JS Sub Xero

cjs2002

Nep status
Jan 24, 2008
just ordered a 5'9. Liter'd up a bit to make this a true groveler. Ride report to follow.

From JS: https://us.jsindustries.com/surfboards/summer-series/sub-xero

"This is everything you want in small surf. To create the Sub Xero, we combined the new Xero with our long running summer favourite, the Psycho Nitro. It has the Nitro’s ultra-fast low to flat rocker and full outline, but with the nose pulled in a touch, and a wider, straighter tail.

In the engine room, vee in the nose prompts quick rail to rain transitions, moving into a deeper single to double concave, which helps the Sub Xero to hold speed and change directions with minimal energy. Generous thickness & a flatter deck is complemented by slightly pulled down rails, similar to other boards with EasyRider style dimensions. This helps maintain volume throughout, while also making it easy to initiate turns and provide immediate response to hit any section on offer.

It’s designed to be as performance oriented as you could possibly ride in knee high waves, and we couldn’t be more excited to unveil it for those days you wouldn’t even get in the ocean without the right super groveler. For slow waves, you need the fastest board – enjoy the Sub Xero."

Last edited:

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Psyco Nitro is a fun one so Id think this one will be as well. Slightly wider tail sounds good.

Reactions: jkb

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
I like the look of that Sub Xero, the Xero itself doesn really appeal.

I’ll pick the sub up next year sometime when they bring out the new Hyfi version

Reactions: Havoc and Aruka

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
Looks and sounds great. And damn, Joel still surfs smoother than everybody else. But I'm JS gun shy after my BlakBox3 misadventure.

Reactions: Havoc

Hazrus

Nep status
Sep 23, 2016
Boring. A new model for the sake of a new model.

At least JS is transparent in that it's just a different blend of rails/rockers/outline to his previous models.

ciscojaws

Michael Peterson status
Jul 28, 2008
Kook City, VA
Boring. A new model for the sake of a new model.

At least JS is transparent in that it's just a different blend of rails/rockers/outline to his previous models.
Agreed. The most "groudbreaking" new models in recent memory were the Hypto Krypto and Tomo. A fish with a roundtail and a wakeboard with more volume. Well, maybe that's too simplified but you get the gist.

Reactions: Hazrus

claw87

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jan 30, 2017
picked it up today. looks so good.

agreed that it's just a modest update of a previously existing board, but i needed a board like this!
Does it feel like a true groveller? My beloved fling is about to retire

cjs2002

Nep status
Jan 24, 2008
That's a tough question, and I'll have a better response after I ride it. What I can say is that the rocker is really close to flat with the tiniest flip in the nose. I've never ridden or held a fling so I can't compare, but what is obvious is the amount of hidden foam in this board. It doesn't noticeably feel like it's 3 liters more than my typical boards.

This is kind of an experiment for me as I always ride boards at the same volume (32L regardless of shape/purpose) so we will see how it goes!

Either way, the board is beautiful and I got one that was made in Australia (not Thailand) which I can only assume is a good thing :)

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
Either way, the board is beautiful and I got one that was made in Australia (not Thailand) which I can only assume is a good thing :)
all the PUs are made in Oz, the HyFi are Thai Sticks unless you're on the bro-list

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
i think a more apt comparison would be the Fling and Flaming Pony.

fling has a bit chonkier tail than anything JS makes I think.

Reactions: claw87

spjones123

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 24, 2005
I'm glad to see more very low rocker boards with more performance outlines out there.
Much better IMHO than the fat guy boards with ripper rocker.

Will eagerly hope for one to pop up on a used rack or craigslist.
Amen. The JS black Baron is a great board and it’s flat as a pancake. Happily add this 5 fin Black Baron if a used one pops up. And double amen because the Stretch Skate is my favorite short board of all time, and that entry rocker is really really low.

Reactions: Sharkbiscuit

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
I'm glad to see more very low rocker boards with more performance outlines out there.
Much better IMHO than the fat guy boards with ripper rocker.

Will eagerly hope for one to pop up on a used rack or craigslist.
What ever happened to the much hyped Dan Mann Slater designs flat as a door board?

saw tons in the lineup when they first came out and then never again.

Reactions: Sharkbiscuit

cjs2002

Nep status
Jan 24, 2008
Took out the 5'9 Sub Xero yesterday on her maiden voyage. NCSD reef break.

Fins: Futures AM1 blackstix

Things that were immediately noticeable:

- Getting in SUPER early to waves...such a treat on a board of this size and shape. Guys were asking me what size board I was on and seeing their reaction to "5'9" was fun.

- Super smooth takeoffs. After a few waves I felt confident that I could take this out on an even bigger day even though its meant for smaller days.

- FAST. Even as a thruster setup this thing was flying down the line and rolling over flat spots with ease. As of now I don't have any real reason to ride it as a Twin or Quad.

Really no complaints at this time. I probably should have ordered a full liter less...but other than that I'm a satisfied buyer

65688873232--63EB9BDE-1107-4235-AB5A-8F14F9A9E2E4.jpg

HSY

OTF status
Aug 15, 2011
Took out the 5'9 Sub Xero yesterday on her maiden voyage. NCSD reef break.

Fins: Futures AM1 blackstix

Things that were immediately noticeable:

- Getting in SUPER early to waves...such a treat on a board of this size and shape. Guys were asking me what size board I was on and seeing their reaction to "5'9" was fun.

- Super smooth takeoffs. After a few waves I felt confident that I could take this out on an even bigger day even though its meant for smaller days.

- FAST. Even as a thruster setup this thing was flying down the line and rolling over flat spots with ease. As of now I don't have any real reason to ride it as a Twin or Quad.

Really no complaints at this time. I probably should have ordered a full liter less...but other than that I'm a satisfied buyer

View attachment 118552
damn, this might be my next board. Addicted to the hyfy flaming pony I've had on permanent loan from a friend. It's been bulletproof and have been riding it in everything including days it's clearly not meant for so I kinda wish it had a little more top end. Hope they come out with epoxy or hyfy fcs versions of the sub-xero.