JS Sub Xero

HSY

OTF status
Aug 15, 2011
the one Aus JS Ive owned had lam issues.

ymmv, of course.
actually the hyfy i have is an early one and has lam issues too in that a thin layer of epoxy has peeled off anywhere there's a logo or art and a couple other places, but it has shockingly had no effect on the board. Obviously that's a bad flaw but it seems as if they've figure that problem out in newer boards. The defect might have put me off of JS boards forever (since the california glassed ones were so poorly glassed) except that I like this board so much.

Reactions: Aruka and sdsrfr

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
has lam issues too in that a thin layer of epoxy has peeled off anywhere there's a logo or art and a couple other places, but it has shockingly had no effect on the board. Obviously that's a bad flaw but it seems as if they've figure that problem out in newer boards.
literally actually the issue I had with mine.

timeline was right after they shut down the US operation and instead made everything in Aus.

great news if they finally admitted fault but they only offered me 10% off JS branded merch when I raised the issue with them a month after buying the board new OTR.

• Dislike
Reactions: Aruka

HSY

OTF status
Aug 15, 2011
literally actually the issue I had with mine.

timeline was right after they shut down the US operation and instead made everything in Aus.

great news if they finally admitted fault but they only offered me 10% off JS branded merch when I raised the issue with them a month after buying the board new OTR.
Yeah it initially started when my friend first bought the board. Surf shop he bought it from told him that was normal for that construction and didn't even give him 10% off merch. ha! I didn't get the board until later after the problem was pretty widespread. Probably the reason he gave me the board on permanent loan, but I do really like the board. I wonder if those early hyfy boards were made in Australia too. Otherwise they were replicating a bad technique or using the same bad batch of chemicals or lams.

Reactions: sdsrfr

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Yeah it initially started when my friend first bought the board. Surf shop he bought it from told him that was normal for that construction and didn't even give him 10% off merch. ha! I didn't get the board until later after the problem was pretty widespread. Probably the reason he gave me the board on permanent loan, but I do really like the board. I wonder if those early hyfy boards were made in Australia too. Otherwise they were replicating a bad technique or using the same bad batch of chemicals or lams.
ErBB brain trust siad it was likely the lam. Or an acrylic clear coat flaking off that was added to hide other blems.

either way, wall of positive noise wouldn’t have been able to stop the folks here from mentioning it, so seems to be addressed. Number of my ripper buddies love their monstabox‘s and have put them through the ringer (1boar quiver)

Reactions: HSY

Swallow Tail

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 6, 2017
Your Mom’s House
Took out the 5'9 Sub Xero yesterday on her maiden voyage. NCSD reef break.

Fins: Futures AM1 blackstix

Things that were immediately noticeable:

- Getting in SUPER early to waves...such a treat on a board of this size and shape. Guys were asking me what size board I was on and seeing their reaction to "5'9" was fun.

- Super smooth takeoffs. After a few waves I felt confident that I could take this out on an even bigger day even though its meant for smaller days.

- FAST. Even as a thruster setup this thing was flying down the line and rolling over flat spots with ease. As of now I don't have any real reason to ride it as a Twin or Quad.

Really no complaints at this time. I probably should have ordered a full liter less...but other than that I'm a satisfied buyer

View attachment 118552
Sick looking board!
you mind taking measurments 12” from nose n 12” from tail?

May 10, 2018
I have a theory this outline keeps getting recycled by JS. First it was this V2.1 then he Rock and Roll now its the Sub Zero. Not sure about the bottom contours or rocker but I swear the outline is the same and he keeps reintroducing it.
Can add in the nitro / psycho nitro too

Reactions: Waterlogged05

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I have a theory this outline keeps getting recycled by JS. First it was this V2.1 then he Rock and Roll now its the Sub Zero. Not sure about the bottom contours or rocker but I swear the outline is the same and he keeps reintroducing it.
Nice spot Sherlock.

I think you're on to something here.

Looks like they're doing it in other realms as well: