Jury Duty

Ranga

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 31, 2008
Got a surf trip in April and got a summons for jury duty during that timeframe. How do I get out of it? I tried to let them know that I held the judicial system in great contempt but that didn't work.

Dekerwild

OTF status
Jul 28, 2017
Just did the summons thing last week. They allow you to skip or postpone due to a trip or other excuses. I went ahead and got my civic duty over with so that it wouldn’t mess up any future plans….as much as I didnt want to get picked I did feel a sense of a small let down when I didn’t get chosen for the jury duty. It was kinda cool to see how the whole process works and definitely glad to be sitting where I was and NOT in the chair picking the peeps who might hold my destiny in their hands…

Reactions: Random Guy

bird.LA

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Jul 14, 2002
LA
Call the courthouse you're scheduled with instead of the main number on the summons. Tell them you need to postpone.

They let me push mine back 4 or 5 times in a row using this method.

Reactions: Aruka

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I got summoned and they had a note that there was no parking due to construction so get their early to look for parking.

Real dicky

sizzld1

Phil Edwards status
Mar 31, 2009
If you don't want to serve on a jury and the summons asks you to report shortly before the trip, you might want to go. Show up, when the court asks about hardships tell the judge you have a nonrefundable trip booked, they may or may not ask for proof, and they will let you out of service. You won't receive another summons for at least 12 months after that.

Reactions: Mr Doof

SteveT

Phil Edwards status
Apr 11, 2005
Might get flamed for this, but WTH.
Like the reply above, throw it in the circular file drawer.
Up until the last 10 years or so I never replied and never was called out.
My excuse of late is "my brother-in-law serves on the SBPD.
Hey Mr. Ocean, how's it been?:giggle:

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
You throw your summons away the minute you get it

I haven't been to jury duty yet

No wonder I can never get a jury of my peers... you know, transvestite hookers who once serviced 9'4" in the '90s, pyromaniac methheads, serial wire fraudsters, low level petty crims, high level white collar crims, karaoke singers, people who call you at the last second to skip out on something I've been waiting for all day for, the lady who lets her dog poop on your groundcover and doesn't pick it up, "sexual intellectuals" on the erBB, and these guys:

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
If you get called up and they ask you any questions, act like an opinionated jerk. They hate those kind of people on juries.

If you're a nice person and are not comfortable being an opinionated jerk, go spend some time in the politics forum and take some lessons from the pros.

tsenn

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 11, 2004
san diego
I've always got out of jury duty by claiming financial hardship. I say I'm on commissioned sales and need to work to provide income. Have done that probably 4 or 5 times the last 20 years.