JS Monsta Box..HYFI?

Lohena

OTF status
Oct 30, 2019
I love my hyfi Monstabox, but unfortunately it got two stress fractures across the deck under the front foot after about 10 months of use. Strange thing is other than that the durability is great as it has minimal pressure dents and virtually no cracks, a pu would have plenty of both for me by now.

Will get it fixed, but not sure if I would buy another hyfi. Interested to hear how others hyfi are holding up.

Board is great, although it's super picky about fins for me as it has a tendency to track.

Lohena

OTF status
Oct 30, 2019
Ok, finally got my Hyfi Monstabox fixed and thought it would be good to give a detailed review of this board.

I have a 6’2 x 20 ¼ x 2 5/8, 34.6 L. I’m 6’4 195 lbs.

First the good. In soft shouldered waves, everything from waist to slightly overhead, this board absolutely rules. Feels so easy and has so much glide it’s ridiculous. It carries speed so well, but the rails are also nicely foiled such that they still have a high-performance feel. Snaps easily off the lip, and also carries speed so well through turns that I end up having more speed at the end of my turns than when I started.

Now the bad. This board struggles for me in steep waves in all sizes. The board starts to track, gets super stiff, and just does not want to release. This happens for me mostly when my main spot, OBSF, is punchy, even when small. I’ve gone through numerous Futures fins (Pancho, Simon Anderson, Jordy), all of which work great in the soft shouldered conditions described above, and settled on the P8s to loosen it up. But it’s still a little tight if it’s punchy.

My other boards are around 20”+ wide now and they do not feel this same way, so I do think it is a design issue. I’ve taken measurements of my tail width and rockers, and the Monstabox seems to have slightly less rocker and wider tail than the others, and no vee. I’m assuming this would explain it, but I’m curious as to whether anyone else has had this experience, or can explain what design features of this board would make it stiffen up when the waves get steep. I thought a wider tail would loosen it up.

All in all, I still really like this board. OBSF can have all of the above conditions in one session due to currents and such. Just the other week I was at a sandbar that was ledgy and the board felt stiff, an hour later I drifted to a softer peak and the board lit up.

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010
Nice review!
Wide tail boards are harder to turn. Hard to dial in an allrounder for OB. I am 30lbs heavier and ride more volume but I have tried all those fis you mentioned and all but the f8 is the only one I liked the others not at all. The Mayhem is stiff carbon base and loads up and releases, kind of like the hifi. Its smaller than f8 slightly but with more control may make it easier to turn at higher speed.

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
love mine had 2 in pu an 2 hyfi. so fast in clean waves, like another gear added to your surfing speed

Geopac

Billy Hamilton status
Jul 28, 2003
Ballast Point
I have a JS hyfi Monsta Box with exact same dimensions (6’2 x 20 ¼ x 2 5/8, 34.6 L) and absolutely love the thing. Been riding it for 2 years now and its still in great condition. Hint: Keep your board in a day bag and it will last much longer.

Checking in at 6'1" 205lbs I thought this board would last one maybe two seasons max here in San Diego as I surf down the trail and travel with it frequently throughout the year. Going on year three and its still holding up solid with no damage.

This board goes good on slopey'ish SD surf and INSANE on good point waves. If your local consists of point waves or travel to the Mex/Cen Am Points this board is a must add to your quiver.

BajaBoojum

Legend (inyourownmind)
Sep 21, 2009
San Diego
Been looking at these for a while. The shape looks fun for a good wave board for here in SD. Surprised to hear it wouldn't work well in steep conditions, as that is what I'd probably buy it for. Weird. Oddly my CI Neckbeard which I bought for a groveler (it is flat and wide compared to a normal HPSB) works way better in hollow conditions. I'm gonna quit surfing if I buy a board with more curve and rocker that wouldn't work in hollower conditions. haha.

Reactions: Lohena

Lohena

OTF status
Oct 30, 2019
@Lohena , I've not had my 2020 model in steep conditions yet, will report back when I do.
Check out the Noel Salas review of the MB 2020 that drops tomorrow. The new version apparently has more tail rocker and works good in steep waves but not soft ones. Exactly opposite of the OG.

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
Check out the Noel Salas review of the MB 2020 that drops tomorrow. The new version apparently has more tail rocker and works good in steep waves but not soft ones. Exactly opposite of the OG.
Yea I saw that .. looking forward to seing it. It's worked fine in shittier conditions so far btw ... in fact, it's only been sh!t since I've had it, though, I have no basis for comparison against the older ones.

We have some swell coming in the next few days, so will be able to report back :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Lohena

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
My 2cents so far on the 2020 board;

My stats;
40 y/o, 82KG, 178CM, dong is squarely average :(

I have the stock 5.10, 19 3/4, 2 9/16 31.5L - so the fgatboy / dadbod dims.

It's a sharp board with a lot of zing to it ... got my QS on / 3 to the beach on numerous shitty waves.

It's probably unfair making direct comparison between the phantom (my previous daily driver) and the Monstabox, given that I went up by 1.5 L of volume on boards with the same intent / wave range in mind.

That being said, I think the Monstabox has taken the crown as my favourite board for my local conditions. The main reason for this, boils down to the fact that the board gives you time. The board has the uncanny ability to turn and hit a section with no speed at all, so even if you wobble a take off, or got your feet in the wrong spot, you have time to recalibrate to continue and still get turns in. I think the pyzel's a bit faster down the line, the Monstabox pivots faster, particularly hitting the lip.

I have a horrible habit of racing too long to the shoulder of a wave and then trying to do something at the end, but monstabox is helping me getting more turns in on a wave than my Phantom does, because I just don't feel the need to do so with the Monstabox, because of the aforementioned "time luxury" with getting manoeuvres in.

I've surfed it with Aircore AM2 fins and Matt Biolos template ones, and I think I prefer the MB on this board, s the AM2's feel ever so slightly stiff (I like stiff fins generally, but MBs just felt better)