better watching paw patrol with my 3 year old.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
always tape paper over your webcam

I never use the video

taping over it ensures that accidents (and hacks) don't happen

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
We use Google Meet and Zoom. You can turn off mics in both, but Zoom lets you do it all at once. And in Google Meet, students can turn their mic back on themselves.

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
We had our 1st Zoom meeting yesterday. It was a clvster fvck.

Since everybody is working remotely, 90% of the participants were remotely logged on when the meeting was supposed to begin. Your webcam and microphone functions do not work when you try to log in to a Zoom sesh remotely. You have to access the Zoom meeting directly on your PC/laptop.

Live and learn. Well, maybe learn a little bit before you die...